Why is everyone hopping on the Ricky Williams bandwagon? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone hopping on the Ricky Williams bandwagon?

Maybe Memories said:
this is a diff situation... dude has problems.... how da f*uck u gonna compare someone being late to a meeting, to this... two way diff things... this is something that dont happen everyday....
The bootom line is how do you hand out disciplary action to other players if Ricky can get away with what he did, and come back to the team after a four game suspension, and be the number 1 or 2 back?

Fin Fan in Cali said:
The bootom line is how do you hand out disciplary action to other players if Ricky can get away with what he did, and come back to the team after a four game suspension, and be the number 1 or 2 back?

RW retired, which he had a right to do. How do you discipline him for that? Of course I hate what he did, and I think the timing was terrible. But I don't see how he got away with anything. He left, and decided he wants to come back. We don't know if it was because he wants to play or because he has to pay. Talent is the bottom line here. He has the talent and proven ability to be the #1 or #2 back on this team.

As far as disciplne goes, a 4 game suspension is no small slap on the wrist. It's 1/4 of a season or the equivelant of a 40 game suspension in baseball, or 20 games in the NBA. The rule he broke is the one for which he will be punished - the same standard I expect for all players.

Cause hes a top 5 Rb and its easy to add weight and muscle. hes been playin ball for 20 years or something and 1 year off and all of a suddden hes gonna go to sh1t? Please. Hes got 4 months before hes due to play his 1st game back and hes got the conditioning program so he knows what hes supposed to be doing. I have faith in him; hes proven as a back. No he'll have to reprove himself and i believe he will.

miamirw said:
You need to qualify that question. Ricky, when at his best, provides a desperately NEEDED service. It's not like a guy who has a normal job that can be cut without ramifications to the business. Ricky makes our team significantly better if in depth alone (if not in pure yards gained).

An employer who is trying to be successful (and win) would be stupid to prevent a star player from rejoining the organization. Business is business. Sorry. that's just the way it is. if Ricky couldn't tote the rock like he can, i wouldn't take him back. But dammit, i want Miami to have every advantage possible. And short of sabotaging team chemistry (something that Randy Moss is more likely to do), Ricky is allowed back on the team with a short leash.

In that business example, if the employee is talented and an asset, but he sabotages the organization (let's say he embezzled money), THEN I would not hire the employee back. Saban's not going to let Ricky bring the team down.

He'll be a nice injection when Brown runs low on energy in his first season.

First, I'll assume my rebuttal on the Kay-Jay assessment is agreed upon since that was the question you asked for an answer on and then didn't include any rebuttal to mine.

Second, as far as business goes. Your example is invalid since you site embezzlement, which is felonious behavior. Ricky had previously been diagnosed as having Social Anxiety Disorder and was under treatment and medication for it. This condition forced Ricky into "hiding" for lack of a better term whenever he felt too much pressure. As DW's coaching and personnel incompetencies continued to mount, the logical result was more and more pressure on the best player - Ricky. The one basket whom everyone in the organization should have been cautious of putting all of their eggs in.

Again, do not get me wrong, I do not condone what Ricky did or how he did it. But using your "business" example: Ricky is instantly the best running back on the roster until Ronnie Brown proves otherwise. From camp reports, (granted it is only mini-camp) Brown has stiff competition from Gordon.

And in business, he who has the most talent, unless he is a criminal (and then maybe), will always find employment because THAT'S how businesses win.

From your wording - it almost sounds as though we are arguing the same point, with the exception of the Kay-Jay bit.

Ross said:
The rule he broke is he quit on 52 players. That's why you can't make him a #1 back.

--Ross

Since when is retiring or quitting or whatever you want to call it against the rules? You may not like it, but he didn't break a rule by leaving. The rule he did break had to do with the NFL's substance abuse policy. That's why he'll be punished.

Also, I said he should be the backup, not the main guy. He definitely has the talent to be #1 but I don't think the team can afford to depend on him as they once did. If used properly, bringing RW back is a very low risk high reward situation.

Back
Top Bottom