Why Edwards? We have Booker & Chambers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Edwards? We have Booker & Chambers

LostInPatsLand said:
Reply to perezferia,

While your analysis of the WR situation is illuminating, my point is that we're not going to be able to trade the #2 overall. At #2 there is realistically only a few prospects we'd pick up. One of them is Braylon Edwards. I was questioning this choice based on already having two arguably very fine receivers.

Replying to Lost:

Once again, look at the system. You say we have 2 very fine receivers. Ok... Now, who's our offensive coordinator? LINEHAN.

What makes HIS system work? SPEED.

Will our offense this year look AT ALL like last year's? NO!

These two possesion guys are NOT nearly enough. You're gonna have to spread the field SOMEHOW. Edwards, barring a trade, is your best choice.

Williams projects as a Michael Irvin type, a possesion reciever.

Clayton is a true slot reciever (at 5' 9" he's too small to line up wide) and my actual favorite choice at WR but if we can't trade down then forget the 2 mediocre QB's and pick the best athlete in the draft.

It's ok that we disagree, as long as you know that I'm right!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Just kidding, Dude! Go Phins!

Jimmy James said:
Let's look at 2001, shall we:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/tmstats2001.htm

Where do the teams of the NFC Central place in defense?

Chicago -- #1
Green Bay -- #5
Tampa Bay -- #8
Minnesota -- #26
Detroit Lions -- #30

Where do the teams of the AFC East place?

New England -- #6
Miami -- #11
New York -- #12
Buffalo -- #29
Indianapoolis -- #31

You want to talk about soft defenses again?

That year, the Bears passed for 3072 yards. Marty Booker was responsible for 1071. His QBs were those firebrands Shane Matthews and Jim Miller.

In 2001, the Dolphins passed for 3335 yards. Chris Chambers was responsible for 883. Except for a total of 3 attempts by Ray Lucas, the only QB for the Dolphins was Fiedler. Note that he overperformed the Chicago duo by around 10%.

You want to try again, or is that the best you can do?

Since Booker came from Chicago....take them off the board...now out of those defense ratings....which part is run defense and which part is pass defense...it does make a difference. A team can be the first in run defense but 25 in pass defense. Is there any doubt that the Dolphins and N.E. had better pass defense than any of the NFC teams? Any doubts? I also wonder what kind of schedule those teams had for the 2001 season...what was the strength....that makes a big difference also. The only issue that really matters is Booker hasn't done anything yet for the Dolphins...and it's time to get younger and faster.

Jimmy James said:
I don't care if Linehan loves 3 WR sets -- one or all of the WRs is going to be disappointed with his role if we draft Edwards or Williams. It is very likely to be in our best interest to move Booker along to a team like the Eagles for a 2nd if we can get that done even though that's as bad (or worse) than Pat for a 2nd in terms of realizing a player's true value.

why would we trade a pro bowler for a 2nd rounder???????????

You can NEVER have enough receivers. Just remember you're an injury away from Derrius Thompson back as the #2 receiver, would you really want that for an extended period of time?

afishfan said:
why would we trade a pro bowler for a 2nd rounder???????????

If you bring in a guy with an ego like Braylon has into a situation where you have a nicely compensated Chambers, a McMichael looking to get an extension, and a Booker who feels paranoid about his place on the team (for good reason given his contract and the way the Bears buried the knife in his back because he didn't come in with Lovie), you have a recipe for disaster. The most likely outcome there is that NOBODY gets what they're looking for and you're dealing with a WR in Booker who is a year older and disgruntled, a TE in McMichael ready to look elsewhere, a WR in Chambers who feels as though he's never truly going to break out, and a young WR in Edwards who feels his growth has been stunted to the tune of incentives that he isn't going to meet in his contract. Note that I haven't even mentioned guys like Thompson yet.

There is a reason why amazing WR trios rarely stay together for long.

Jimmy James said:
You know how many of those guys were top 5 picks? Fitzgerald. I think that kind of proves my point seeing as how he is the one who I believe most would say underperformed despite having a big opportunity due to injuries of his fellow WRs.

What round was Booker selected?

Who would you rather have...Fitzgerald or Booker?

Lee Evans or Booker?

M. CLayton or Booker?

Roy Williams or Booker?

Everything else just melts away....any of those receivers would be far better than Booker. At least they may scare a defense.

Jimmy James said:
If you bring in a guy with an ego like Braylon has into a situation where you have a nicely compensated Chambers, a McMichael looking to get an extension, and a Booker who feels paranoid about his place on the team (for good reason given his contract and the way the Bears buried the knife in his back because he didn't come in with Lovie), you have a recipe for disaster. The most likely outcome there is that NOBODY gets what they're looking for and you're dealing with a WR in Booker who is a year older and disgruntled, a TE in McMichael ready to look elsewhere, a WR in Chambers who feels as though he's never truly going to break out, and a young WR in Edwards who feels his growth has been stunted to the tune of incentives that he isn't going to meet in his contract. Note that I haven't even mentioned guys like Thompson yet.

There is a reason why amazing WR trios rarely stay together for long.

Yea..it's called money and ego....and I say not with Saban. If you don't like it...thats O.K. I'll trade you....believe me. You think the players got that message when Saban took over and cut the dead weight off the team...when players took pay cuts to stay here.

fishypete said:
The only issue that really matters is Booker hasn't done anything yet for the Dolphins...and it's time to get younger and faster.

It's nice to know that you didn't really mean any of that other garbage only after I replied to all of it. What has Chambers done for the Dolphins? What have ANY of the offensive players done? I don't see any titles, and I see 1 21st century playoff win. Whee. At least Booker has a track record elsewhere and was only a part of what came before now for a short period of time!

Jimmy James said:
It's nice to know that you didn't really mean any of that other garbage only after I replied to all of it. What has Chambers done for the Dolphins? What have ANY of the offensive players done? I don't see any titles, and I see 1 21st century playoff win. Whee. At least Booker has a track record elsewhere and was only a part of what came before now for a short period of time!

With Booker the best for him, is him playing the # 3 receiver...he can play against a safety or 3rd corner...but his best days are past him. Time for some youth and speed.

fishypete said:
What round was Booker selected?

Who would you rather have...Fitzgerald or Booker?

Lee Evans or Booker?

M. CLayton or Booker?

Roy Williams or Booker?

Everything else just melts away....any of those receivers would be far better than Booker. At least they may scare a defense.

Booker was the 78th pick (3rd round). You know who else was a third rounder? Owens.

I would rather have Booker, Booker, Clayton, and Williams if we're talking about short term production. If you're telling me I can lock one of them up for the rest of their career, I have to take all of the younger guys since I'm not spending a thing for them. Show me how we can get any of those guys for nothing or somebody like them, and I'm all over it.

I don't give a hot damn about scaring the defense. You say Booker doesn't do that? I say great! How many titles has Randy Moss won for his teams because he scares teams? How many scary receivers do the Patriots have? What you need is the sort of clutch guy who can disappear into the defense and come out like they forgot he was on the field to get you that key catch or that key TD. That's what Booker excels at.

fishypete said:
With Booker the best for him, is him playing the # 3 receiver...he can play against a safety or 3rd corner...but his best days are past him. Time for some youth and speed.

Speed is sorely overrated. Ask Jerry Rice. Hey, that actually goes for youth, too. If you don't believe Jerry about youth, ask Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Tim Brown...are you getting the message? The whole argument by many who want a WR in this draft is that they have nice long careers. It is precisely because Booker isn't a one note speed guy that he will be productive well into the future. He can close out the decade with the Dolphins, and I'm rooting for him to do it going out there and starting for us.

Im not understanding all this hate on Booker. One helluva football player. Who cares if he didnt have a good season last year ... name someone on our offense that did.

Booker came in late in a bad situation and although he didnt come in all happy about being here, cant blame him the way Chicago handled it. Now on top of that ... imagine being any wide reciever coming to Miami and the Wad ball philosophy ... I know I would be thinking ... great ... this is the end of my career.

Omaha_Dolfan said:
Im not understanding all this hate on Booker. One helluva football player. Who cares if he didnt have a good season last year ... name someone on our offense that did.

Booker came in late in a bad situation and although he didnt come in all happy about being here, cant blame him the way Chicago handled it. Now on top of that ... imagine being any wide reciever coming to Miami and the Wad ball philosophy ... I know I would be thinking ... great ... this is the end of my career.

:yeahthat:

It is clear that far too few Dolphins fans have any clue as to what Booker is capable of. It is sad, really.

Slappy8800 said:
im not a fan of booker...hasnt really shown me anything

Did you look before he became a Dolphin? If not, did ANYBODY on that offense show you anything last year? I'll bet they didn't. Why aren't you saying you're not a fan of the whole unit?

Back
Top Bottom