Wright In Second Round?/We Helped Shell | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wright In Second Round?/We Helped Shell

NathanHunt said:
I'm hoping Carey pans out too. But, Ngata has recently had surgery to repair a torn ACL. (fyi)

One of my thoughts was if we use next year's 2nd now to solve our DT problem, IF (and only IF) Wright has the stuff, we could use our #1 next year for other needs (QB maybe?). And the priced gained would be 1 year of valuable training/experience for that eventual DT.

My biggest beef is we would be using a #2 on a guy who is unproven who didnt even start last year. That alone leaves a lot to be desired and leaves him with a lot of question marks. Even if we draft Wright, I still see us looking at a DT early in the draft next year. Traylor is a 1 year fix, TimBo is pretty much retired, Chester is having problems and MIGHT have one year left in him, Carter would be an ideal 3-4 DE, Holliday is also on a 1-year fix, and Zgonina is like 50 and undersized. We need 2 DTs for next year to groom so even if we take Wright, we should still be looking at another DT.

We might even continue with the Dolphins latest tradition of having guys with the same last name play the DLine (TimBowens and DBowens) if we take Manuel Wright this year and possible Rod Wright next year (assuming he has another great year in college)

Philter25 said:
My biggest beef is we would be using a #2 on a guy who is unproven who didnt even start last year. That alone leaves a lot to be desired and leaves him with a lot of question marks. Even if we draft Wright, I still see us looking at a DT early in the draft next year. Traylor is a 1 year fix, TimBo is pretty much retired, Chester is having problems and MIGHT have one year left in him, Carter would be an ideal 3-4 DE, Holliday is also on a 1-year fix, and Zgonina is like 50 and undersized. We need 2 DTs for next year to groom so even if we take Wright, we should still be looking at another DT.

We might even continue with the Dolphins latest tradition of having guys with the same last name play the DLine (TimBowens and DBowens) if we take Manuel Wright this year and possible Rod Wright next year (assuming he has another great year in college)

I understand your concerns completely. I've also felt we need 2 additional YOUNG DT's to solve our long term delima. With Rhodes and Vickerson as projects, we still need 2 more guys to help gaurantee we can find at least 2, possibly 3 DTs from that group for the long haul. We have a lot of vets at that position and, for one reason or another, none appear to be in the picture for more than 2 years. Next year, we could be looking at a major vet purge at that position.

I just want to point out that my whole viewpoint was based on IF Wright shows talent and athleticism we WANT in a DT. Only THEN would I be ok with using a 2nd.

If they look at him at still consider him "rough" and needing "polishing", then I would be ok with a 3rd or later. Only 2nd IF he's a "potential" starter/rotator in the next year (including the 2005 year).

THEN it would be worth the heftier price of a 2nd simply to get him "earlier" and help accelerate our rebuilding.

And yes, if there, I see us spending a 1st on a DT next year. And a total of 2 picks of next year's picks will be used on DT (at least how it stands right now).

Manuel Wright could be a monster at DT, he is big and athletic. if we get him with a 3rd rounder then I'd be excited but nothing higher then a 3rd

nick1 said:
Manuel Wright could be a monster at DT, he is big and athletic. if we get him with a 3rd rounder then I'd be excited but nothing higher then a 3rd

You can say that about all of our draft picks. (Insert name here) could be a monster at (insert position here), he is big and athletic.

Matter of fact, you can say that about a ton of players in college. The fact of the matter remains he is an unproven quantity. How many games did he start in his college career?

Philter25 said:
You can say that about all of our draft picks. (Insert name here) could be a monster at (insert position here), he is big and athletic.

Matter of fact, you can say that about a ton of players in college. The fact of the matter remains he is an unproven quantity. How many games did he start in his college career?

Separate question:

This is not a "rookie" pool cap question, but similar. What scale do we pay him on? According the round he's drafted using the current year's salary structure?

ckparrothead said:
I would pass on Wright in the 2nd round. I think I may even pass on him in the 4th round. I'd spend a 6th rounder on Roscoe Crosby.
Amen brotha exactly what i was saying

NathanHunt said:
Separate question:

This is not a "rookie" pool cap question, but similar. What scale do we pay him on? According the round he's drafted using the current year's salary structure?

I would need Merman or Clumpy to verify this, but that would be my guess also.

Technically, since we are using a 2006 draft pick on him, his payscale should be the same as the 2006 draft picks.....

The only thing thats in question would be his signing bonus, if he gets one. Either way, his salary should only count 300kish against the cap.

Philter25 said:
I would need Merman or Clumpy to verify this, but that would be my guess also.

Technically, since we are using a 2006 draft pick on him, his payscale should be the same as the 2006 draft picks.....

The only thing thats in question would be his signing bonus, if he gets one. Either way, his salary should only count 300kish against the cap.

I assume his salary would affect next year's rookie cap and not this year's, while his salary would impact this year's team cap. ??

NathanHunt said:
I assume his salary would affect next year's rookie cap and not this year's, while his salary would impact this year's team cap. ??

I would think so also...... but again I would need a Clump or Merman verification.

I'm starting to think that Manny Wright with a second wouldn't be too bad.

He's got great potential and has the size and speed to be a genuine factor for us.

The team that picks Wright will get extra money added to their 2005 rookie pool for the purposes of signing him. Nevertheless, the team will be required to fit all 2005 draft picks -- and all other players -- under the current cap year.

nick1 said:

I never saw Wright play so I'll take everyone's word that this guy is a monster athelete...but he's still only played a handful of games during his college career. Is this guy still worth a third round pick? Think of the extra coaching he'll need, not to mention the fact that his intangibles such as competitive attitude, play under pressure, etc. haven't been so clearly assessed because of his limited playing time. Lots of highly touted high school atheletes don't do well in college, not to mention the NFL. Brock Berlin is one example. Therefore, I think that someone like this shouldn't warrant more than a fourth rounder. I could be totally wrong but IMO.

Philter25 said:

Cody and Patterson both went high in the draft... that is why he didnt start - he was playing behind a first rounder (Patterson) and a team captain (Cody).

Megatron said:
We need a DT pronto.
Yes we do, but I do not want to overpay... That kind of thought is why Spielman traded a 3rd for a RB... and a 2nd for a QB... Thinking we NEED one NOW. I hope we get him. I really do, but the question is at what price?

Back
Top Bottom