Wow - Joe Rose Of All People Does Not Want To Give Tua A New Deal Yet | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wow - Joe Rose Of All People Does Not Want To Give Tua A New Deal Yet

Here is what Joe had to say

WQAM’s Joe Rose said Monday that he wouldn’t be extending Tagovailoa if he was Chris Grier.

“They’ve got to make some tough decisions,” Rose said. “I’ve gotta tell you, let me be the first to tell you, he ain’t getting a new contract (if it were) me. The extension, he’s got $23 (million he’ll make in 2024), he’s the best you have right now. I’m not saying get rid of him, he had a Pro Bowl year. He's at the top when you look at regular season stats, but you’ve seen what happens.

“That’s really up to Chris and Mike, and I’m sure that contract is going to be a question, one or two, today. I know Mike loves Tua, I know he loves him. He’s rehabbed him to one of the greatest turnarounds we’ve seen. He’s played every game and put up overall really good numbers. But, boy, I’ll tell you what, watching the last few weeks, you didn’t see it. You just did not see it, really frustrating.”

Isn't he Axl's uncle?

Rock on!

guns n roses GIF

Because open market values skew heavily in favor of QB's at the moment. I've seen people floating $45M-$50M/year for Tua. QBs who are getting these contracts without having won anything in the playoffs are likely being overpaid. There's only a few QBs in the league who are a good investment at that rate, and the rest are the beneficiaries of market scarcity of the highest tier.

How many wins does Tua probably provide the Dolphins above the average QB? That's where we need to take the discussion. If Tua is that critical piece needed to put things over the top, I could see paying him $47M per, but if signing him to that contract is going to impede adding talent at other positions on the roster, the contract may make this an overall worse team. There's ample evidence to suggest teams like ours should go for a QB on the rookie contract rather than building around Tua.
The market should be the deciding factor on how much you pay your players. Tua included. I have no idea what the current market is going to be for his level of QB, but we are going to be paying market value.....we shouldn't pay more and we shouldn't expect him to take less.

We can agree that QB salaries are out of control to a certain degree, but that again....is the current market.

Here is what Joe had to say

WQAM’s Joe Rose said Monday that he wouldn’t be extending Tagovailoa if he was Chris Grier.

“They’ve got to make some tough decisions,” Rose said. “I’ve gotta tell you, let me be the first to tell you, he ain’t getting a new contract (if it were) me. The extension, he’s got $23 (million he’ll make in 2024), he’s the best you have right now. I’m not saying get rid of him, he had a Pro Bowl year. He's at the top when you look at regular season stats, but you’ve seen what happens.

“That’s really up to Chris and Mike, and I’m sure that contract is going to be a question, one or two, today. I know Mike loves Tua, I know he loves him. He’s rehabbed him to one of the greatest turnarounds we’ve seen. He’s played every game and put up overall really good numbers. But, boy, I’ll tell you what, watching the last few weeks, you didn’t see it. You just did not see it, really frustrating.”

Thanks for the recap.

The market should be the deciding factor on how much you pay your players. Tua included. I have no idea what the current market is going to be for his level of QB, but we are going to be paying market value.....we shouldn't pay more and we shouldn't expect him to take less.

We can agree that QB salaries are out of control to a certain degree, but that again....is the current market.
But are the more successful teams paying market rates? I don't have the time to do the analysis, but I would want to know at what positions they are paying market rate and which ones they aren't to see if there is some pattern there. I know that for several years it was said that NE was never paying out big for their lineman and were able to patchwork the offensive line and coach those guys up. That's the sort of thing you want a GM to recognize from the available pool of talent.

I just get this nagging feeling that we don't want to pay Tua top-5 QB money and then have to sacrifice from the rest of the roster. It's already been on my mind that the Chiefs let Tyreek go, and maybe we should consider it too. There's just a lot of needs on the roster.

Last edited:
Go easy on Joe. He's playing the bad cop role here. Grier be sneaky. Trying get Tua on a team friendly one by planting seeds like this.

4D chess boys. Or was it checkers?

$50 million a year is ridiculous but the market is the market

Watson got a fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million contract :WOW:

I mean, I guess no QB is really worth jack **** other than mahomes. They rest of 'em suck ass and all eventually lose to the Chiefs anyways
This may be sarcastic, but I'm starting to believe this too tbh. I feel like we've been entering a pretty mediocre age of QB play after being spoiled through 2 straight eras of watching guys like Marino, Elway, Peyton and Brady. Outside of Mahomes, there really isn't another young QB in the league currently that I envy or think is "future HOF worthy". It's pretty much Mahomes, a huge gap, then 10-12 QBs who are just "meh". I wouldn't be at all shocked if Mahomes just runs through this era like a buzz saw and wins 8+ Super Bowls.

And what kind of decision authority does Joe Rose have in the Fins organization?

But are the more successful teams paying market rates? I don't have the time to do the analysis, but I would want to know at what positions they are paying market rate and which ones they aren't to see if there is some pattern there. I know that for several years it was said that NE was never paying out big for their lineman and were able to patchwork the offensive line and coach those guys up. That's the sort of thing you want a GM to recognize from the available pool of talent.

I just get this nagging feeling that we don't want to pay Tua top-5 QB money and then have to sacrifice from the rest of the roster. It's already been on my mind that the Chiefs let Tua go, and maybe we should consider it too. There's just a lot of needs on the roster.
So.....Mahomes, Jackson and Allen are all at or above market rates. Bengals made Burrow the highest paid of them all. Even Goff makes $31M. Only Purdy is on a rookie deal and Love signed an extension in lieu of his 5th year option.

Most teams make it work.

Back
Top Bottom