Why Edwards? We have Booker & Chambers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Edwards? We have Booker & Chambers

Linehan usually does use a lot of 3-wide sets and while Booker is good, he doesn't have the speed Edwards has. ALSO, you could use the fact that Booker will be in his 30's this upcoming season and Edwards is a good injection of youth.

If we stay at #2 and don't draft Brown then we should draft Edwards. You'd be surprised at how many 3wr sets we're going to run.

Phinzone said:
now, i'm actually a booker fan, but is he a TRUE #1? He's not really a receiving threat, he's more of a posessino receiver IMO. GREAT #2 man, but lackluster as the #1 man. I think chambers is #1 potential, but he hasn't lived up to it...though he hasn't ever had a real QB throwing to him. Anyway, i wouldn't argue with Edwards coming to Miami, though we have other needs. If we draft at #2 we're going to be paying #2 money. Might as well be for the best player in the draft IMO.

What real QB has ever thrown to Marty Booker? Yes, he is a TRUE #1. You don't have to be a speed guy to fill that role well. Ask Michael Irvin.

edwards with 2nd overall,
rb in the third round.
qb in next years first round if feeley shows no progress this year.

fishypete said:
Maybe at one time....but he isn't playing like a number 1 now. To compare Edwards to Booker is a joke....Booker will never be what Edwards can be...with him and Chambers...Booker would be the 3rd receiver on the field.

By all means, let's just replace every player who didn't play like a number 1 on the offense last year. Booker should be the last of those replaced because unlike the others, he was thrust into a whole different team with mighty struggles stemming from the OC not even knowing the offense being run. If ANY player has a valid excuse for struggling last year, it is Marty Booker.

You're right that comparing Edwards to Booker is a joke. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has caught 100 passes (in a season). Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has TWO 1000 yard seasons. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has a Pro Bowl appearance. When you add that to the *staggering* statistics about how risky it is to take top 5 picks at WR (only 4 of the 10 since 1980 have even had a single 1000 yard season), this path gives me great reason for pause. I'm going to support what Saban does, but this is the one likely path that really worries me.

Phins offense has never been good enough to show if Chambers can be a deep threat or not he didn't deserve that big contract last year, only to have it restructured as soon as Saban came on board. Booker is the perfect middle man & end zone jump threat, adding Edwards would give them a legit deep threat and the best WR duo/trio since the Mark's Brothers.

Jimmy James said:
By all means, let's just replace every player who didn't play like a number 1 on the offense last year. Booker should be the last of those replaced because unlike the others, he was thrust into a whole different team with mighty struggles stemming from the OC not even knowing the offense being run. If ANY player has a valid excuse for struggling last year, it is Marty Booker.

You're right that comparing Edwards to Booker is a joke. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has caught 100 passes. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has TWO 1000 yard seasons. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has a Pro Bowl appearance. When you add that to the *staggering* statistics about how risky it is to take top 5 picks at WR (only 4 of the 10 since 1980 have even had a single 1000 yard season), this path gives me great reason for pause. I'm going to support what Saban does, but this is the one likely path that really worries me.

Your eloquent thoughts are the basis behind my starting this thread.

Dude, you're lost!

LostInPatsLand said:
It looks like we're stuck at two. This completely sucks, but it's reality.

There's talk we're going with Edwards. But Booker is a guy who showed he was a #1 receiver for a couple years in Chicago. Since then, he's been hurt and has played on crappy offenses. And last year, he was traded to the Fins about a week before the season began!

Chambers is a good #1 but a great #2. He can concentrate on being a deep threat. Starting with his rookie year, this was his strength.

I have researched Edwards the last day, and while he looks awfully good, why would we pick him? How often will we have three receivers on the field even in a Linehan system? And will it matter if we have three great receivers if we have crappy RB's and QB's?

I don't even KNOW where to start! You got EVERYTHING wrong!

Let's start where the coaches start: What kind of SYSTEM is your Offensive coordinator going to run?

Linehan's system calls for a spread offense and quickness. It ONLY works when at least one receiver's speed dictates that the defense play him over and under. With Randy Moss in Minn. that left huge gaping holes for possesion receivers to run comeback routes and for very quick backs to pop through on draws.

But it ALL basically plays off the pass. The threat that you're going to pass.

Edwards is the only BIG guy with SPEED that would make the offense Linehan wants to run work. With a guy like Edwards, even Travis Minor would have success with draws and misdirection plays and screens because the focus every game will be in stopping the perimeter speed.

Chambers played the slot in his rookie season and he did NOT spread the defense with his speed, he cut THROUGH the zones with his quickness. There's a big difference in the NFL between speed and quickness. Chambers is a natural slot receiver, he's been a dissapointment as an outside receiver. Booker is a possesion receiver that was covered man to man a lot last year. He doesn't scare anybody.

Now, if we had Edwards on one side and Booker on the other and Chambers in the slot in a Linehan system, you'd terrify defenses.

Drafting QB's before you fully evaluate what you have with Feeley and Frerrotte sounds like a Wanny manuever. Saban will trade down and get the DT and SS help he needs early and get a young QB and RB late and we'll play it from there.

Edwards would be fun to consider, but taking Edwards means we only get 2 players on day one of the draft and that's unnacceptable. We need to convert that #2 overall into 4-5 players on day one. That would be great.

As for WR I want, I think the only name we'll be talking about in a year is Mark Clayton. Yeah, he's not 6' or anything, but he's wicked fast, runs gorgeous routes and just catches EVERYTHING thrown to him. THERE'S your slot receiver who can come in and just destroy defensive schemes with blinding speed.

We do not have quality depth at DT (Chester's coming back from injury, how good will he be this year and Bowens will try once again to go but I doubt his back will let him do it, he's gonna retire) Wide Receiver, Safety, Offensive Line and Running Back (Minor is the ONLY guy that fits Linehan's system, Gordon is an unknown and Morris proved that when healthy he's a playmaker).

Saban needs to pull the trigger on SEVERAL 1st day trades so that we can get 4-5 picks in the first day and elevate the quality of our football team drammatically. Remember, Wanny's and Jimmy's high picks were really, really bad because in the end, when you REACH for a player due to need you almost always screw it up. With a lot of picks we'll have the luxury of taking the best player available up in the first and second rounds. That will lead to a much better draft.

But don't feel bad about getting it all wrong. You probably never paid that much attention to what Linehan was doing in Minn. anyway. The offense we'll be running won't look at ALL like the power running offense we had here for 7 years.

We're gonna be about speed.

Go Phins!!!

Jimmy James said:

You're right that comparing Edwards to Booker is a joke. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has caught 100 passes. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has TWO 1000 yard seasons. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has a Pro Bowl appearance. When you add that to the *staggering* statistics about how risky it is to take top 5 picks at WR (only 4 of the 10 since 1980 have even had a single 1000 yard season), this path gives me great reason for pause. I'm going to support what Saban does, but this is the one likely path that really worries me.

Good post. I would have added 1 more thing:

The success rate of Michigan WRs in the NFL.

Phins Projected Picks

It's my feeling that Phins will go with Edwards with the #2 pick, work out a 2nd round selection and go RB like JJ Arington & 3rd round go after OL or LB.

FiN.in.RI said:
Good post. I would have added 1 more thing:

The success rate of Michigan WRs in the NFL.

I know that is a controversial bullet, so I didn't include it because I felt it might detract from the solidness of the rest of the argument.

Dave Wanns & Spielman left this team in such disarray that Saban will litterally have to rebuild from top to bottom, the D is getting old and is over the hill and must be rebuilt with youth & mix of right vets, the offense may actually be closer than D now cause they have some players at key positions but can't afford to let what they do have go.

Jimmy James said:

You're right that comparing Edwards to Booker is a joke. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has caught 100 passes (in a season). Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has TWO 1000 yard seasons. Unlike any receiver on the Dolphins roster other than him, Booker has a Pro Bowl appearance. When you add that to the *staggering* statistics about how risky it is to take top 5 picks at WR (only 4 of the 10 since 1980 have even had a single 1000 yard season), this path gives me great reason for pause. I'm going to support what Saban does, but this is the one likely path that really worries me.

Pray tell...where and what division did Booker record all those yards...Chicago you say....you mean against the great defense's of the black and blue division...teams like Green Bay, Minnesota, Detroit...all great defense's...in a pig's eye!! Booker was so great...Chicago couldn't get him traded away fast enough....when you play in a weak division...you should look at players records with both eyes open.

Reply to perezferia,

While your analysis of the WR situation is illuminating, my point is that we're not going to be able to trade the #2 overall. At #2 there is realistically only a few prospects we'd pick up. One of them is Braylon Edwards. I was questioning this choice based on already having two arguably very fine receivers.

Back
Top Bottom