Will Fuller on Jaylen Waddle and Dolphins' wide receiver group: 'You can't teach speed' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will Fuller on Jaylen Waddle and Dolphins' wide receiver group: 'You can't teach speed'

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Will Fuller on Jaylen Waddle and Dolphins' wide receiver group: 'You can't teach speed'

Last year, the Miami Dolphins did not create many big plays through the passing game. They threw deep down the field less often than almost any team, with just 9.2 percent of their pass attempts traveling at least 20 yards in the air, according to Tru Media. They turned just south of 38 percent of their receptions into first downs, and had just 79 passing plays that gained 16 or more yards.

Things weren't much better on the ground. The Dolphins ranked 20th in the NFL with 7.2 percent of their carries turning into gains of 15 yards or more, and 24th with 23.4 percent of their carries resulting in first downs.

This offseason, the Dolphins clearly made it a priority to add speed to their skill-position group. They signed speedster Will Fuller away from the Houston Texans on a one-year deal, then traded down from No. 3 to No. 6 in the draft, where they landed former Alabama wideout Jaylen Waddle. They also added athletic tight end Hunter Long later in the draft.

The result is a much faster group of skill players than the team had last year. Fuller, for one, is excited.

"You can't teach speed and we do have that on this team," Fuller said, per NFL.com. "Not just me and Waddle, there are other players with speed, too. It's going to be fun. We're going to do what the coaches ask of us and we just going to be playing fast and we going to make some stuff happen."

PLAYERPOSITION40 TIME
DeVante ParkerWR4.45
Will FullerWR4.32
Jaylen WaddleWR4.37*
Preston WilliamsWR4.61
Jakeem GrantWR4.38
Lynn Bowden Jr.WR/RB4.36*
Malcolm PerryWR/RB4.63
Myles GaskinRB4.58
Malcolm BrownRB4.62
Salvon AhmedRB4.32
Mike GesickiTE4.54
Hunter LongTE4.63
Note: Players marked with asterisks did not run at the combine, so times are unofficial.

Apparently, the Dolphins pushed hard for Fuller in free agency, and that's why he ended up signing in Miami, even though he only got a one-year contract.

"This was my first free agency, so I just took it as I wanted to go to a team that wanted me," Fuller said. "The Dolphins showed the most interest. That's why I chose the Dolphins. And, of course, I knew we have a great team here and we could do great things. Ever since I've been here, it's been great. I love the culture here. It's just been easy to be here. Like I said, I've been in the building as much as I can. I enjoy being here. I'm happy the Dolphins took a chance on me."

With an improved group of pass-catchers and Tua Tagovailoa now firmly entrenched as the starter under center, there's a chance for the Dolphins offense to take a step forward this year. If it does, the collective speed on hand is likely to play a significant role.

beycreative GIF

Does Ahmed really run a 4.32? And Bowden absolutely doesnt run a 4.36. Aside from the nitpicking, this offense did get a whole lot faster with the additions and the return of Wilson.
Ahmed led the Washington team combine w that time. It was run by their coach. It was hand timed, so you'd expect it to go down w laser timing.

Still does't explain how he dropped all the way down to running a 4.62 at the combine. Other players on his team that he beat easily outperformed him.

Kind of killed his chances of getting drafted, since he was already known to be lacking in the strength department.

He's def faster than his combine numbers, but very highly doubt he runs a 4.32.

But who cares? I've seen him on the field. He's fast. You want me to put a number on it? Too bad.

Last edited:
Does Ahmed really run a 4.32? And Bowden absolutely doesnt run a 4.36. Aside from the nitpicking, this offense did get a whole lot faster with the additions and the return of Wilson.
Wikipedia says 4.62.

I was gonna say, there 0% chance a Rb didn't get drafted after running a 4.32.

You'd draft a grocery bagger if he ran that and was in his early twenties

Agreed

I think I read Ahmed timed that before any pro day or combine… and didn’t run that fast for sure. But he definitely looks like he had the most juice of all the backs last year

and no way Bowden was that fast … id guess around 4.5

One dark horse no one talks about is Robert Foster. He has size 6'2 and speed 4.4. His problems in college was staying healthy. Good hands, and great special teams player.

These 40 times seem off. But also football speed is different than "underwear" speed.

The bottom line is that Dolphins have a lot of speed on their team. Now it's up to them to scheme how to use it to create opportunities. No one has a defensive backfield that can keep up with this group. If you use it right it should result in a lot of big plays.

Yup. And Waddle is in the low 4.3s, definitely not just a 4.37. Waddle runs circles around Bowden lol.

Yup. And Waddle is in the low 4.3s, definitely not just a 4.37. Waddle runs circles around Bowden lol.
Lol.... So you are argueing a couple hundeths on sub 4.4 guys in shorts?

I agree that Bowden isn't in that class.

Back
Top Bottom