Will X get double digit picks this year? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Will X get double digit picks this year?

In each of Howard's last 2 healthy seasons he's been good for over a pick a game.

Is back to back double digits possible in a 17 game season? And can X stay healthy for 17 games? If he does, it's not impossible I guess. Still damn sure wouldn't bet on it.

Byron would have to get back to being closer to the guy that gave up 6.8 yp/t with a 86 QB rating over his previous 2 seasons (as opposed to 10.6 and 108 last yr).

If not, you'd think teams would have to start avoiding X more. They threw at him over 100 times last season.

Or we can hope teams keep disrespecting X as much as the media does.

Don Doll had back-to-back 10+ INT season in 1949 and 1950. off topic, he had a third 10+ INT season later as well. the only player to achieve that.

Tom Keane had back-to-back 10+ INT season in 1952 and 1953

that's it. that's the list. it's only been done twice and not in 58 years.

If X gets on a roll, teams may choose not to throw his way, so I doubt he gets as much this year. INTs are great, but passes defended are nice, too.

X has a way of baiting QB's into thinking his receiver is open, only to find out he's wrong. That of course leads to getting the CB burned every once in a while. That's where good safety play comes in. If X stays healthy, plays in 14 or 15 games I say he gets 8 or 9.

I don't see him getting double digit INT, teams are going to go out of their way to scheme away from him.

Also with Miami drafting yet another ball hawk at Safety, there will be times where X or Holland could get the INT, and Holland ends up with it.

I will say this though, I have no doubt X will again lead the league in INTs, and will get close with maybe 7 to 9 INTs.

If he hits double figures yet again, this could be the greatest corner ever, and Miami might want to think about renegotiating his contract quick.

I thought Revis had 10 one year? Lester Hayes had 13 one year I think? Mike Reinfeldt of Houston had 12. I don’t know what we’ll see double digits again for some time. Completion % is close to 70 now vs closer to 50% when guys like Paul Krause were picking off 82 passes for a career.
According to Pro Football Reference, the most Revis had was 6 in 2009.

X had himself a season.

In each of Howard's last 2 healthy seasons he's been good for over a pick a game.

Is back to back double digits possible in a 17 game season? And can X stay healthy for 17 games? If he does, it's not impossible I guess. Still damn sure wouldn't bet on it.

Byron would have to get back to being closer to the guy that gave up 6.8 yp/t with a 86 QB rating over his previous 2 seasons (as opposed to 10.6 and 108 last yr).

If not, you'd think teams would have to start avoiding X more. They threw at him over 100 times last season.

Or we can hope teams keep disrespecting X as much as the media does.
Thats my thoughts. They will keep disrespecting him

hahaha 14 ints for Howard and you can guarantee this will be his last season in Miami after he requests a new 5 year 1 billion dollar contract.

Back to back seasons w double digit picks in this era? You do that post 2007 rule changes and you should be in the HOF immediately.

People who downplayed what X did last year, or who downplay how many picks he’s had since 2017 - or picks per game played - don’t understand how special he is. It’s hard to pick off passes today. Like, really hard.

The big rule changes that happened that directly led guys like Brees and Brady - who never through for 30 TDs or 4000 yards previously - to go over 5000 and 50+ TDs kinda make intercepting in large doses such an anomaly.

X is special. He’s been doing it since 2017 - most picks in football since and counting. Already a top 3 CB in find history w only Dick Anderson and Patrick Surtain being in the conversation for “best”.

You bring up an interesting point I’ve never thought about, the HOF. While he’s certainly has a long way to go, if he can keep up his current level of play for 4-5 more years HOF talk wouldn’t be out of line.

This team (young talent) can be an impetus for his possible selection one day. They’ve brought in the talent around him to elevate him. To think most of his success has come strictly from his own elite skill set and not at all a by product of the rest of the defense.

Jaelen Phillips is to Xavien Howard what Jaylen Waddle is to Tua. Catalysts. Launch pads.

I knew our first pick was going to be an offensive player and that was obviously the right call but I was pounding the table for more defense with our early picks. I was certainly demoted to follow Phillips up with Holland. That damn near completes a defense and upgraded two positions I was deathly worried about.

This defense is going to be something else.

Probably not but he’ll be facing a lot of rookie quarterbacks that he’ll set up for our teams benefit

Doubtful.

High turnover seasons rarely happen back to back, if for no other reason, QBs will be more aware of the problem.

If we get 6 from X, I'd be pretty happy.

You bring up an interesting point I’ve never thought about, the HOF. While he’s certainly has a long way to go, if he can keep up his current level of play for 4-5 more years HOF talk wouldn’t be out of line.

This team (young talent) can be an impetus for his possible selection one day. They’ve brought in the talent around him to elevate him. To think most of his success has come strictly from his own elite skill set and not at all a by product of the rest of the defense.

Jaelen Phillips is to Xavien Howard what Jaylen Waddle is to Tua. Catalysts. Launch pads.

I knew our first pick was going to be an offensive player and that was obviously the right call but I was pounding the table for more defense with our early picks. I was certainly demoted to follow Phillips up with Holland. That damn near completes a defense and upgraded two positions I was deathly worried about.

This defense is going to be something else.
Good point about him doing what he’s done so far with very little help. Probably not a coincidence he has 10 picks last year after Jones (the best CB) he’s played with here comes over. He’s led the league in INTs 2x in his career so far. That in and of itself is really impressive.

Back
Top Bottom