Why The Dolphins Drafted A Kicker Who Missed 10 Of 35 College Kicks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, May 15, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

[​IMG]
    Miami Dolphins kicker Jason Sanders at rookie mini-camp. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

Everyone knows Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi hand-selected kicker Jason Sanders in the seventh round.

So Rizzi came to a recent news conference prepared to explain why a player who missed 29 percent of his college chances could be worthy of being one of only two kickers drafted in April.

“The first thing is when I go in and evaluate, when we look at the kicker position, the number one thing you’re looking at is the kicker, the talent, the ability,” Rizzi said. “A lot of people don’t want to hear this but really, when you look at a college placekicker, one of the last things I look at is field goal percentage; and there’s a reason for that.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.mypalmbeac...d-a-kicker-who-missed-10-of-35-college-kicks/

2. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I never really thought about the consistency issues with your long snapper and holder as being an issue. makes sense. I just know they have weird friggin angles on some kicks. that's why I said id trust whatever rizzi thinks

3. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

It doesn't matter. We change our kicker every year anyway.

4. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

“I’m not going to say it’s number one; but obviously you want a guy who … I call it an NFL leg.”

It's a fact that FG% is very inconsistent from year to year. What is very consistent, on the other hand, are kickoffs. Rizzi just impressed me right there.

5. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

I like it. Smart strategy having kicker with accuracy issues force Tanny to be more aggressive in red zone and not settle for fgs

Pandarilla and Fins1971 like this.
  6. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Good for Parkey getting the Chicago deal. Yet another fledgling player who got his On job training credibility through a Fins opportunity and then leveraged it nicely.

However, consider that Parkey was an unproven entity with plenty of question marks after being cut by the worst team in the league. He was also a local boy who grew up a fan, just like Mare. My point is that by the 4th or 5th game, the front office should have known what we had in Parkey. At that point while he was still not dealing from a position of strength, they should have tied him up with an extension that was sufficiently generous to reflect their optimism and confidence in him vs allowing him to enter free agency. If the FO was doing its job, IMO, we wouldn't be reading articles about how an inconsistent college kicker for whom we spent an actual draft pick might or might not make it in the NFL

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

If any coach on this staff has earned my trust its Rizzi, now coach him up. Also, I better not see another kick off return against us.

8. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

.....this is the most backwards thing I've ever read

9. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Absolutely agree. Idk how much you can teach a kicker to be accurate if hes not already. As it stands, expect this guy to miss 1 out of every 3 or 4 kicks. Pineiro would've been a great pick however, big leg and accurate

Vaark likes this.
  10. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

I likednParkey and was sad to see him go. But what the Dolphins hsve been doing works.

Rizzi has proven that he can rebuild thebpunt/kick units on the fly every year at low salary cap costs and still get good results. So, while it is slightly disappointing as a fan to see the constant churn, I cannot fault Rizzi or his method. At the end of the day good special teams with more salary cap to spend on offense and defense is the very definition of doing it right.

Good on ya Rizzi. Now we will have to get used to rooting for Sanders ... for a few years.

11. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Whatever Rizzi wants he gets....no argument from me.

Greer17 likes this.
  12. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I might be in the minority but I don’t think that Rizzi is a good special teams coach. All the kickers we had while he was here regressed under him. Parkey left before it could happen to him. Just saying I’m not sold on Rizzi.

Pandarilla likes this.
  13. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

Lets see how well this article ages in November/December.

14. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

a kicker's regression is indicative of whether or not somebody is a good special teams coach?

Greer17 likes this.
  15. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Can’t help that Chicago gave Parkey a ton of money. I wanted him back but not at that cost.

sunworshipper likes this.
  16. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

Hahaha cant believe I just read a post (in this thread) ****ting on our FO for not having the foresight to extend Parkey by the 4th or 5th game - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This is worst revisionist history/talking out of your *** than the people who argue we should have resigned Vernon for his ask of $11mil/year coming off a 6 sack season. Give me a freaking break, Tannebaum is a moron but you look even more stupid when you want to **** on him for not getting Parkey as if he should have Nostradamus abilities.

17. Coolguy3

Coolguy3 Starter Finheaven VIP

People **** on the FO when they tried to do that and gave an extension to McDonald. Damned if you, damned if you don’t.

Greer17 likes this.
  18. Atila

No doubt! But when we're getting **** about the kicker - or when they take a conditional 7th round flyer on a proven DT - this is just stupid. People looking more stupid by the day. SOCIETY!

19. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

If we lose a game because of this kicker we're going to be pissed beyond belief.

20. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Since I'm the one who expressed that sentiment with conviction, I'll just say that you are certainly as entitled to your opinion as I am to think it's short-sighted bordering on moronic!

21. Atila

lol k

22. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator

no idea why we didn't sign Michael Badgley UFA ... hometown kid with good leg & clutch ability... hope he succeeds, but if the Colts let him go, have him come home...

23. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

They could have even earmarked him toward the end of the year as a must sign. Start negotiations early and he never hits free agency. Given our salary dump though, I think a cheap kicker may have been in the cards all along. Rizzi is one of our few pimp coaches so I have faith in the kid if he does.

Vaark likes this.
  24. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Certainly is a "minus" in the FO column seeing Parkey go, but it's a very, very small "minus" assuming we can achieve decent kicker production this year.

25. Coolguy3

Coolguy3 Starter Finheaven VIP

Did Rizzi have input on Caleb Sturgis? Not sure I'm sold on Rizzi. What makes him such a good kicking coach?

26. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If he misses one out of every four kicks he might not last long. If he's missing one out of every three kicks he won't make it past week eight.

27. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Yeah, let Chicago blow too much money on a kicker, not us. They must have salary cap money to burn, seeing as they're still overpaying for Dion Sims whom they're basically using only as a blocker.

28. iwastherein1972

iwastherein1972 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling there was an unspoken reticence toward "hometown kid" signings. It could be this was an issue with other players and they did not want to look like there was bias.

I thought Eddy was a slam-dunk but I was shown wrong.

It creates issues. This could explain the Parkey and Pineiro decisions.

29. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I will admit I was nervous just about every time Parkey came out to kick for us. he was the soul reason why we beat the Browns the previous year.

30. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

But, he only missed like two kicks the other fifteen games. He didn't make me nervous at all, and I think we're going to regret not resigning him.

royalshank likes this.
  31. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

That's assuming they didn't try to do that. Teams can't make a player sign an extension. If he and his agent preferred to wait it out in hopes of more money in the future, the Dolphins couldn't have done anything about it.

32. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

There are some sentiments I agree with...pure raw power, watching that ball explode off his foot is rarer than being a technically sound player. I watched many kicks by Aguayo and while that dude was a dead center kicker accurate as any to come out, he has struggled in the NFL...mainly because there was almost no pop to his kicks. Oh, they were beautiful, but they locked that power you want. Sanders has that pop...the rest can be coached.

33. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Parley also went to the Pro Bowl w the Eagles didn’t he? Then he got hurt and lost his job to Sturgis I believe. He was money for Cleveland minus the game against us and then money last year. Point is, he’s been playing at a high level for some time and earned his pay day.

34. finfan41

finfan41 Rookie Finheaven VIP

Even the best kickers miss game winning fg, there not automatic, they are human, it happens to all, it’s how they respond to it the following week