Wow - Joe Rose Of All People Does Not Want To Give Tua A New Deal Yet | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wow - Joe Rose Of All People Does Not Want To Give Tua A New Deal Yet

And what kind of decision authority does Joe Rose have in the Fins organization?

Wondering what your thoughts are on the extension brother NBP

How would you approach it

The market should be the deciding factor on how much you pay your players. Tua included. I have no idea what the current market is going to be for his level of QB, but we are going to be paying market value.....we shouldn't pay more and we shouldn't expect him to take less.

We can agree that QB salaries are out of control to a certain degree, but that again....is the current market.
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I also think QB is the one spot where "value" should not be the overriding factor. What good is value in attaining a third tier QB?

This is not Tua specific, nor should it be construed as directed at him. It's more of an overall philosophy.

For example, you might be able to get good "value" on guys like Sam Howell or Jake Browning. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to go after them, and I'm certainly not going to give them a long term, high guarantee contract.

As far as Tua, if one thinks he is "it". Pay him "it" money. If one thinks he's just "OK", why resign him at all.

I can see the opinion of sign him to a big contract if one thinks he is "elite". If one thinks that, why are you trying to underpay?

I can also see the opinion of let the 5th year play out and reassess if one is not convinced at this time.

What I really can't wrap my head around is wanting to sign QB one thinks is average or even a little above to a mid level salary. I just don't get the logic. Why extend him at all if one doesn't believe he is a top guy?

So.....Mahomes, Jackson and Allen are all at or above market rates. Bengals made Burrow the highest paid of them all. Even Goff makes $31M. Only Purdy is on a rookie deal and Love signed an extension in lieu of his 5th year option.

Most teams make it work.
With regard to Allen, we're going to find out if the Bills ever sniff a Superbowl with him under contract. He certainly would appear to have "it" but then we have yet to see "it" elevate them into a Superbowl. I don't really hold all the blame against Allen for that though. What the reality is is that the Bills will have to make it work.

As for the Chiefs, they weren't having to endure Mahommes' mammoth contract before they won a Superbowl, and since then they've had to make it work but at least their roster was stockpiled with talent by that point.

I'm not dead set against resigning Tua, but I think the roster will suffer if they sign him to the same kind of deal as Mahommes.

With regard to Allen, we're going to find out if the Bills ever sniff a Superbowl with him under contract. He certainly would appear to have "it" but then we have yet to see "it" elevate them into a Superbowl. I don't really hold all the blame against Allen for that though. What the reality is is that the Bills will have to make it work.

As for the Chiefs, they weren't having to endure Mahommes' mammoth contract before they won a Superbowl, and since then they've had to make it work but at least their roster was stockpiled with talent by that point.

I'm not dead set against resigning Tua, but I think the roster will suffer if they sign him to the same kind of deal as Mahommes.
Wonder how the Ravens are feeling about Lamar these days. All world (depends on your metric) during the regular season to umm not quite that when at home, healthy in the AFC title game. Of course not all in him but he did seem a bit rattled when it counted. Ok flowers didn't help but it was by no means a championship winning QB display.

Some (few) guys just have "it". Mahomes, Brady etc. MJ was clutch when it counted.

In the end I think we sign Tua to 3 years with some bonuses.

Is there something wrong with Tua playing on the 5th year option, which is part of the contract he signed as a rookie ?

I may be wrong but I think with an extention now they can structure it where the cap hit next season is not very high to free up money for other needs

Is there something wrong with Tua playing on the 5th year option, which is part of the contract he signed as a rookie ?
The only disadvantage is that you can't manipulate that cap number, which as I have said before, is not a good reason in itself to do it, IMO.

If the powers that be already think he is "the guy", then it makes sense to do it now.

Wondering what your thoughts are on the extension brother NBP

How would you approach it
I don't even know what the argument is about tbh... if you get 2 top 5 seasons from your QB during his rookie deal, you pay up.

The Dolphins are in a tough spot with the Tua extension looming. As are any teams with good QB's right now. The Market is what will pay Tua and he will get a top 5 deal. Whether we agree, like or dislike him, this regime is tied to him and the success or lack there of to come. I would love if he made less than top ten money and the only way that happens will be if Tua takes a big team discount. I see that happening in other sports but not sure it does in football as the Union is strong.

What a great debate it will be when that number roles in....likely before the draft???? I say this because it will affirm they believe they have their QB....which Grier has already publicly mentioned and they will not want any QB distractions during and prior to the draft.

What I find less obvious is what happens to Wilkins.

P.S. does anyone know a way to listen in to Joe Rose's show if you live far away? I've tried with no luck yet.

The Dolphins are in a tough spot with the Tua extension looming. As are any teams with good QB's right now. The Market is what will pay Tua and he will get a top 5 deal. Whether we agree, like or dislike him, this regime is tied to him and the success or lack there of to come. I would love if he made less than top ten money and the only way that happens will be if Tua takes a big team discount. I see that happening in other sports but not sure it does in football as the Union is strong.

What a great debate it will be when that number roles in....likely before the draft???? I say this because it will affirm they believe they have their QB....which Grier has already publicly mentioned and they will not want any QB distractions during and prior to the draft.

P.S. does anyone know a way to listen in to Joe Rose's show if you live far away? I've tried with no luck yet.
Audacy app

as per above.

if Tua takes a big team discount.

We just can't get in all upside down & over-torqued with this kid.

Yeah he's a nice fella and loves his mom BUT... His limitations are glaring

and therefore unworthy of MEGA MILLIONS!

:oops:

I hope we can keep him on a VERY TEAM FRIENDLY deal.

250mm for 5 yrs 300mm for 6 yrs..NO Way
We can win with Tua. He was elite skill set. I believe he can be a Super Bowl Champion with the right team around him. People watching the playoffs want what Mohomes, Jackson , & Allen. Guess what?… there are not that many of those type of players In the world.
Play another injury free season . Get a little quicker. His bulk made him look slow this year.
I agree with Joe let him play it out. It worked well for Baltimore.

In case you didn't know, the station is WQAM.

Search "WQAM listen live".

Be prepared for a butt load of commercials.

I used to listen every morning, but can't do it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom