Why Miami Dolphins players love Ryan Fitzpatrick: 'He's the man' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Miami Dolphins players love Ryan Fitzpatrick: 'He's the man'

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

"I've been called every name in the book," Fitzpatrick, 37, said. "People hate me, people love me depending on the week, but again just trying to stay steady and knowing that all that outside noise isn't the thing that's important."

Fitzpatrick's response to the outside noise was turning in a 99.1 QBR rating -- the best total QBR of any quarterback all season and tied for 18th best since at least 2006 -- in a dominant 43-17 win against the San Francisco 49ers. It was the exclamation point on what has been a solid season so far for Fitzpatrick, who ranks fifth in total QBR through five weeks.

"I've been called every name in the book," Fitzpatrick, 37, said. "People hate me, people love me depending on the week, but again just trying to stay steady and knowing that all that outside noise isn't the thing that's important."

Fitzpatrick's response to the outside noise was turning in a 99.1 QBR rating -- the best total QBR of any quarterback all season and tied for 18th best since at least 2006 -- in a dominant 43-17 win against the San Francisco 49ers. It was the exclamation point on what has been a solid season so far for Fitzpatrick, who ranks fifth in total QBR through five weeks.

Too many overlook the importance of leadership and teammates having confidence if the QB. RF will start until that changes.

Too many overlook the importance of leadership and teammates having confidence if the QB. RF will start until that changes.
That's why it might be best if Fitzpatrick isn't back next year when they are making the move to Tua. It might make for a divided locker room because players still thinking Fitz should be the starter. It will be easier to transition to Tua if Fitz isn't around.

That's why it might be best if Fitzpatrick isn't back next year when they are making the move to Tua. It might make for a divided locker room because players still thinking Fitz should be the starter. It will be easier to transition to Tua if Fitz isn't around.
Fitz is not that type of player and would not let that happen. I also believe for once we don't have that type of locker room.

Fitz is not that type of player and would not let that happen. I also believe for once we don't have that type of locker room.
I'm not saying Fitz is that type of player. I'm just saying it might be easier to transition to Tua without Fitz on the team. Plus I think Fitz would rather retire than be a backup QB at his age

You may be right, but I sense that Fitz is such a decent, "team first" guy that he would genuinely assist Tua in any way to succeed as the backup QB. If they are breaking down opponents defense, Fitz is smart as hell in analysis and will share his knowledge in what he sees and how to address it with Tua. Remember, Fitz has had probably more experience than anyone as a backup QB. He's done it on many teams. I wouldn't worry about about the transition. I'm of the belief that Tua and Fitz both have the natural skills to comfortably handle it.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Fitz is that type of player. I'm just saying it might be easier to transition to Tua without Fitz on the team. Plus I think Fitz would rather retire than be a backup QB at his age
You could certainly be right about that but I'd love to have him around a few more years after we go to Tua. If he wanted to stay I think that's a great situation for a young guy to have.

Do people want good QB play or do they only care about which QB gives it to them?

He's 5th in QBR. He's been streaky in his career, but if he continues this he should absolutely be starting 2021 as well and that's coming from someone who championed taking Tua ALL last season.

hopefully when we move to Tua he’s better than Fitz and everybody knows it. I’d be dissapointed if so many players thought Fitz was better it divided the locker room. I think we all would be. Tua was a 5th overall pick, Fitz is a 7th round journeyman, at some point the talent should win out.

Do people want good QB play or do they only care about which QB gives it to them?

He's 5th in QBR. He's been streaky in his career, but if he continues this he should absolutely be starting 2021 as well and that's coming from someone who championed taking Tua ALL last season.
Tua needs to be the starter in 2021 no matter how Fitz plays the rest of this season. What was Alex Smith's QBR his last year as a starter with the Chiefs? I know it had to be pretty high because he got them to the playoffs and he was still replaced by Mahomes the next season. Same thing needs to happen here.

I was indifferent when Miami signed Fitz, but his play has won me over. His consistent, solid play has been beyond my expectations and directly goes against the stigma placed on him that he can't put more than a couple of good games together before the wheels fall off. And it was supposedly impossible for him to play well two years in a row. :lol:

I am still a huge Tua fan and believer, but don't find it necessary to hate Fitz because I like Tua.

I just read an article in which they ranked the best scrambling QBs and Fitz was ranked 7th. He leads QBs since the start of last year in rushing TDs and 45% of his scrambles result in TDs or 1st downs. It just goes to show Fitz's intelligence that he knows when to scramble and has the toughness to do it even at his age.

Tua needs to be the starter in 2021 no matter how Fitz plays the rest of this season. What was Alex Smith's QBR his last year as a starter with the Chiefs? I know it had to be pretty high because he got them to the playoffs and he was still replaced by Mahomes the next season. Same thing needs to happen here.
Is Tua going to have a top 5 QBR next year? If not, what are you proposing other than making the team worse?

PS: Alex Smith was 8th.

Is Tua going to have a top 5 QBR next year? If not, what are you proposing other than making the team worse?

PS: Alex Smith was 8th.
We have no idea what QBR Tua will have until he actually plays. But will Fitz finish this season as a top 5 QBR? I doubt it. All I know is Tua is the future of this franchise and the future needs to be starting by the 2021 season at the latest.

We have no idea what QBR Tua will have until he actually plays. But will Fitz finish this season as a top 5 QBR? I doubt it. All I know is Tua is the future of this franchise and the future needs to start by the 2021 season at the latest.
I don't pretend to know where Fitz will end up (he was top 10 last year), but my question is that hypothetically speaking if he finishes the season still in the top 5, what would you get for replacing him with Tua next season?

I don't pretend to know where Fitz will end up (he was top 10 last year), but my question is that hypothetically speaking if he finishes the season still in the top 5, what would you get for replacing him with Tua next season?
You would get your 5th overall pick from this past draft finally starting. Fitz ain't the long term answer here and as soon as people like you realize that the better off you will be.

Back
Top Bottom