Worse Case Scenario | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Worse Case Scenario

BostonBomber,

Andrews is off the table in this scenario. I really like Smiley, but he's just not #20 material. In fact, I think we'd arguably be better off doing a 2003 Vikings manuever and letting a few teams skip ahead of us if he's the guy. At least that way, his contract will be friendlier to the cap.

Trekbiz,

I understand wanting to win this year, but the team can't put all of the eggs in that basket. If they were going to, they should by all rights trade all the draft picks for veterans because veterans would help far more in the short term than any rookie could. I just think the argument you're advancing is a non-starter.

Below are two of RS's quotes from the PC.

(On can you get a starter with the 20th pick) -- "I don't know. There are players there who can come in and help us. You don’t have a top five pick, so whoever we draft is not going to line up the first day as the starter. He’s going to have to come in and beat people out."

(On if picking with the 20th spot, would it be overly optimistic to think he can get someone who will make an impact this year) – "At the 20th pick, we’re hoping that he can have some kind of impact on this team. To what extreme, I don’t know if it’s a backup role, or if it’s doing this or that. We hope he’s going to have an impact on this team, or else we wouldn’t be drafting him. To say what impact he’ll have as a rookie, we don’t know that. But two or three years down the road, he should be a solid player for us."

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pressreleases/pressreleases.asp?contentID=3212

I agree with RS that it is unrealistic to pick a guy at #20 and think he's going to come in as an unquestioned starter. We may want to win now, but it won't be b/c of our draftpicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
although i'm a big fan of smiley i think 20 is too high. so i would take wr evans. he is big time insurance in case boston bombs or chambers is lost to f.a. should chambers be resigned and boston has a great year we could then offer evans up for a 1st round pick in next years draft ( randle hill type trade ) if we decide that we will never run enough 3 wide to make it worth keeping him.

Originally posted by dodge
although i'm a big fan of smiley i think 20 is too high. so i would take wr evans. he is big time insurance in case boston bombs or chambers is lost to f.a. should chambers be resigned and boston has a great year we could then offer evans up for a 1st round pick in next years draft ( randle hill type trade ) if we decide that we will never run enough 3 wide to make it worth keeping him.

I agree. I'd be fine with our first pick being smiley, just not at 20 overall. Trade back if you go OL after Andrews.

Carey,Vernon

i think we're selling VC a little short.
he's still a very talened OL
who could turn out 2b a Pro bowl player for a couple of season:cooldude:

Originally posted by Jimmy James

Trekbiz,

I understand wanting to win this year, but the team can't put all of the eggs in that basket. If they were going to, they should by all rights trade all the draft picks for veterans because veterans would help far more in the short term than any rookie could. I just think the argument you're advancing is a non-starter.

It's not my argument it is the Fins argument. Prime example is how they have traded future draft picks so many times. It's their mindset.
It's also one that I agree with wholeheartedly.
They don't have a choice but to put the eggs in that basket.
The offense's basket is almost empty.
When you have a need that serious you can't ignore it.
DL is set very well right now and to use the number 1 pick on it would be insane. Wanny has already made his bets on OLB with Greenwood and Moore so I really don't see them going in that direction at all. Offense is the only smart move unless they trade out for additional picks and then you can draft both.

You NEVER trade all your draft picks for vets.
You can find a starter out of the draft that will compete his first year in the 1st round if you pick well. You are building for the future as well as now.

Most comments they have made point in that direction.
They will look to add an impact offensive player in the first round or trade down hopefully netting 2 more picks. Then and only then IMO will you see them picking D before the 3rd round.

I agree with RS that it is unrealistic to pick a guy at #20 and think he's going to come in as an unquestioned starter. We may want to win now, but it won't be b/c of our draftpicks.

He never said he didn't hope to find a guy that could be a starter.
He said he would'nt come in and be the assumed starter and that the pick would have to show he could beat others out.
Big difference.

Your talking about a management team that counted on a 3rd round draft pick to start and play well enough at LT to take them where they want to go. You think they'd be less optimistic about a 1st round draft pick coming in and contributing????

I don't like the amount at which they are leaning on the draft to fix glaring holes on the OL but make no mistake, they are counting on it.

Jimmy James,

I understand that smiley would be a little reach at 20, but I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if we took him. Considering he is, from what I have read, as solid as a guard u can get. I agree, best case scenario, we trade down and try to pick him up. If andrews is gone that would be the best thing to do imo........if we can.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

He never said he didn't hope to find a guy that could be a starter.
He said he would'nt come in and be the assumed starter and that the pick would have to show he could beat others out.
Big difference.

Your talking about a management team that counted on a 3rd round draft pick to start and play well enough at LT to take them where they want to go. You think they'd be less optimistic about a 1st round draft pick coming in and contributing????

I don't like the amount at which they are leaning on the draft to fix glaring holes on the OL but make no mistake, they are counting on it.

Of course you hope to find a starter. I hope we do. But the belief on this board that we sign an OL and he starts from the beginning is far fetched.

They never counted on a 3rd rounder to start. They counted on Dixon. Wade started when they had no other options.

You're making a mistake if you think they're counting on the draft for starters this season. They're hoping and looking for upgrades. They probably have a few players targeted they think might be able to start right away, but anything starters they draft this year will be a bonus.

I don't think if u draft the right o-linemen, expecting him to start his far fetched. He would probably be rotating alot, thats ok with me. I believe if we draft the right o-linemen he can come in and make a positive impact.

I'm sick and tired of hearing all of this "that's too high for him" garbage. Do you want the guy or don't you????

If you want him, you take him at #20. If you don't, and trade down, all you're doing is rolling the dice hoping someone else doesn't snatch him up before you. It's basically nothing more than letting someone else get the player you want, and need....

All these years we've waited for a chance to get a solid first round pick, and now you want to give it away???....

I'm not at all for trading down, and I don't care if we get a second rounder or not. We need the best player available at #20. It's the OL that needs that pick, and if we trade down, you can all but forget about Carey, Smiley, or any of the other solid OLman who can start in 2004....

DON'T TRADE DOWN!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Im torn in this situation between Venon Carey and Randy Starks. Starks could well be the best DT in the entire draft and is EXCELLENT value at #20. On the other hand, Carey fits an immediate need at both Guard AND Tackle and could easilly play on the right side for us for the next 10 years.

Moreover, both players will be off the board soon after - I dont think Carey will last beyond Dallas at #22 while Starks will be gone to Seattle by #23. IMO

Back
Top Bottom