Wright Fighting Depression, Early Entry Decision | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wright Fighting Depression, Early Entry Decision

jaketaylor said:
I dont begrudge anyone either. My only point to this thread is that I dont feel sorry for Manny Wright no matter how many sad stories are printed in the paper about him.
If I submit what it is I do, then I will lose my job (And that would be the least of the trouble for me). But if its any proof to my statement, there are four very good friends who are all former NFL players and they have ALL told me that they wouldnt take my job for any amount of money.
I am all for guys making as much money as someone will pay them. But IMO, with money comes a loss of sympathy from those who dont make millions. Without this falling into something petty, I will not post on this thread anymore after this last post.

Sounds like you need to find yourself another job.

If your job is so brutal, difficult and....I assume....low paying, with little to no job security (cut-throat), it makes little sense to keep doing it.

I've battled depression and anxiety, but it was mainly with quitting drugs and alcohol. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. I've also managed to keep a good paying job while beating my inner deamons. I've got a wife and a great house. and blah blah blah

Depression is a touchy subject, lets see how Manny handles it. Seems like he's on the right path, but it only takes one slip up to fall back into the slums.

To the tough guys that don't want to hear it, depression can hit anyone and anyones point. It could hit you when everything is perfect.

It just takes a little compassione and personalization. I don't need to reflect on the things I didn't have growing up or the crappy jobs I had coming up. I feel for the kid. A kid with money. He was made to be a national laughingstock and is struggling to get over it and other difficulties as he tries to become a man.

It's got nothing to do with wealth or status. We're human beings. And we have the same innate emotions, insecurities and fears. And money generally can't solve them. That comes from within.

Manny Wright will be fine. He's having his life turned upside down and having to grow up and change all at once. That's tough for an immature 21-year old kid. Being embarassed like that for the whole world to see....and having to live it down the rest of his days....that compounds things. And he's coming to grips with some decisions he's made. But it's gonna make him stronger in the long run.

Awsi Dooger said:
Bravo. When I read or hear fans who fling the "millions of dollars for playing a game" crap it just stamps them as world class pathetic simpletons.

Everyone has unique skills and potential and understands the requirements and salary likelihood of a given profession. In the case of a professional athlete, it's merely a potential profession. The number of jobs is pin head compared to the number of pursuers. That is one of the factors never fully grasped, or applied by the blindfolded jealous types. If you simultaneously had a video of all the aspiring athletes who never made it to the pro ranks and along the way endured serious physical injury that impacts the entirety of their lifespan, the opinions might be a tad different. But then again, probably not. The woe-is-me types are remarkably relentless. Go find a blanket and a pacifier.

I guess impossible things do happen. I totally 100% agree with you. That is so well said.

He needs to get over it. In reality, he was never a national laughingstock. It was a one-day highlight that people kinda chuckled at -- that's it. Hell, no one in America other than die-hard Fish fans could even tell you the guy's name.

He just needs to stay out of the media (regarding the issue), and string together a few decent performances next season.

B-LO said:
He needs to get over it. In reality, he was never a national laughingstock. It was a one-day highlight that people kinda chuckled at -- that's it. Hell, no one in America other than die-hard Fish fans could even tell you the guy's name.

He just needs to stay out of the media (regarding the issue), and string together a few decent performances next season.

Yes I do agree with you when you say that only die hards will know his name... but what do you think will happen once he starts playing? Once he starts to play, that event will start coming up again and that will be another test to him. Deep down inside, he must know that for him to become a NFL starter, he will have to deal with that embarrasment again. But I am pulling for him. As long as his name gets mentioned by the media, that moment won't be very far behind.

ScrepsMJ said:
Yes I do agree with you when you say that only die hards will know his name... but what do you think will happen once he starts playing? Once he starts to play, that event will start coming up again and that will be another test to him. Deep down inside, he must know that for him to become a NFL starter, he will have to deal with that embarrasment again. But I am pulling for him. As long as his name gets mentioned by the media, that moment won't be very far behind.
That is true, but if he shows he is a tough guy, it will be forgotten. R. Williams did some weird stuff his first couple of years (postgame interviews with only a helmet on) and people forgot that when he produced.

B-LO said:
That is true, but if he shows he is a tough guy, it will be forgotten. R. Williams did some weird stuff his first couple of years (postgame interviews with only a helmet on) and people forgot that when he produced.

good point, it will be interesting to see how Wright produces now. He seems to have the heart.

finmann said:
I hope Saban's outburst on this kid didn't do more harm than good. Maybe Saban should pair him up with someone on the team, like a veteran....someone who can show this kid life in the NFL. That whole article is a little scary.

I agree. People are taking this article as a good thing, honestly it just scared me to death that he's going to have some big boy problems.

I don't have much sympathy for Manny Wright. I have had drill sergeants get on my case far worse than anything coach Saban might have said.

jacques strapp said:
I don't have much sympathy for Manny Wright. I have had drill sergeants get on my case far worse than anything coach Saban might have said.

:lol: He didn't give you the option to quit, did he?

jacques strapp said:

...I'm sure that an NFL camp is much more demanding than Army bootcamp anyway...:D

endorphin said:
After reading through this thread, I find it intriguing how so many people dehumanize others who make a lot of money. As if because they’re millionaires, they do not have feelings or issues like the rest of us; and because they are millionaires they should be able to handle the abuse.

I see people with less want to debase those with more. I think it is insecurity and jealousy more than anything else…the sort of “you think you’re better than me†mentality to hide behind.

Awsi Dooger said:
Bravo. When I read or hear fans who fling the "millions of dollars for playing a game" crap it just stamps them as world class pathetic simpletons.

Everyone has unique skills and potential and understands the requirements and salary likelihood of a given profession. In the case of a professional athlete, it's merely a potential profession. The number of jobs is pin head compared to the number of pursuers. That is one of the factors never fully grasped, or applied by the blindfolded jealous types. If you simultaneously had a video of all the aspiring athletes who never made it to the pro ranks and along the way endured serious physical injury that impacts the entirety of their lifespan, the opinions might be a tad different. But then again, probably not. The woe-is-me types are remarkably relentless. Go find a blanket and a pacifier.

BOTH very good points!

Back
Top Bottom