Will Belichick outsmart Wanny? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Belichick outsmart Wanny?

FinsOnTop

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I hope Wanny understands a few things about playing in this weather, because it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the Pats will do.

The key to this game will be the 25+ mph winds. On defense look for NE to stack the line of scrimmage and attempt to get to Ricky in the backfield. On pass plays they will take away the middle of the field and force Jay to throw wide where the wind will aid in defending. McMichael will get more coverage than Chambers because of the wind. They'll also rush more than 4 people if the field is slippery to help generate the pass rush. Deep balls and field goals will be difficult so I see their corners playing tight.

Likewise, on offense, I don't see them trying to run the ball much. I see the Pats running short crossing routes right in front of the QB to minimize the throwing distance. They will also play more with all 4 downs around the 30 yard line understanding the need to get in closer for the field goal. If the field is icy, look for NE to throw alot and for their receivers to go with single-move routes understanding that our corners are unable to react quickly. Also an icy field will limit the pass rush, allowing NE to run slow-developing plays.

If I can figure this stuff out, you would think a professional coach would too. So the question is, will Wanny have the team prepared?

That thread title was a little comic relief, right?:goof:

yes. The Pats always run those short little routs anyway.. They have plent of tape on that.

Seriously if Miami can take away the middle of the field meaning Faulk out of the backfield and the TE's Fauria and Graham the defense will be lights out. You'll have inexperienced receivers on the outside with high winds and corners who play the ball better than any other pair. New England will create ways to use the middle of the field because that is where their strngth lies. I can't see the Pats being able to run the ball against the Dolphin front seven but you never know. I Thomas can't cover moving a safety up to cover Faulk and the TE's may be a good idea. I don't know how Hendricks would fare in coverage but from what I've seen I'd have to say not well. The thing that scares me most about this game is the Pats will attack the middle so with a gimpy Thomas and TimBo out I'm a bit concerned.

We can't let them run up the middle. That's the first thing. Then, I agree, if Zach is having issues, I like the idea of having Freeman or Wooden come in to cover Faulk and that middle cross.

Also watch out for the trick play from NE. Remember the throw back to the QB that hurt Miami a couple of years ago. They like to pull out some special plays in big games. For some reason, our coaches appear to be above it.

Yaeh I agree with you 100%. The Pats will throw the kitchen sink at us to win this game. The D better have that in the back of their minds.

-We will run double TE. Alot of it. Lots of runs to the outside. Their LBs especially "McGinest fake injury" can stop in the inside run, but are slow to the outside. Ricky burned them last year in that way and will do it again.

I think wind will be a factor in the game, but I don't think snow and ice will be as big a factor. I don't think it will be anything like the Pats/Oakland game from a couple years ago. The reason is that the new stadium has an underground heating system, so the ground won't be completely frozen, like Foxboro stadium was. Plus the field will be covered until tomorrow, when they'll pull the tarps up. And the snow is supposed to be tapering off by the afternoon. It is supposed to be windy though.

clear.gif

Originally posted by FinsOnTop
I hope Wanny understands a few things about playing in this weather, because it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the Pats will do.

The key to this game will be the 25+ mph winds. On defense look for NE to stack the line of scrimmage and attempt to get to Ricky in the backfield. On pass plays they will take away the middle of the field and force Jay to throw wide where the wind will aid in defending. McMichael will get more coverage than Chambers because of the wind. They'll also rush more than 4 people if the field is slippery to help generate the pass rush. Deep balls and field goals will be difficult so I see their corners playing tight.

Likewise, on offense, I don't see them trying to run the ball much. I see the Pats running short crossing routes right in front of the QB to minimize the throwing distance. They will also play more with all 4 downs around the 30 yard line understanding the need to get in closer for the field goal. If the field is icy, look for NE to throw alot and for their receivers to go with single-move routes understanding that our corners are unable to react quickly. Also an icy field will limit the pass rush, allowing NE to run slow-developing plays.

If I can figure this stuff out, you would think a professional coach would too. So the question is, will Wanny have the team prepared?

Quit smoking grass.

All about Faulk and the TE's. Ignore Surtain and Madison and take advantage of Kight's lack of speed.

Originally posted by XNOUGHT
All about Faulk and the TE's. Ignore Surtain and Madison and take advantage of Kight's lack of speed.

Good point just like the first game when Troy Brown ran past the two of them like they were standing in mud! LOL Or was that the dirt infield they were standing in! ;)

If the Dolphins have a soft middle, or stack 8 in the box, the Pats will take advantage. Brady has gained a great command of the field and reads defenses very quickly. When Dallas came at him like a midnight sale at WalMart, he burned them twice for deep passes, they stopped doing that after the second try. For some reason the Colts came at him much the same way early on, giving the Pats the chance to score early and often. I agree that the sideline routes may not be available as both teams have strong corners, and the wind will be a huge factor. Ricky's small hands will not help him in the cold with the middle of the Pats D trying to dislodge the ball when he comes through.
As for trick plays, don't be surprised when the Pats line up for a field goal if it is not what it seems! We have your old QB Damon Huard holding the ball, and I'm sure he'd love to catch your D sleeping for a trick TD! Good luck finz, you're gonna need it!
Oh and the subject of this thread?? Priceless!:lol:

A cheesepuff could outsmart Wanny...
Talent wins us football games, and thats fine because thats what we're full of.

Back
Top Bottom