Why The Dolphins Drafted A Kicker Who Missed 10 Of 35 College Kicks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why The Dolphins Drafted A Kicker Who Missed 10 Of 35 College Kicks

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

Miami Dolphins kicker Jason Sanders at rookie mini-camp. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

Everyone knows Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi hand-selected kicker Jason Sanders in the seventh round.

So Rizzi came to a recent news conference prepared to explain why a player who missed 29 percent of his college chances could be worthy of being one of only two kickers drafted in April.

“The first thing is when I go in and evaluate, when we look at the kicker position, the number one thing you’re looking at is the kicker, the talent, the ability,” Rizzi said. “A lot of people don’t want to hear this but really, when you look at a college placekicker, one of the last things I look at is field goal percentage; and there’s a reason for that.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.mypalmbeac...d-a-kicker-who-missed-10-of-35-college-kicks/

I never really thought about the consistency issues with your long snapper and holder as being an issue. makes sense. I just know they have weird friggin angles on some kicks. that's why I said id trust whatever rizzi thinks

It doesn't matter. We change our kicker every year anyway.

“I’m not going to say it’s number one; but obviously you want a guy who … I call it an NFL leg.”

It's a fact that FG% is very inconsistent from year to year. What is very consistent, on the other hand, are kickoffs. Rizzi just impressed me right there.

Good for Parkey getting the Chicago deal. Yet another fledgling player who got his On job training credibility through a Fins opportunity and then leveraged it nicely.

However, consider that Parkey was an unproven entity with plenty of question marks after being cut by the worst team in the league. He was also a local boy who grew up a fan, just like Mare. My point is that by the 4th or 5th game, the front office should have known what we had in Parkey. At that point while he was still not dealing from a position of strength, they should have tied him up with an extension that was sufficiently generous to reflect their optimism and confidence in him vs allowing him to enter free agency. If the FO was doing its job, IMO, we wouldn't be reading articles about how an inconsistent college kicker for whom we spent an actual draft pick might or might not make it in the NFL

Last edited:
If any coach on this staff has earned my trust its Rizzi, now coach him up. Also, I better not see another kick off return against us.

Good for Parkey getting the Chicago deal. Yet another fledgling player who got his On job training credibility through a Fins opportunity and then leveraged it nicely.

However, consider that Parkey was an unproven entity with plenty of question marks after being cut by the worst team in the league. He was also a local boy who grew up a fan, just like Mare. My point is that by the 4th or 5th game, the front office should have known what we had in Parkey. At that point while he was still not dealing from a point of strength, they should have tied him up with an extension that was sufficiently generous to reflect their optimism and confidence in him vs allowing him to enter free agency. If the FO was doing its job, IMO, we wouldn't be reading articles about how an inconsistent college kicker for whom we spent an actual draft pick might or might not make it in the NFL

Absolutely agree. Idk how much you can teach a kicker to be accurate if hes not already. As it stands, expect this guy to miss 1 out of every 3 or 4 kicks. Pineiro would've been a great pick however, big leg and accurate

I likednParkey and was sad to see him go. But what the Dolphins hsve been doing works.

Rizzi has proven that he can rebuild thebpunt/kick units on the fly every year at low salary cap costs and still get good results. So, while it is slightly disappointing as a fan to see the constant churn, I cannot fault Rizzi or his method. At the end of the day good special teams with more salary cap to spend on offense and defense is the very definition of doing it right.

Good on ya Rizzi. Now we will have to get used to rooting for Sanders ... for a few years.

Whatever Rizzi wants he gets....no argument from me.

I might be in the minority but I don’t think that Rizzi is a good special teams coach. All the kickers we had while he was here regressed under him. Parkey left before it could happen to him. Just saying I’m not sold on Rizzi.

a kicker's regression is indicative of whether or not somebody is a good special teams coach?

Back
Top Bottom