Why is everybody slobbering over Cromartie? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everybody slobbering over Cromartie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and by all means I'm willing to acknowledge that if he puts up some great numbers at the combine tomorrow that he has great athletic ability, but he will still be inexperienced and that anyone who thinks he will be a top 10 or whatever pick is still crazy. This all started because so many posters seemed convinced that he is one of the best players in this draft. One guy had him ahead of Reggie Bush. Uhhhh ....OK.

What exactly are his numbers going to be?

I've seen 4.3 forty and 40 + inch vertical? Is that what I should expect?

ufmike22 said:
And your rant was just a bunch of generic BS of you trying to sound as technical as possible. You could say that about any corner prospect, talking out hip rotation and back peddaling and suddenly all your minions will gobble it up and deamnd the Dolphins to trade up so they make sure they can get him.

As for accusing me of hating on him because he is a Nole, yea, I don't like the noles. But due to the brevity of Cromartie's stay at FSU, I had not much time to hate him. And if he actually did something to UF that got under my skin that would be one thing, but here's a look at his box scores from the two times he played against the Gators:

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/boxlist.php?boxfile=20031129153000#GAME.DEF

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/boxlist.php?boxfile=20041120194500#GAME.DEF

He tackled one Gator in 2 years. And he also looked great this year in the warm up suit on the sidelines for 34-7.

But he undoubtedly had success locking down the plethora of uber talented wide outs when he matched up weekly against Duke, UNC, Wake Forest. Those are the same guys he will be facing in the NFL so he should have no trouble at all.

And one more thing Boomer, judging by your avatar...perhaps you may have some bias as well...or maybe you are a Georgia fan or Tennessee fan located in the heart of college football aka London friggin England.
so because it's too "technical" for you, you dismiss it? he's saying what any scout will tell you about cromartie. if you're going to give your own evaluative opinion on him, use something more than a box score.

you just don't like boomer, and nothing he says will change your mind.

ufmike22 said:
Well actually you should do your homework Boomer. Cromartie tore his ACL, MCL and part of his hamstring in the same injury. And it just happened, less than a year ago.

http://www.draftstats.com/showthread.php?t=157109

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-combinenotes022606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

No worries I guess. Those things are not that important because he's 6'2!

And your rant was just a bunch of generic BS of you trying to sound as technical as possible. You could say that about any corner prospect, talking out hip rotation and back peddaling and suddenly all your minions will gobble it up and deamnd the Dolphins to trade up so they make sure they can get him.

As for accusing me of hating on him because he is a Nole, yea, I don't like the noles. But due to the brevity of Cromartie's stay at FSU, I had not much time to hate him. And if he actually did something to UF that got under my skin that would be one thing, but here's a look at his box scores from the two times he played against the Gators:

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/boxlist.php?boxfile=20031129153000#GAME.DEF

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/boxlist.php?boxfile=20041120194500#GAME.DEF

He tackled one Gator in 2 years. And he also looked great this year in the warm up suit on the sidelines for 34-7.

But he undoubtedly had success locking down the plethora of uber talented wide outs when he matched up weekly against Duke, UNC, Wake Forest. Those are the same guys he will be facing in the NFL so he should have no trouble at all.

And one more thing Boomer, judging by your avatar...perhaps you may have some bias as well...or maybe you are a Georgia fan or Tennessee fan located in the heart of college football aka London friggin England.

Like I said, come back to me when you have something to say. The above doesn't qualify, other than to further announce your stupidity.

Don't you feel embarrassed that a 'huge tool' from London friggin England schools you on your own sport? Man I'd be embarrassed at that.

The fact that you know nothing about how to grade out a CB should be a problem for you, not me, sunshine. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

Run away and play with your toys and let the big boys talk football.

are you english boomer or simply relocated over there? if the former, what got you so interested in football (REAL football that is ;) )?

Boomer said:
Like I said, come back to me when you have something to say. The above doesn't qualify, other than to further announce your stupidity.

Don't you feel embarrassed that a 'huge tool' from London friggin England schools you on your own sport? Man I'd be embarrassed at that.

The fact that you know nothing about to grade out a CB should be a problem for you, not me, sunshine. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

:0wned: Ouch...

Boomer said:

The fact that you know nothing about to grade out a CB should be a problem for you, not me, sunshine. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

Check Please!!!

Boomer said:
Oh dear.

OK, Antonio Cromartie. What would you like to know? First off all you're incorrect with the comments about him not being good enough to start for FSU. That's utter nonsense. Bobby Bowden's starters, especially on defense are people that start the 1st play of the 1st series. Often they may only play 3 or 4 more plays the entire game. Bobby usually tends to let more senior players take the start.

I'm sure you knew that Cromartie was essentially was part of a 3 corner starting rotation for 2 years with Leroy Smith and Bryant McFadden.

Your general lack of knowledge on him is pretty funny. And all this stuff about 'best hips this decade'.....if you're going to quote me, then at least quote me correctly. I said 'best hips in a decade'. Of course you wouldn't know HOW to measure a cornerbacks hips. But you like to come on here and coat someone off who you know nothing about, about a player you know nothing about.

The fact that he tore his ACL certainly stopped him from grading out as a top 5 overall player, but that's where he would have been. But don't take my word for it, do some research, find out what people are saying. Athletically at 6-3, 210, with Olympic speed, this kid is a lock down corner, a planet theory type performer. I'm sure you know all about him as your remarkable rundown of his talents (using a 5 star recruiting grade.....FLMAO....) shows.

I'm sure then that I don't need to tell you that he's running consistent 4.35's at his training camp in Georgia including a 4.31. He ripped off 24 on the bench at 225 and has been running off 40 inch verticals like he was turning the TV on.

I'm sure that you knew that Nick Saban, Mel Phillips, Randy Mueller, etc. have had a long dinner recently with him and are, along with the Falcons, Giants and Chiefs the most interested in him.

I'm sure you know about his long arms and his ability to use his hands, how he can jam at the line knocking even the biggest and most physical WR off their routes, his back-pedal, how well and quickly he flips his hips and how he does so smoothly without losing speed, how he does a superb job of locating to the ball and breaking on it, using high quality instincts, how he has the skills to play man or zone and how he uses his body in run support, reacting instinctively and breaking off the route cover to attack the ball carrier. Whilst not a great tackler, he's certainly good enough.

I'm sure you're aware of just how much upside he possesses and how highly rated he is by NFL teams.

I'm sure your wide ranging knowledge, which you clearly displayed when referring to me as a 'huge tool' knows how to grade out corners. I'm certain that you know how to study hip turns, backpedal and acceleration, range, how a corner covers the ground, the awareness, the plant and drive for the ball, how they get to the ball, whether they evade the receiver to avoid the PI call, footwork going forward and backwards, how they read the QB from the pre-snap read to delivery of the ball, how they get through trash, get out across the field in run support, how they tackle, how they work off the field, etc etc etc.

I'm sure you know that it's interesting how teams have talked about moving the bigger corners - Huff, Williams, etc to safety - but not Cromartie. There's a reason for that.

To be honest, I'm bored of dealing with kids like you who know nothing about how to grade a prospect, have never sat up going through tape after tape after tape, play after play after play studying how kids play and project.

Come back when you have something worthwhile to say and that your argument isn't based on being a Gator fan who doesn't like the Noles and using a recruiting grade as the reason why most draft analysts see him as a top 15 pick even now and one who would have been a top 5 pick without the ACL or in 2007.

Pathetic.

Sure, the guy will be a freak at the combine. I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a possibility for the Phins at 16. Plenty of combine freaks have been disappointments, especially at the cornerback position (see: De'angelo Hall, Fabian Washington, Pac-Man Jones in the last 3 years; not all busts, but certainly drafted too high). Cornerback seems to me to be one of the hardest positions for players to make the transition to in the NFL. An injury is one thing (i.e. I would love to see the Phins take Winston). But this kid's limited experience coupled with his serious injury would make me shudder if the Phins selected him. I don't care if he benches 225 30 times or reaches the top of the RCA dome on his vertical leap.

And also about projecting other D-backs as safeties in the NFL...Huff has been a starting strong safety for 2 years now who sometimes covers WR if needed (he covered Ginn Jr. in the Ohio St. game) and I would imagine that is the reason why he projects as a safety. That certainly doesn't imply that he is not as strong of a prospect as Cromartie. I would take Huff and his Thorpe Award way before I would take a question mark like Cromartie.

ufmike22 said:

So he didn't play Miami 3 times and cover Roscoe Parrish or Lance Leggett or Ryan Moore or Sinorice Moss, Georgia Tech with Calvin Johnson, Florida with Chad Jackson or Andre Caldwell, he didn't cover top 10 pick Vernon Davis at Maryland, or Jeremy Bloom at Colorado or Derrelle Mitchell at NC or Wake's Jason Anderson (way to go with your knowledge again scoop), or Airese Curry at Clemson or Jeff Samardzija or Maurice Stovall at Notre Dame or Rasheed Marshall or Chris Henry at West Virginia.

But you knew all that didn't you scoop.

Boomer said:
So he didn't play Miami 3 times and cover Roscoe Parrish or Lance Leggett or Ryan Moore or Sinorice Moss, Georgia Tech with Calvin Johnson, Florida with Chad Jackson or Andre Caldwell, he didn't cover top 10 pick Vernon Davis at Maryland, or Jeremy Bloom at Colorado or Derrelle Mitchell at NC or Wake's Jason Anderson (way to go with your knowledge again scoop), or Airese Curry at Clemson or Jeff Samardzija or Maurice Stovall at Notre Dame or Rasheed Marshall or Chris Henry at West Virginia.

But you knew all that didn't you scoop.

where is the waitor with that check

Juan Cribbs said:
are you english boomer or simply relocated over there? if the former, what got you so interested in football (REAL football that is ;) )?

Pure English Juan. Born and bred here my friend. Got into AMERICAN Football :wink: in the early 1980's after seeing Miami play during Marino's rookie year and have been hooked ever since. The draft is like nothing else and have done a bunch of work for magazines over here as well as GBN, etc.

CrowderIsABeast said:
Sure, the guy will be a freak at the combine. I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a possibility for the Phins at 16. Plenty of combine freaks have been disappointments, especially at the cornerback position (see: De'angelo Hall, Fabian Washington, Pac-Man Jones in the last 3 years; not all busts, but certainly drafted too high). Cornerback seems to me to be one of the hardest positions for players to make the transition to in the NFL. An injury is one thing (i.e. I would love to see the Phins take Winston). But this kid's limited experience coupled with his serious injury would make me shudder if the Phins selected him. I don't care if he benches 225 30 times or reaches the top of the RCA dome on his vertical leap.

And also about projecting other D-backs as safeties in the NFL...Huff has been a starting strong safety for 2 years now who sometimes covers WR if needed (he covered Ginn Jr. in the Ohio St. game) and I would imagine that is the reason why he projects as a safety. That certainly doesn't imply that he is not as strong of a prospect as Cromartie. I would take Huff and his Thorpe Award way before I would take a question mark like Cromartie.

DeAngelo Hall? The Pro Bowl DeAngelo Hall? One of the best corners in the NFL DeAngelo Hall? Not sure I'd register him as anything close to a bust. Bit early to make statements about Adam Jones and Fabian Washington.

Essentially Cromartie's draft status has nothing to do with what he does or doesn't do at the Combine, other than to show he is back to full fitness. Watch all of his games at FSU as I have done and break down every defensive snap he's ever taken and then go from there. You'll see a freak, a human freak, who will become a lock down NFL corner. You only have to listen to Mickey Andrews, who draws comparisons with Deion Sanders.

Winston isn't an NFL LT. His arms for one are too short and he isn't the same player he was. Reality is, he should probably have stayed at TE.

I too would take Huff over Cromartie, but the reality is, Huff ain't going to be there. Plus, he's mixed back and forth between S and CB.

Boomer said:

How do you school me at my own sport? Just because you emerse studying the hip movement of college male athletes doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. How many times has a guy graded out really high and been an absolute work out warrior and not done squat in the NFL? You can over analyze a guy to death and suddenly you are seeing the next Dan Marino or Jerry RIce. Do I really have to even list these:

Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf, Peter Warrick, Trev Alberts, Kijana Carter. They were all top picks...but they stunk... but they could run and jump and lift heavy things really well.

The basis of my post is how can you be so certain that Cromartie is a top three talent when hasn't been on the field in over a year or played much elite level football to begin with? And your answer: He's 6'2, weighs 200 pounds (WOOOOOOW!!!!!!!) and has the most prototypical and perfect form a corner can possibly have (according to Boomer, a Seminoles fan)

Juan Cribbs said:
so because it's too "technical" for you, you dismiss it? he's saying what any scout will tell you about cromartie. if you're going to give your own evaluative opinion on him, use something more than a box score.

you just don't like boomer, and nothing he says will change your mind.

A box score? You mean the place where they put the statistics that describe how well a player did in a game?

ufmike22 said:
How do you school me at my own sport? Just because you emerse studying the hip movement of college male athletes doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. How many times has a guy graded out really high and been an absolute work out warrior and not done squat in the NFL? You can over analyze a guy to death and suddenly you are seeing the next Dan Marino or Jerry RIce. Do I really have to even list these:

Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf, Peter Warrick, Trev Alberts, Kijana Carter. They were all top picks...but they stunk... but they could run and jump and lift heavy things really well.

The basis of my post is how can you be so certain that Cromartie is a top three talent when hasn't been on the field in over a year or played much elite level football to begin with? And your answer: He's 6'2, weighs 200 pounds (WOOOOOOW!!!!!!!) and has the most prototypical and perfect form a corner can possibly have (according to Boomer, a Seminoles fan)
Just because he studies football doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about? :shakeno: For every bust you list there are at least 3 players who have done well. Look at previous drafts: Cadillac Williams, Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Larry Fitzgerald, Jonathan Vilma, Ronnie Brown...and those are from the last 2 drafts alone! Quit while your behind, dude. You can't argue your way out of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom