Why is everybody slobbering over Cromartie? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everybody slobbering over Cromartie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ufmike22 said:
He has one career start in college football. That means he's never been good enough to start at corner on his own team. So he hurts his knee and doesn't play at all this year and he somehow gets good enough to take in the first round of the draft to cover NFL wideouts?

How many of you guys have actually seen him play and be worthy of the "top 3 talent" label that Mel Kiper - I mean - Boomer has bestowed upon him? Is it his 5 career picks? Was it that lucky bounce he caught on that fumble return touchdown against Miami in 2004?

He only has buzz because he was a highly touted recruit, not because he actually made a worthy case of being one of the best players in college football.

You've got plenty of guys in this draft, way more than last year, that are physically impressive and produced in college. Wouldn't it make more sense to take one of those guys instead of gambling on a corner who hasn't played a whole lot of college football while coming off of a major knee injury?
People are high on him, because of his measureables...

He is 6'3 210, and supposedly runs a 4.3 40... those are some pretty impressive measureables...

I havent moved him above Jimmy Williams though like most have. However, Cromartie has ALOT of potential... and might have a higher ceiling than JW...

ya... and dont hate on Boomer... the guy puts alot of time into studying players... And, remember that they are just his opinions... feel free to disagree with him, but dont talk about the guy like he has no idea what he is talking about... :shakeno:

I agree, Boomer spend alot of time watching film, I sure wish I got paid to do the same

Well being a Huge Gator fan I have whatched him and I whatched 1 game that was FSU v.s. Miami and he was a FrEaK!

ok heres the thing.. my friend goes to FSU and his opinion is that cromatie is a freak...but he laughs at how high hes being regarded in the mock drafts because he says it doenst matter how good a player is. IF hes not on the field to play... cromartie is a gamble im willing to take on the 3rd round or later...

phinswin said:
ok heres the thing.. my friend goes to FSU and his opinion is that cromatie is a freak...but he laughs at how high hes being regarded in the mock drafts because he says it doenst matter how good a player is. IF hes not on the field to play... cromartie is a gamble im willing to take on the 3rd round or later...

Wow 3rd round or Later! :sidelol: :sidelol:

There is no way that he stays on the board that long. It will be mid 2nd at the latest. I mean will poole tore his ACL does that mean we cut him? Its alot harder for a RB to come back from that injury than a CB. He probably might lose some speed, But he is still gunna be good

ufmike22 said:
I'm not upset with Boomer, I just think he's a huge tool. As I stated above, I think him declaring Cromartie as top 3 talent is incredibly weak based on the limited showcase Cromartie has actually had to display. He didn't yet prove himself as an elite, reliable player in college and all of a sudden he's worht the gamble after a major knee injury at the next level? Boomer says he has the best hips he's seen this decade and people are eating it up. How does Boomer measure these hips? How does the 1997 class of CB stack up in terms of hips? 1998? 1999?

If he runs a 4.2 and has a 40 inch vertical and is a legit 6'3" on Tuesday, then I could understand saying he is a top talent. But basing it now on the 4 INTs he had in 2004 and his 5 star recruting ranking is about as lame as it gets.

Oh dear.

OK, Antonio Cromartie. What would you like to know? First off all you're incorrect with the comments about him not being good enough to start for FSU. That's utter nonsense. Bobby Bowden's starters, especially on defense are people that start the 1st play of the 1st series. Often they may only play 3 or 4 more plays the entire game. Bobby usually tends to let more senior players take the start.

I'm sure you knew that Cromartie was essentially was part of a 3 corner starting rotation for 2 years with Leroy Smith and Bryant McFadden.

Your general lack of knowledge on him is pretty funny. And all this stuff about 'best hips this decade'.....if you're going to quote me, then at least quote me correctly. I said 'best hips in a decade'. Of course you wouldn't know HOW to measure a cornerbacks hips. But you like to come on here and coat someone off who you know nothing about, about a player you know nothing about.

The fact that he tore his ACL certainly stopped him from grading out as a top 5 overall player, but that's where he would have been. But don't take my word for it, do some research, find out what people are saying. Athletically at 6-3, 210, with Olympic speed, this kid is a lock down corner, a planet theory type performer. I'm sure you know all about him as your remarkable rundown of his talents (using a 5 star recruiting grade.....FLMAO....) shows.

I'm sure then that I don't need to tell you that he's running consistent 4.35's at his training camp in Georgia including a 4.31. He ripped off 24 on the bench at 225 and has been running off 40 inch verticals like he was turning the TV on.

I'm sure that you knew that Nick Saban, Mel Phillips, Randy Mueller, etc. have had a long dinner recently with him and are, along with the Falcons, Giants and Chiefs the most interested in him.

I'm sure you know about his long arms and his ability to use his hands, how he can jam at the line knocking even the biggest and most physical WR off their routes, his back-pedal, how well and quickly he flips his hips and how he does so smoothly without losing speed, how he does a superb job of locating to the ball and breaking on it, using high quality instincts, how he has the skills to play man or zone and how he uses his body in run support, reacting instinctively and breaking off the route cover to attack the ball carrier. Whilst not a great tackler, he's certainly good enough.

I'm sure you're aware of just how much upside he possesses and how highly rated he is by NFL teams.

I'm sure your wide ranging knowledge, which you clearly displayed when referring to me as a 'huge tool' knows how to grade out corners. I'm certain that you know how to study hip turns, backpedal and acceleration, range, how a corner covers the ground, the awareness, the plant and drive for the ball, how they get to the ball, whether they evade the receiver to avoid the PI call, footwork going forward and backwards, how they read the QB from the pre-snap read to delivery of the ball, how they get through trash, get out across the field in run support, how they tackle, how they work off the field, etc etc etc.

I'm sure you know that it's interesting how teams have talked about moving the bigger corners - Huff, Williams, etc to safety - but not Cromartie. There's a reason for that.

To be honest, I'm bored of dealing with kids like you who know nothing about how to grade a prospect, have never sat up going through tape after tape after tape, play after play after play studying how kids play and project.

Come back when you have something worthwhile to say and that your argument isn't based on being a Gator fan who doesn't like the Noles and using a recruiting grade as the reason why most draft analysts see him as a top 15 pick even now and one who would have been a top 5 pick without the ACL or in 2007.

Pathetic.

phinswin said:

He'll have long landed in the new city that he'll make his home. There is NO WAY he goes in the 3rd round, unless he tries to do his 40 on a space hopper.

:sidelol: UFMike, You are now Owned! You should change your name to Boomer's Beeyotch!:boohoo:

FinNasty said:
He is 6'3 210, and supposedly runs a 4.3 40... those are some pretty impressive measureables...
In a recent interview he did, Cromartie said he ran a 4.39 40 a few week ago but hopes to run faster on the turf in Indy.

ufmike22 said:
I'm not upset with Boomer, I just think he's a huge tool. As I stated above, I think him declaring Cromartie as top 3 talent is incredibly weak based on the limited showcase Cromartie has actually had to display. He didn't yet prove himself as an elite, reliable player in college and all of a sudden he's worht the gamble after a major knee injury at the next level? Boomer says he has the best hips he's seen this decade and people are eating it up. How does Boomer measure these hips? How does the 1997 class of CB stack up in terms of hips? 1998? 1999?

If he runs a 4.2 and has a 40 inch vertical and is a legit 6'3" on Tuesday, then I could understand saying he is a top talent. But basing it now on the 4 INTs he had in 2004 and his 5 star recruting ranking is about as lame as it gets.
Once again, the waters in Gainsville are clouding the minds of it's youth. :wink:
Boomer said he was a top 3 talent, not that he would be a top 3 pick.

:cooldude: Still a Gators' fan despite the playa hayta n da house. :cooldude:

In my opinion Cromartie has amazing measurables, but I'm not a big fan of drafting players at any position in the first round coming off major knee injuries, or for using first round picks on players with chronic injury historys.

Yatil Green had great measurables too, but he also was injured a lot at UM, It was ignored by Jimmie and his injury problems continued in the NFL.

Using the 16th pick on a guy like Cromartie scares me when there will be other excellent prospects there that don't have bad injury historys.

Cromartie's ACL, Blue, as bad an injury as it is, is his only injury of note. Would we rule out Brod Bunkley as well because of his ACL injury, etc etc?

BlueFin said:
In my opinion Cromartie has amazing measurables, but I'm not a big fan of drafting players at any position in the first round coming off major knee injuries, or for using first round picks on players with chronic injury historys.

Yatil Green had great measurables too, but he also was injured a lot at UM, It was ignored by Jimmie and his injury problems continued in the NFL.

Using the 16th pick on a guy like Cromartie scares me when there will be other excellent prospects there that don't have bad injury historys.
i would've agreed with you a few years ago, but these ACL injuries seem to be pretty fixable these days. players come back fine from them all the time. and what other injuries has cromartie had?

[mod] Do not attack someone's country. [/mod]

Boomer said:
Cromartie's ACL, Blue, as bad an injury as it is, is his only injury of note. Would we rule out Brod Bunkley as well because of his ACL injury, etc etc?
Well actually you should do your homework Boomer. Cromartie tore his ACL, MCL and part of his hamstring in the same injury. And it just happened, less than a year ago.

http://www.draftstats.com/showthread.php?t=157109

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-combinenotes022606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

No worries I guess. Those things are not that important because he's 6'2!

And your rant was just a bunch of generic BS of you trying to sound as technical as possible. You could say that about any corner prospect, talking out hip rotation and back peddaling and suddenly all your minions will gobble it up and deamnd the Dolphins to trade up so they make sure they can get him.

As for accusing me of hating on him because he is a Nole, yea, I don't like the noles. But due to the brevity of Cromartie's stay at FSU, I had not much time to hate him. And if he actually did something to UF that got under my skin that would be one thing, but here's a look at his box scores from the two times he played against the Gators:

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/boxlist.php?boxfile=20031129153000#GAME.DEF

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/boxlist.php?boxfile=20041120194500#GAME.DEF

He tackled one Gator in 2 years. And he also looked great this year in the warm up suit on the sidelines for 34-7.

But he undoubtedly had success locking down the plethora of uber talented wide outs when he matched up weekly against Duke, UNC, Wake Forest. Those are the same guys he will be facing in the NFL so he should have no trouble at all.

And one more thing Boomer, judging by your avatar...perhaps you may have some bias as well...or maybe you are a Georgia fan or Tennessee fan located in the heart of college football aka London friggin England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom