Why is everyone hopping on the Ricky Williams bandwagon? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone hopping on the Ricky Williams bandwagon?

Raekwon The Che said:
This is getting disgusting. The man hasn't played a game of a football in a year and is still 20 pounds from his old playing weight and somehow we are going to have the most dominent backfield in history :confused: AND we still have an unproven rookie :confused:

My complaint with Ricky stems from the way he quit on the team and his timing in doing so. Deep down I don't want him back but I also understand this is a business. Saban wants the Dolphins two 1st rd pick investment to pay off. As far as the most dominating backfield in history, I couldn't disagree more. I do however see the potential to have one of the top rushing teams in 05'. Brown is the #2 overall pick and should be a franchise rb. Add in another powerful franchise back and we have the potential to be very good.

I say no to Ricky, give Gordon, Kay-Jay, and Morris a shot. I rather have players on this team that truly want to be here, and will do what ever it takes to make the team, rather then a quiter coming back, saying he wants to play football again I guess.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I would just hate to lose out on a young up and comer like Kay-Jay just to have a spot on the roster for Ricky, and then he doesn't make it through the season.
That's probably the biggest downside of this situation; he will take a roster spot, one that most likely would otherwise have been used on a young player that could develop into something.

Dolfan4life! said:
That's probably the biggest downside of this situation; he will take a roster spot, one that most likely would otherwise have been used on a young player that could develop into something.
Totally agree!:beerbang: I hate the idea that this clown is going to get the ball in the backfield ahead of Gordon, and Morris who tried to work through the mess last year, and especially Morris who stuck with this team after he took some beatings.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I would just hate to lose out on a young up and comer like Kay-Jay just to have a spot on the roster for Ricky, and then he doesn't make it through the season.

Kay-Jay likely wouldn't get too much playing time anyway. The choice between a former pro-bowl, league leading rusher and an undrafted rookie isn't much of a choice. Even if Kay-Jay plays to his full potential, I don't think he's anywhere near the player RW is/was.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
I say no to Ricky, give Gordon, Kay-Jay, and Morris a shot. I rather have players on this team that truly want to be here, and will do what ever it takes to make the team, rather then a quiter coming back, saying he wants to play football again I guess.

I don't understand why a player's motives for playing should matter. The NFL (or any pro sport for that metter) is not a game. It's a business first and foremost. There's way too much money involved to turn your back on that kind of talent based on poor past decisions. If RW is used correctly (as a backup) there's really no risk in bringing him back. If he flakes out or no longer plays well Saban can just get rid of him. As long as the entire offence isn't based on him, he becomes expendable.

Raekwon The Che said:
This is getting disgusting. The man hasn't played a game of a football in a year and is still 20 pounds from his old playing weight and somehow we are going to have the most dominent backfield in history :confused: AND we still have an unproven rookie :confused:

I am going to cheer the guy because he'scoming back. He doesn't get a second chance while murderes like Ray Lewis are being put on covers of video game boxes? Give me a break dude and get off your soap box. This will be a heck of a backfield. No doubt.

Fin Fan in Cali said:

I really can't believe you can call Kay-Jay an "up and comer" when the guy didn't even get drafted and his most likely goal will be to land on the practice squad.

How you can state you would rather have him than a proven dominant back like RW is beyond incredulous.

Bill C said:
I really can't believe you can call Kay-Jay an "up and comer" when the guy didn't even get drafted and his most likely goal will be to land on the practice squad.

How you can state you would rather have him than a proven dominant back like RW is beyond incredulous.
What i was saying is that I would rather have a player that wants to sincerely play for us, and has his heart into rather then someone who could turn around and quit on us. My question to you, who made you evaluater of personnel that Kay-Jay won't turn into gem that went undrafted?

Bill C said:

I don't like what the individual did to the team, he quit on them, and all he cared about was himself.

Make no mistake guys, Ricky's decision has to be financial. His heart is not in the game, that is why he retired. It is nearly impossible to perform at an NFL-level when your heart is not in the game. That is why Ricky stepped aside. He needed to find himself, period. So Ricky goes and finds himself, finds his calling in life and.. BAM!!! 8.6 million to be repaid to the phins...

I believe Ricky doesn't want to be playing football, but irregardless he will get back into football shape and play. You can't compete at such a high level as Williams has without having some sort of innate desire. So Williams will come back and he will play hard. Will he be as effective as 2002... I doubt it. But is using a roster spot to give Ricky 5-10 carries a game (more if RB gets hurt) and let him teach young Ronnie the ropes a mistake? I see only good possible outcomes.

That said, I am a complete Ricky homer. He's a little screwy, but he still is my favorite player... eh, person to play football... ever. I understand why so many people hate him and why so many people see him as the phins savior, but in reality he is just a man, a tragically flawed hero who will never live up to his NFL potential due to his flaw. Still, I'm glad to see what he can/will do next year.

Go Phins!!

Fin Fan in Cali said:
What i was saying is that I would rather have a player that wants to sincerely play for us, and has his heart into rather then someone who could turn around and quit on us. My question to you, who made you evaluater of personnel that Kay-Jay won't turn into gem that went undrafted?

My position is validated by the 32 NFL personnel executives and 32 NFL head coaches that passed on him 7 times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he doesn't have talent or potential. What I am saying is, he is what he is - an undrafted rookie free agent. Ricky is a dominant running back one year removed from the game who is still in his prime and is injury free. I live 20 minutes from where Ricky was and saw him one day (didn't talk to him, just let him be). I can tell you this, RW at 195 is bigger than most other backs at 220. He will round back into shape just fine. Physically. Mentally, we still need to see.

My question back to you is, have you ever left a job where your boss was a complete moron and didn't care that he was taking years off of your career?

If you remember correctly, when we got Ricky from the Saints, he was suddenly doing much better becasue his symptoms were diagnosed and he was put in a position of being a PART OF a talented team - not the identified saviour of it. Wanny changed all that and heaped the pressure right back on him.

No excuses, but I am willing to give the man a chance because unlike others on our current roster, he didn't go out raping or smacking his gf/wife around.

CALIFORNIA SAY's BYE BYE RICKY!!!!!!!
He'll be playin' 4 the raiders soon a backstabbin coward on a team of other backstabbin cowards and owned by the biggest backstabbin' coward.

You need two workhorse backs to get through the rigors of a 16 game season and playoffs should we be so fortunate to get there.

I see Brown being an extremely versatile player for us and towards the end of the year when we need tough yards on the road, we can go to Williams for a spell. Ricky coming back gives Saban a tremendous luxury late in the year when Miami traditionally needs it.

I only see this as a positive and Nick Saban obviously agrees.

Back
Top Bottom