Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why would anyone take Pitts over Smith?

The arguments I would make for Pitts over Smith are:

Pitts is a unique player. You can use him as TE or as a WR. That gives you an uncommon level of position/formation flexibility.
TEs are mismatch nightmares in general and Pitts is particularly good at creating mis-matches.
Contracts for TEs are more team friendly. That won't be a factor on the first contract, but it would down the line.
12 personnel is, IMO, one of the most difficult formations to defend against. Most defenses don't have the personnel to consistently potentially stop the run and put enough coverage options out there against two very good receiving TEs.
I would be in favor of keeping both Gesicki and Pitts, but if we couldn't for some reason when Gesicki becomes a FA we would already have his replacement.

Now this is in no way anti-Smith. I think he's a great prospect and a great fit and the most likely pick for Miami, but you asked for the arguments so that's what I tried to provide.

Pitts is 6’6 240 with 4’4 speed and doesn’t drop anything. It’s a compelling case to be made. But Devonta’s tape is beautiful. Wouldn’t complain either way.

Exactly...there are size injury and work ethic issues with all the top WRs...Pitts is a freak...size and speed alone make him a great option...like I said we can always move back up if we wanna get one of the wideouts...but it's Pitts and nobody else at TE...I remember what Gronk did to us all those years

YearRECYRSAVGTDGAMES
Smith20201171,85615.92313
Pitts20204377017.9128

Pitts is a wide receiver that has the size to play tight end, NOT the other way around. I think Smith is a product of very talented team, were Pitts made his stats on is own. Their stats really aren't that far apart, but Pitts at 17.9 per catch is just utterly insane for a 240 lb receiver, he is SOOOOOOO GOOD! The crazy part is he doesn't look awkward, he runs routes like Chase but is 6 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier. One last thing, imagine him blocking as number two receiver, something Smith will never be able to do, our running backs will love him and reverses will be insane with him blocking on the outside. Could be best playing in entire class.

Last edited:
I’m worried that Atlanta or Cincinnati is going to take Pitts. A lot of people seem to think Cincinnati is going to be taking Chase because of the history between him and Burrow. I don’t necessarily believe that, I’m hoping we get Pitts!!!

Back
Top Bottom