Wright In Second Round?/We Helped Shell | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wright In Second Round?/We Helped Shell

Why is everybody so up on Roscoe Crosby? Has anyone actually seen him play? Personally, I think he has a lot of flaws. He has raw talent but his potential is really hazy at the moment. I think he seems like a guy that hype has built. But he has potential and I'd gamble a 7th round pick on him possibly.

ckparrothead said:
I would pass on Wright in the 2nd round. I think I may even pass on him in the 4th round. I'd spend a 6th rounder on Roscoe Crosby.

you don't want to give up nothing. You would be no fun to trade with. :lol:

Is some of the people in this thread the same people whining and complaining about NOT getting Wilfork?

My argument is not about semantics, it's about logic. For the past year, people have complained about giving up a 4th to get Carey in the 1st round. The argument was to wait and see if he fell. If he didn't, Wilfork was the man. A 1st Round DT. And now, people are making statements that we could use our 2nd round pick on something better? :hmmm:

So, I guess you want to wait YET another year to finally draft the OTHER YOUNG DT, (Vickerson/Rhodes/etc) being the other, we need to fill the Chester/Bowens rotation on a team TRYING to make the transition to a 3-4 hybrid? Oh, and when you DO draft your DT, it's not as much a priority as it used to be (not worth a 2nd now, but was worth a 1st last year). Especially considering a solid DT rotation is NECESSARY for a 3-4 base.... :smackhead

If the kid has the tools now (as graded by the HC and staff), why wait another year simply for principle's sake?

Traylor is a one year solution, two in a reserved role. Why don't you bring in his replacement NOW to begin grooming him while you HAVE Traylor to ease the pain?

Bowens was cut and the word on Chester is not necessarily a reassuring one. So, if Chester doesn't even make the cut AND we suffer an injury during the year... what then? Want another replay of last year when teams ran it down our throat?

If you have the tools to solve an obvious problem NOW that you HAVE to solve later, do it. Pass on Wright now and you might have to use a #1 if things go terribly south with aging vets, injuries and unfulfilled rehabs this year. Not too mention, you set the WHOLE program back a year because you wanted to be firm and not "give away a pick" this year because "that's what we've always done".

It's not about mortgaging your future. It's about solving a problem with the right solution.

Den54 said:
I say we roll the dice and gamble and offer a 4th rd pick for Wright.

Agree 110%, if someone goes higher let them have him. This guy wasnt a 2nd round talent in the draft a couple months ago, now some teams desperate for youth on the dline are reaching. We have thrown away so many top picks recently I say keep the first day picks. He's not the key to a playoff run, he's a questionable rookie that doesnt sound very smart or hardworking either.

chub said:
Wow if Nick gives up a 2nd alot of fans will be screaming lol. Actually they wont because Saban is getting along leash right now.

Personally Wright is not worth a second and is a far shot being worth a third. People talk about him being a 1st rounder lol, If he is not taken he wont be playing football this year.His stalk will fall immensly.

Wright seems like a project and you dont blow a 2nd rounder on projects.
A third would be ok but I still think that is too much. If he went undrafted next year he would go in the 5th or 6th round. He wont be playing football if he goes undrafted. His stalk will fall.
I was thinking the same thing, about Saban. It also crossed my mind that if he did give up a second round pick, that there would probably be a contingency plan in place, like trading a valuable veteran who is entering the final year of his contract to recoup that second round pick. Not sure who that would be...

We can also tag R-Mac and possibly work a second rounder out of trading him. Not my first choice but, it is an option.

It al depends on how he works out for the team. IF Saban and his coaches are really impressed with the guy... then a second would not be bad if he gives us some stability at the DT position for years to come. Hell Timbo was a first rounder, but he was a staple on that line for 10 years. I'd give up a 2nd for that kind of stability. Now, that is a big IF. However, I have faith in this coaching staff. For the first time since Shula, I have a bit of faith for Saban. At least until he proves me wrong.

PhinDude88 said:
After doing some thinking, i think that we should NOT offer a 2nd rounder and offer a 3rd for Wright.

I hope that we do add Shell to the coaching staff. He was on my top 3 list of HC jobs when we first started looking for a HC.

Well, I suppose that, in a technical sense, he was #2 on the Dolphins' list.

GRYPHONK said:
Well this is Saban and not Spielman.

Thank God. We'd have already pledged a first round pick by now if it were Spielman.

I say do NOT trade away a first day pick for an unproven guy. We can find someone a practice squad somewhere for free who at least knows the ropes

LtDan662002 said:
Actually they project him as a first rounder next year if he was eligible to play again this season. That's probably what has pushed up his stock
Huh?

NathanHunt said:
Is some of the people in this thread the same people whining and complaining about NOT getting Wilfork?

My argument is not about semantics, it's about logic. For the past year, people have complained about giving up a 4th to get Carey in the 1st round. The argument was to wait and see if he fell. If he didn't, Wilfork was the man. A 1st Round DT. And now, people are making statements that we could use our 2nd round pick on something better? :hmmm:

So, I guess you want to wait YET another year to finally draft the OTHER YOUNG DT, (Vickerson/Rhodes/etc) being the other, we need to fill the Chester/Bowens rotation on a team TRYING to make the transition to a 3-4 hybrid? Oh, and when you DO draft your DT, it's not as much a priority as it used to be (not worth a 2nd now, but was worth a 1st last year). Especially considering a solid DT rotation is NECESSARY for a 3-4 base.... :smackhead

If the kid has the tools now (as graded by the HC and staff), why wait another year simply for principle's sake?

Traylor is a one year solution, two in a reserved role. Why don't you bring in his replacement NOW to begin grooming him while you HAVE Traylor to ease the pain?

Bowens was cut and the word on Chester is not necessarily a reassuring one. So, if Chester doesn't even make the cut AND we suffer an injury during the year... what then? Want another replay of last year when teams ran it down our throat?

If you have the tools to solve an obvious problem NOW that you HAVE to solve later, do it. Pass on Wright now and you might have to use a #1 if things go terribly south with aging vets, injuries and unfulfilled rehabs this year. Not too mention, you set the WHOLE program back a year because you wanted to be firm and not "give away a pick" this year because "that's what we've always done".

It's not about mortgaging your future. It's about solving a problem with the right solution.

Philter's random thoughts:

Wouldnt it be great if we got Haloti Ngata from Oregon next year to play DT for us... wow. We would have a pivotal NT where we could rotate a 3-4 and a 4-3 off of. He would be the key piece to our defense. 6'5, 345 Junior.

Man I hope Carey plays LT this year so we can take Ngata in the first..... Im starting the Ngata in the 1st round bandwagon. SHOTGUN PRESIDENT! WOOT!

TouchDown said:
I say do NOT trade away a first day pick for an unproven guy. We can find someone a practice squad somewhere for free who at least knows the ropes

Check out his bio:

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wright_manuel01.html

The only credit I will give him for NOT starting last year was he was a backup to one of the best DT's in the PAC10. He is semi-unproven and I agree, I wouldnt throw down a 2nd rounder. I would offer a 3rd. If someone wants to offer a second, let them overpay and take him. We are going to be kicking ourselves if we throw down a 2nd when next years draft comes along, which is pretty deep at the OT and DT positions.

I believe if he is available when the third round picks comes around then we WILL draft him however this all based on potential.

Philter25 said:
Philter's random thoughts:

Wouldnt it be great if we got Haloti Ngata from Oregon next year to play DT for us... wow. We would have a pivotal NT where we could rotate a 3-4 and a 4-3 off of. He would be the key piece to our defense. 6'5, 345 Junior.

Man I hope Carey plays LT this year so we can take Ngata in the first..... Im starting the Ngata in the 1st round bandwagon. SHOTGUN PRESIDENT! WOOT!

I'm hoping Carey pans out too. But, Ngata has recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL. (fyi)

One of my thoughts was if we use next year's 2nd now to solve our DT problem, IF (and only IF) Wright has the stuff, we could use our #1 next year for other needs (QB maybe?). And the priced gained would be 1 year of valuable training/experience for that eventual DT.

Back
Top Bottom