Wide Receiver Fits | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wide Receiver Fits

I could see that, especially with his comparison to Hill. Hill is so special.

Love to see Miami get both Smith and Waddle. I know I'm being greedy.

How about Smith in the draft and Samuel in free agency?

I can't see the Dolphins taking two wide receivers in the first round.
Oh no way are they taking 2 WR's in round one, and TBH depending on what they do in free agency I could see them taking none in the first round.

Samuel is an interesting target, but it would depend on how they want to use him. I don't know that he is as dynamic as Hill, but if they wanted to use him in that way I could see signing him. Bowden does some nice things, but doesn't have the wheels of these other guys.

Vote ONole headspin.gif

He's 5'9" but he's not 165 lbs. People over-rely on listings in this respect and they're infamously bad. Sometimes they're literally not updated from when the guy was a freshman. I see it all the time, this acceptance of listings to the point where people are ready to make conclusive arguments based on them. Happens with Devonta Smith, Atwell, etc. I saw a listing for Dillon Radunz that has him at 265 lbs. And if you believe that, then you really shouldn't be attempting to evaluate tape.

Looking at a guy on the tape and assessing for yourself what his frame looks like to you, whether it looks deficient or whatever, it's a lost art. I don't know why people are so lazy about it.

FWIW Bruce Feldman had Atwell at 5'9" & 190 lbs., bench pressing twice his weight, squatting three times his weight, running a 4.26 with a 3.9 shuttle.

One of the reasons I like Atwell so much is that like Tyreek Hill, he's excellent at tagging the end of his routes and going into a scramble drill. He had to be, because his quarterback was Malik Cunningham. But also it's good to remember that he WAS a scrambling dual-threat quarterback himself in high school, so he's got that perspective. The result is that he's very quick and decisive about tagging the end of his route, and instinctive when it comes to finding a passing lane or an open space for his quarterback to throw into.
You have seen him more than I have I am sure. I really like what I see from him and if his weight is closer to the 190 then that's great.

Oh no way are they taking 2 WR's in round one, and TBH depending on what they do in free agency I could see them taking none in the first round.

Samuel is an interesting target, but it would depend on how they want to use him. I don't know that he is as dynamic as Hill, but if they wanted to use him in that way I could see signing him. Bowden does some nice things, but doesn't have the wheels of these other guys.

View attachment 63649
I'm not sure if there is a receiver as dynamic as Hill. KC also knows how to use him. I do like Samuel in the slot. Bowden is a keeper, but probably a 4th or 5th wide receiver.

Watching Hill and Hardman yesterday makes me covetous of Kadarius Toney.

He looks like a late 1st rounder to me.

I think he is going to the Senior Bowl so the Fins will get to work with him.

Watching Hill and Hardman yesterday makes me covetous of Kadarius Toney.

He looks like a late 1st rounder to me.

I think he is going to the Senior Bowl so the Fins will get to work with him.
Toney gets some of the best separation I've seen from this class. Reminds me of the type of player NE has had a lot of success with.

He is also is one of the most dangerous guys after the catch in this Draft.

Along with D Smith, Waddle and Rondale Moore.

With Parker, Geiski and Williams Miami has players who can win the 50/50 plays.

What the Dolphins need are receivers who can separate and get those YAC plays.

In this draft, I think the three best fits in that regard are Smith, Waddle and Toney.

Of those three, Toney is the only one who I think makes it to #18. Not sure he makes it to #36. Smith and Waddle could both go top 10.

Who are some others who fit what Miami needs?

Being a Gators homer, like I have recently been accused of, you would expect me to be banging the drum for Toney. It's in my sig even. But the more I've researched this need we have and the players available, the more I'm thinking unless we get a big discount on Toney, picking him up at the bottom of the first or even in the 2nd round, is not a move I would favour.

Toney has developed leaps and bounds these past two seasons, Mullen working his magic. He had all the talent in the world but was rarely showing it, getting practically zero targets in the passing game. He developed is route running to a acceptable level this year and the ridiculous YAC ability started to shine. The reason I'm not onboard now with this is, Perry and Bowden, I think they already fill this gadgetty type role, they are raw, probably a year or two behind Toney. Toney is faster than both and would be an upgrade, but I would rather we target that 2nd WR (I would not be happy if Toney was our only WR pick) to be someone who is a move refined route runner. I would only pull the trigger on Toney if he fell to our 3rd round pick.

My perfect, realistic, weapons haul would therefore be:

Kyle Pitts
Dovante Smith
Jovante Williams
Amari Rodgers, Elijah Moore, or Dyami Brown
I would also target a 50/50 guy to cover for the oft injured pair we have, someone like Trevon Grimes or better still Josh Imatorbhebhe

I'm also keeping a close eye on if I can get value pick ups for Toney, Tylan Wallace, Marshall, St. Brown, Rondale Moore, Surrant, Atwell, Nico Collins Seth Williams or Shi Smith.

This draft class is stacked at WR, we got to come away with a few.

Being a Gators homer, like I have recently been accused of, you would expect me to be banging the drum for Toney. It's in my sig even. But the more I've researched this need we have and the players available, the more I'm thinking unless we get a big discount on Toney, picking him up at the bottom of the first or even in the 2nd round, is not a move I would favour.

Toney has developed leaps and bounds these past two seasons, Mullen working his magic. He had all the talent in the world but was rarely showing it, getting practically zero targets in the passing game. He developed is route running to a acceptable level this year and the ridiculous YAC ability started to shine. The reason I'm not onboard now with this is, Perry and Bowden, I think they already fill this gadgetty type role, they are raw, probably a year or two behind Toney. Toney is faster than both and would be an upgrade, but I would rather we target that 2nd WR (I would not be happy if Toney was our only WR pick) to be someone who is a move refined route runner. I would only pull the trigger on Toney if he fell to our 3rd round pick.

My perfect, realistic, weapons haul would therefore be:

Kyle Pitts
Dovante Smith
Jovante Williams
Amari Rodgers, Elijah Moore, or Dyami Brown
I would also target a 50/50 guy to cover for the oft injured pair we have, someone like Trevon Grimes or better still Josh Imatorbhebhe

I'm also keeping a close eye on if I can get value pick ups for Toney, Tylan Wallace, Marshall, St. Brown, Rondale Moore, Surrant, Atwell, Nico Collins Seth Williams or Shi Smith.

This draft class is stacked at WR, we got to come away with a few.
Nice post. Since you've seen him a lot, how would you rate Toney's hands?

This kid is starting to interest me, career production is not great but that maybe because of where he was playing, the highlight reel is very nice, fits a lot of what we should be looking for:

You have seen him more than I have I am sure. I really like what I see from him and if his weight is closer to the 190 then that's great.
I am a Louisville hoops fan but i don't really follow the FB team.

But Atwell is silly, silly fast and when you consider he was a QB not that long ago his upside is scary.

Not sure what round he ends up in but he could be a major steal.

I think Miami should be looking for a Jaylen Waddle or Tutu Atwell.

It's possible that Dwayne Eskridge also fits the bill, but I haven't gotten to him yet. Miami will get a nice, close look at him this week at the Senior Bowl.

It's not just about having a dynamic player who can work the inside, backfield, jet sweeps, etc. It's also about having blinding speed that will push and hold the deep safeties from the inside-out. That's why when I see people going for some of these other slots like Kadarius Tony and Elijah Moore, I appreciate those players and I think they can do work in the NFL on the right team, but it's not everything we need in order to build the offense around Tua. We need the synergies between that type of inside speed player, the outside receiving options, and the running back.

Of course, having players on the outside that can create separation, catch-and-run, and beat man coverage is also a big deal. That's where Devonta Smith comes in. And having a running back who can beat defenders and gain yards, also a big deal. That's where a Najee Harris comes in.

Look at the Louisville Cardinals trio of Tutu Atwell, Dez Fitzpatrick, and Javian Hawkins. Look at how they all play off one another. You've got Atwell holding three defender to the middle, which gives you the ability to throw one-on-one to Fitzpatrick on the outside. You've got the east-west threat of Atwell stretching the defense to the back side, and so Javian Hawkins becomes the biggest homerun threat ball carrier in the country. If Malik Cunningham were a better passer that could've been a 40+ points per game offense.

That's what what Alabama had with Waddle, Smith, and Harris. That was the best offense college football had probably ever seen. My point in bringing up the Louisville unit is that what Alabama achieved is replicable, to a degree, even without the talents of Devonta Smith, Mac Jones, Jaylen Waddle, Najee Harris, and that squad of big ugly brutes on the line.

I have a very high opinion of Tutu Atwell and I think the Draft media will as well. I notice that Daniel Jeremiah recently started changing his 1st round mocks after consulting with NFL scouts, and suddenly he's got guys like Tutu Atwell and Aaron Robinson going in the 1st round. There's a reason. NFL people are higher on these players than the media have been, up to now.

I completely agree with the perspective. I disagree some on the specifics. I think my current favorite scenario is:

1a: Pitts
2b: Waddle

With Will Fuller in FA.

I'd be good subbing the Golden Gazelle for Pitts (or Waddle if Smith falls), but to your point of synergy, Pitts + good, super-fast WR's would stress D's in a way similar to Kelce in KC.

Normally, I wouldn't consider a TE Top 20, but Pitts is different. His release vs press is better than any WR in 2020 other than Smith. He separates, wins contested balls, and has great instincts as a target.

Anyway, I agree that you can't view these picks in a vacuum.

Atwell seems to have better acceleration than Waddle. I think he could be what we hoped Grant would be for us. I do think a combination of Devonta Smith on a slant, Najee Harris on a dive (behind Kindley and Hunt) and Atwell on a jet sweep would be particularly difficult to defend. It just stresses the defense in so many ways. Heck, throw in Gesicki running the seam on the opposite side of Smith and you put even more pressure on the D.

I am a Louisville hoops fan but i don't really follow the FB team.

But Atwell is silly, silly fast and when you consider he was a QB not that long ago his upside is scary.

Not sure what round he ends up in but he could be a major steal.
If he comes in and weighs 190lbs, and runs a 4.3 then I have no issue with him. If he comes in at 170lbs no matter how fast he is I am not a fan.

I have seen what he does, and you gotta love it, but he wont do all that in the NFL and he's going to take hits. I'm not a fan if he comes in under 180lbs.

Back
Top Bottom