Would you take a chance on Kyle Orton in 4th round | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you take a chance on Kyle Orton in 4th round

yankeehillbilly said:
McPherson was a star in HS, about avg in college (great TD to INT ratio, but only 51% completions), and about average in the AFL.
Orton was named as the 2nd best QB in the nation in HS by Superprep (7th best by another scout), set school records and named to several top lists by sports publications and scouts while in college. His TD to INT ratio isnt as good as McPhersons, but his completion rate is much higher. He's also tough as nails. His ability to play through pain is reminiscent of Brett Favre. He needs to gain some more strength, and as with any QB taken on the 2nd day of the draft he will need to learn a year or two before starting.
Overall though, I would take Orton over McPherson any day of the week and twice on Sunday (which of course is the day that matters)
Like he said....

i rather have us draft a OL at 4 & draft a project QB in 6th ot 7th like Derek Anderson from Oregon STate. i read somewhere that he had a private workout or meet with Saban before the draft. not sure if it was him but i rem it saying a 6-6 QB meet with saban before the draft.

MelbournePhin said:
mcpherson. any qb is a gamble this late why not go for the guy with the biggest upside?

did anyone actually watch AD play college ball?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7552203/ decemt article (not a typical statistics column)

if you thought his TD to INT was good in college....check this out:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7027488/

He’s grown into that gifted 6-foot-3 body, going from the lanky 185 pounds that made some scouts question his durability into a 220-pound muscle man capable of almost anything.

With the Firebirds last season, he completed nearly 60 percent of his passes, throwing for 3,297 yards and 61 touchdowns with just five interceptions. He also rushed for 259 yards  and stayed out of trouble.

I guess if he's gotten better in AFL there may be something there. But man, i remember him against NCstate thinking how awful he was. He can run and throw the ball far, but actually hitting a receiver? terrible.

i know....his college stats weren't the greatest....but not bad for a sophmore starting out either......all american (whatever) basketball & football in high school...etc. the kid has loads of talent with a tremendous upside.....as long as he's learned his mistakes. Orton and others have had 3-4 years in systems to show what they can do, Adrian hasn't which is why everyone says with some maturity.....beefing up as he has...and playing some more he could be the steal of the draft.

[edit] just thought....if he can connect as often as Feeley and NOT throw INTs....then we just won more games....lol [edit]

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I'd rather take a chance on McPherson!

Me to 100% if we get the chance to take him and we do we will not regret it! he will destroy teams with his legs and his arm! he is used to playing a speedy game, AFL which is much faster than collage football because AFL has ex nfl players in it! if Mcpherson stayed in collage football he would of been a high first rounder

Would prefer to beef up the O line . Since we're going to take a couple years make this team a contender, let's give Ronnie the best opportunity for success. We'll have a better chance to pick up a quality QB early in 2006. :cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom