Won't Know About Waddle Until Probably Friday | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Won't Know About Waddle Until Probably Friday

The average dropped pass rate for WR’s in the NFL was 6.7 over the course of the 2022 season. Waddle had 7 dropped passes and Hill had 8 dropped passes.

So they both are just slightly above the average when it comes to the number of passes they dropped last season. Obviously we would all hope that they never drop a pass but that is unrealistic.
I do agree that Waddle had 7 drops last season which is tied fort 16th in the NFL. When you combine this with Tyreek's dropped passes it is definitely a problem as the Dolphins were ranked 5th in dropped passes last year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230811_125121_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230811_125121_Chrome.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 9
I respect your opinion but that’s not what projecting a player is about, you don’t account for what the player could be become in your post, doesn’t matter if you are a running team. Great players should be identified early in the process

Oh yeah, i got you 100% . Just saying when your offense is based on R & R, with 2 pro bowl wr's on the outside (book and chambers) a pro bowl TE (mcmichael) then its hard to pay your 6th option 4 million a year.

But i've gotten way off topic.

back to topic. Just let waddle sit out the games. I do think he needs training camp to still get him focused off body catches. I bet on the jugs machine he probably catches 100% of the time with his hands. Just when its live action he goes back to the mind set of coralling the ball into his body. We know he's gonna have the drops here and there. just gotta hope they are not in a big situation

Rice coughed it up untouched running in for a TD in the '86 playoffs loss to the Giants.
That's a fair point, but he did it in the first quarter. Doubt he would've made that mistake near the end of the game, but of course anything can happen. Also show me the playoff game where Rice, or any truly elite WR played as poorly as Waddle did last year throughout the entirety of the game. I'm sure it's happened but it's rare, and that's the only playoff game to go off of. Devonta Smith was great throughout the playoffs last year and I don't think he's elite either, just a lot more consistent than Waddle. His hands are a work in progress, Tyreek never had this issue and Rice is the greatest receiver of all time. My point is Waddle isn't elite like Tyreek was almost immediately coming into the league as a late round draft pick, not until Waddle catches and secures the ball better. Hope it's this year because we need him to be elite to get where we wanna go and it's year 3. Or maybe consider Higgins...

Last edited:
I do agree that Waddle had 7 drops last season which is tied fort 16th in the NFL. When you combine this with Tyreek's dropped passes it is definitely a problem as the Dolphins were ranked 5th in dropped passes last year.

Ingold had 5 drops on his 23 targets too which kind of sucks and makes the dropsies stick out more in our head

There is no good time for fumble or turnover if you are the offense. Every moment in a game is important start to finish since any play can be a catalyst to something else. Both Waddle and Hill did not secure the ball properly. Doesn't matter where the defender was coming from.
And that DOLFAN is the start of every fumble. I worked my RB's, TE's and WR's on ball control every day in some type of drill aimed at holding on to the ball. HIGH AND TIGHT is a thing every player I ever coached can coach you up on if you were to ask. Anytime the ball is away from your body, out off the hip, not help properly your odds of fumbling go way up.
We also worked a progression that players would do during pre warmups each day in regard to catching the ball and then protecting it. CATCH-TUCK (High and Tight), SPRINT (Get upfield as quickly as possible. This creates effective ball control and enhances playmaking by emphasiszing getting the ball safe and getting upfield asap.
Great defensive coaches coach up stripping the ball especially when the defender "see's the cues" that indicated improper ball handling.
One of my teams in youth ball actually played a 12 game schedule without fumbling the ball once. I was so proud of them for how seriously they took protecting the ball.

Would like to see how we compare in terms of drop pass rate. Total drops are a little misconstrued if certain teams pass the ball more than others.

I recall the Michael Jordan commercial where he said he'd lost over 300 games and was trusted to take the game winning shot 26 times...and missed. I remember that on the play before Joe Montana threw the game winning TD in the SB to Taylor, he threw an absolutely bone-headed pass right to a defender who dropped it.

Reality is that all players make mistakes and have weaknesses, even elite ones.

Waddle needs to work on his drops. He had a few actually during training camp. It was also an issue last season.
Yes sir agreed, he had a couple that were almost interceptions too last year but thankfully weren't. Tua put that **** right in his breadbasket and they bounced out almost being intercepted.

Back
Top Bottom