wow | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

wow

i understand that but it's not like rb isn't a position that can be filled with a rookie and that rook be very effective...imo it's one of the easiest positions in pro football to fill and contribute in short order...

i'd be more along the lines of getting a back in the 3rd round or so or next year early than with pick #12

but i agree with you ck that spiller is every bit talented enough to justify the pick

i personally wouldn't take spiller over bryant right now at least...that could change if we filled some needs in free agency etc

The problem with this thinking is that C.J. Spiller isn't a position "fill". He's a rare talent. He's not Adrian Peterson, but he is absolutely one of the best backs I've seen coming out.

There's a difference between a guy that just gains yards behind a good offensive line, and a guy that genuinely scares a defense. Spiller is a guy that scares a defense. It isn't easy to find a guy like that.

I probably wouldn't take Spiller over Bryant either, I agree with that...BUT, that also depends on what happens with free agency, doesn't it? I mean if it works out to where there is a new CBA, Ronnie is set to be a free agent, he wants to be the richest back in the NFL, meanwhile because of the CBA some options at WR and LB open up....do you pay Ronnie Brown if that means not being able to make offers to good WRs and LBs in free agency? I would rather fill those needs with guys that could make immediate impacts, free agents, than rookies who will need years of seasoning. Like you said, Spiller could make an IMMEDIATE impact, which means he could be an IMMEDIATE replacement for Ronnie Brown.

I think that could be the smarter move, IF things play out that way with the CBA and available free agents. By doing that you don't lose anything at tailback, and you gain immediate help at the other positions, instead of focusing on a rookie WR or LB who may take years of seasoning to be good.

C.J. Spiller ain't carrying no load in the NFL...lol...he don't even carry one in college...

He's a threat to score about a half dozen different ways...and if he gets a step on you....you might as well just go sit down and get some gatorade because you ain't catching him....

That said...I think Mark Ingram and Ryan Williams are more built for being featured backs in the NFL...

The featured back in the NFL is a dinosaur.

Teams have figured out that it's not necessarily a smart way to go even if you have talent at that position.

And I should add that I see absolutely no reason Chris Johnson could take 358 carries and that C.J. Spiller could not do that in any given year.

The problem with this thinking is that C.J. Spiller isn't a position "fill". He's a rare talent. He's not Adrian Peterson, but he is absolutely one of the best backs I've seen coming out.

There's a difference between a guy that just gains yards behind a good offensive line, and a guy that genuinely scares a defense. Spiller is a guy that scares a defense. It isn't easy to find a guy like that.

I probably wouldn't take Spiller over Bryant either, I agree with that...BUT, that also depends on what happens with free agency, doesn't it? I mean if it works out to where there is a new CBA, Ronnie is set to be a free agent, he wants to be the richest back in the NFL, meanwhile because of the CBA some options at WR and LB open up....do you pay Ronnie Brown if that means not being able to make offers to good WRs and LBs in free agency? I would rather fill those needs with guys that could make immediate impacts, free agents, than rookies who will need years of seasoning. Like you said, Spiller could make an IMMEDIATE impact, which means he could be an IMMEDIATE replacement for Ronnie Brown.

I think that could be the smarter move, IF things play out that way with the CBA and available free agents. By doing that you don't lose anything at tailback, and you gain immediate help at the other positions, instead of focusing on a rookie WR or LB who may take years of seasoning to be good.

absolutely...like i said it all depends on free agency and trades etc as to who bottom line i'd take

but i agree with slimm that ingram and guys like williams are more equipped to handle 20 plus carries per game

Chris Johnson is going to be a dinosaur if he carrys the ball 300+ times again....

I'm telling you he won't last...I'd be surprised if he ever carries the football more than 300 times again....something will happen....

And I should add that I see absolutely no reason Chris Johnson could take 358 carries and that C.J. Spiller could not do that in any given year.

how long do you think chris johnson is gonna be able to handle that many carries??? not long imo

Chris Johnson is going to be a dinosaur if he carrys the ball 300+ times again....

I'm telling you he won't last...I'd be surprised if he ever carries the football more than 300 times again....something will happen....

bingo

I was so surprised he was able to carry the ball 358 times. It was obvious he was wearing down a lot, and he definitely would have it a wall if the Titans made the playoffs.

Instead of CJ Spiller, how about Jahvid Best? His draft stock seems to be falling a lot, and I'd rather use a second round pick on a RB instead of a first rounder. Spiller and Best are both undersized but explosive. Your takes?

i wouldn't take best in the 2nd either...i don't see another gear speed wise

if i was gonna take a rb in the 2nd his name would be the bruiser anthony dixon and we'd punish cats

I don't expect that to be a long term workload for Chris Johnson, but so what? It's not a long term workload for ANYONE in the NFL anymore.

Teams just aren't doing it anymore. It doesn't make sense. Was it a long term work load for the MUCH bigger and stronger Michael Turner?

Is it a long term work load for Brandon Jacobs?

I only see FOUR guys in the NFL this year that carried the ball on average more than 20 times in a game. Four. That's it. And of them, I don't think 3 of them will continue to be given that kind of workload.

I don't expect that to be a long term workload for Chris Johnson, but so what? It's not a long term workload for ANYONE in the NFL anymore.

Teams just aren't doing it anymore. It doesn't make sense. Was it a long term work load for the MUCH bigger and stronger Michael Turner?

Is it a long term work load for Brandon Jacobs?

I only see FOUR guys in the NFL this year that carried the ball on average more than 20 times in a game. Four. That's it. And of them, I don't think 3 of them will continue to be given that kind of workload.

no it wasn't a long term workload for them and both those backs you've mentioned have had chronic injuries this year...

heck even ap isn't gonna hold up much longer imo at 24 getting 300 plus carries a year and he is by far my top rb in the league

we can't even keep ronnie brown healthy sharing carries...

i'd be real leary running cj spiller like the titans have run chris johnson

I think Spillers talent and versatility maybe worth a top 15 pick....but I dont think the VALUE is there....

Running backs are too easy to find and plug in...especially in tandem....

I'd rather take a smaller version of Spiller (Dexter McCluster) in the middle rounds....there's nothing Spiller can do that McCluster can't do IMO....

I've watched that kid absolutely take over games and dominate them in the SEC too...pound for pound the toughest SOB in college football...and use him just like you would Spiller....

Or sign a guy like Leon Washington in free agency, etc...

I just think a top 12 pick should be a player that's going to impact every play on that side of the ball...which is usually a defensive player....or a QB/OT if it's offense...

Well its only January 6th, plenty of things can change...but McClain or Bryant or Spiller (in that order) would be welcome in a Fins Uni...looking forward to your analysis closer to the draft CK...

I am more focused on filling our voids at Linebacker and Safety, i believe our offense did enough to win 10-11 games this year if not for our sieve of a Defense...

Back
Top Bottom