Would beating the Broncos change your mind about Philbin? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would beating the Broncos change your mind about Philbin?

At what moment did we become a team "loaded with talent?" I don't recall anybody pushing that narrative before the season.

I felt like we had a lot of talent before the season and I predicted 11-5 for us. I honestly underestimate how ugly our schedule is, though. I didn't think the Lions would be this good and we just plain got whomped by a pretty good Chiefs team.

Green Bay's defense is also getting a lot better. AFCW and NFCN is a tough draw.

So, we have a top 5 defense and are averaging 25 points per game with minimal talent? Please. While we certainly have room for improvement in several areas, we have more than enough to earn a playoff spot with a competent coach.

I never said we have minimal talent. But before the season it was kind of obvious which teams were "loaded with talent" and I didn't hear anybody try to make that claim about the Miami Dolphins. Lets not pretend Philbin is turning the 2013 Seahawks into a mediocre team.

I never said we have minimal talent. But before the season it was kind of obvious which teams were "loaded with talent" and I didn't hear anybody try to make that claim about the Miami Dolphins. Its not like Philbin is turning the 2013 Seahawks into a mediocre team.

The teams "loaded with talent" (you must be quoting somebody else) are the division leaders, the ones fighting for 1st round byes. Nobody put them in that area and only a very very very select few have those kind of expectations. Wildcard, on the other hand, isn't exactly setting the bar at an unattainable level. We certainly have the talent for that. Hell, given our ability to play with the pats, it's not crazy to think we could compete for the division, with the right coach of course. Talent-wise, it's clearly there.

I felt like we had a lot of talent before the season and I predicted 11-5 for us. I honestly underestimate how ugly our schedule is, though. I didn't think the Lions would be this good and we just plain got whomped by a pretty good Chiefs team.

Green Bay's defense is also getting a lot better. AFCW and NFCN is a tough draw.

The KC game is the one that probably drives me the most crazy. You couldn't have asked for a better situation in which to face them. They were decimated by injuries and it was a home game against a wildcard contender. You have to win that game. Instead...

Vegas had us as an 8-8 team, that was a pretty fair assessment of our talent level, though I had us as an 8.5 win team so imo they sold us a bit short. I did put money on us when the line fell to 7.5.

Its not fair to play the wait and see game because how can you be sure if we really are "loaded with talent" or if our decent talent is being coached up to look great?

It would have nothing to do with Philbin. Lazor and Benton are making the difference...Philbin is along for the ride but keeps stepping on the ****ing brakes....

That is pure speculation, none of what you said means jack. It's annoying reading posts like this. Do you have inside knowledge within the team? How do you know this? :bobdole:

Vegas had us as an 8-8 team, that was a pretty fair assessment of our talent level, though I had us as an 8.5 win team so imo they sold us a bit short. I did put money on us when the line fell to 7.5.

Its not fair to play the wait and see game because how can you be sure if we really are "loaded with talent" or if our decent talent is being coached up to look great?

I had us at 9-7 based on talent, question marks, schedule, and a lack of faith in Philbin. Beating SD and finally beating the jills goes a long way for me, but he has to finish the job this season. I guess I have to go back and see who wrote "loaded with talent" and apparently struck a nerve with you. :lol: We certainly do have talent though, more than enough to get into the playoffs with a good coach.

I am starting to come around slightly in that instead of a SB win, I'd probably keep him only if we managed to get to the divisional round and made a good game out of it.

This guy is about as good as Wannstedt. He's right now a happy 'victim' of circumstance. Circumstances like better coaches surrounding him, players starting to develop. As a HC, he's just there. As soon as he makes some bone headed mistakes (as he has this year) to potentially cost us games, people will be right on him again. A lot of you want to hang onto him like you did Ireland, that worked out great.

In and of itself, no. While it would be a big win, there are upsets like that all the time around the league. Part of the issue surrounding Philbin, at least in my mind, is he hasn't been able to build off wins like that. The Dolphins could be the Patriots and then lose to the Bills and Jets, for instance.

Philbin's teams have consistently come out flat, and they haven't shown an ability to win big games. Problems that have been around almost since Day 1 have persisted with his teams. One win isn't going to wash that all away. One win could be a fluke.

I had us at 9-7 based on talent, question marks, schedule, and a lack of faith in Philbin. Beating SD and finally beating the jills goes a long way for me, but he has to finish the job this season. I guess I have to go back and see who wrote "loaded with talent" and apparently struck a nerve with you. :lol: We certainly do have talent though, more than enough to get into the playoffs with a good coach.

Making a prediction is not the same as coming up with a betting line. And no offense but I don't believe for a second someone that knew the outgoing GM sucked, that thinks the coach sucks, that thinks the QB probably sucks, that thinks the new GM probably sucks and thinks the schedule is brutal would bet their life on that team winning 9 games.

Unless you've flip-flopped on how you feel about Tannehill I call BS on you believing this team is just a good coach away from being a 10+ win team. For the people that really believe Tannehill is elite that makes sense, but for somebody that isn't sure about the QB that is a pretty important piece of the talent pool you're neglecting.

And yes somebody in this thread did say 'our team is a team loaded with talent being held back by poor coaching' and it obviously did strike a nerve.

Making a prediction is not the same as coming up with a betting line. And no offense but I don't believe for a second someone that knew the outgoing GM sucked, that thinks the coach sucks, that thinks the QB probably sucks, that thinks the new GM probably sucks and thinks the schedule is brutal would bet their life on that team winning 9 games.

Unless you've flip-flopped on how you feel about Tannehill I call BS on you believing this team is just a good coach away from being a 10+ win team. For the people that really believe Tannehill is elite that makes sense, but for somebody that isn't sure about the QB that is a pretty big piece of the talent pool.

And yes somebody in this thread did say 'our team is a team loaded with talent being held back by poor coaching' and it obviously did strike a nerve.

What the hell does a betting line have to do with the discussion then? Terrible reading comprehension on your part if you think I went into the season thinking Tannehill sucks (or ever thought he sucked). Look, I get it, you are all in on Philbin's nuts, but that doesn't mean you need to make **** up. I criticized poor play and felt (and still feel) he had room for improvement in some areas. I've never said he sucks (maybe a drunken statement in the game day thread at some point, but only an idiot would take comments made in those vent threads as gospel). As for Hickey, I haven't expressed an opinion. I came into the season with an open mind and have been pleasantly surprised for the most part (would have liked more depth on the OL via FA, amongst other things, but can't get everything).

I feel our talent level is at the point where if Tannehill plays decent (not elite), this is a playoff team with proper coaching. For the past few weeks, Tannehill has exceeded those expectations, so one less excuse for Philbin. If they come out and blow games at the end of the season like they have before, Philbin should be given the boot. The talent is most certainly there.

I feel our talent level is at the point where if Tannehill plays decent (not elite), this is a playoff team with proper coaching. For the past few weeks, Tannehill has exceeded those expectations, so one less excuse for Philbin. If they come out and blow games at the end of the season like they have before, Philbin should be given the boot. The talent is most certainly there.

So we are on the same page for the most part. The difference is I believe Tannehill needs to keep playing like he has been to get to 10 wins, and we were on pace for exactly 10 wins at the halfway point. If Tannehill plays great every week we can, and will, win 11 or 12 games. If he goes back to playing like he did against the Chiefs every week then we might not win another game. Outside of Tannehill there isn't much room for improvement with the talent we have on the rest of the team right now. Maybe the coaches deserve some blame for not bringing him along quicker but as long as we're on the right track I can be patient. And I believe Ireland set us back a year on the development front.

At the beginning of this year, I don't remember anyone thinking we had playoff talent on our roster. I think a lot of the people who predicted playoffs based their predictions on the development of our core players and rookies. Regardless of how you feel about the talent of this team, you have to give the coaching staff credit for developing the talent.

I don't particularly care who he beats at this point. It seems pretty obvious to me that we have a talented team that could go further than they currently are with a better head coach.

Back
Top Bottom