Xavier Rhodes at 12? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavier Rhodes at 12?

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So Gil Brandt (someone I have a lot of time for) has mocked Xavier Rhodes to the Dolphins at 12. I don't know an awful lot about him expect that he was great at both the senior bowl and the combine.

What do you guys think of him? Can he be the leading CB for us? Is he a massive reach at 12?

In my mocks ive always went CB round 1, I wanted Banks...... but apparently that looks unlikely now. So with Milliner long gone Rhodes suddenly seems the next corner up :idk:

Watching his highlight i think 12 would be a major reach for him.I'm no expert but his change of direction looks slow and I would really question his top end speed! Their were several times in his highlights were his opponents starting to run past him.

He reminds me too much of Sean Smith...NO THANK YOU!

I think the only CB worth taking at 12 is Dee Milliner, maybe the best thing to do would be to trade down and pick up another second round pick if we can. It sounds like there's going to be a lot of good players available in the second and third rounds who are almost as good as the first round guys in this draft.

X. Rhodes might not be there at 12.

For my money, he's the best cover corner in the draft. Not as complete as Milliner.

If they draft a CB at 12, Trufant would be the guy. I watched Rhodes at the Combine and was uncomfortable with the thought of Miami taking him. He looked a little awkward in his movement and reminded somewhat of Sean Smith. Not a big fan of these tall corners and Rhodes is one I would definitely pass on.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

X. Rhodes might not be there at 12.

For my money, he's the best cover corner in the draft. Not as complete as Milliner.
I am really surprised to hear you say that. What stands out about Rhodes that you like?

Well, he's a big, explosive CB. And he plays with great balance. He didn't have the quickest feet at the combine, but he did a nice job of staying low. He does a great job of using his body to box-out (legally) receivers. Also, he has a big recovery zone - thanks to his speed (4.41) and leaping ability (40.5" vert, 11' broad).

He sucks at tackling, and he obviously hates tacking. But he's a great cover corner.

A lot of people were surprised by Milliner's 40 time. Didn't think he was an especially fast guy. Not saying they're right or wrong, but there were those people. I don't think anyone was surprised that Rhodes ran a 4.41 or put up any of the explosive numbers that he did. In the way he moves and covers, he reminds me of Pat Surtain - if he were bigger and more explosive, and I am a huge Surtain fan.

I think the best thing to do is get a Pash Rusher at 12. The 3 needs are DE,WR,CB. I think Milner is the only CB worth taking at 12 and Their are no WR's I'd take in the top 20.

I wouldn't be totally mad taking Rhoades or Trufant at 12 (as I would Patterson), but chances are a guy like Anash or Mingo will be there and I think thats the best bang for your buck and it also fills a need and helps a D getting up their a little in age get younger.

For what it's worth, Bleacher Report also mocked Rhodes to Miami in it's recent mock. I could see that and he seems to fit the mold of the bigger, physical corner that Ireland likes. That same mock had Trufant going #13. I really think he's in play as well. I think Trufant is the better of the two with the ball in the air. Opinions?

Well, he's a big, explosive CB. And he plays with great balance. He didn't have the quickest feet at the combine, but he did a nice job of staying low. He does a great job of using his body to box-out (legally) receivers. Also, he has a big recovery zone - thanks to his speed (4.41) and leaping ability (40.5" vert, 11' broad).

He sucks at tackling, and he obviously hates tacking. But he's a great cover corner.

A lot of people were surprised by Milliner's 40 time. Didn't think he was an especially fast guy. Not saying they're right or wrong, but there were those people. I don't think anyone was surprised that Rhodes ran a 4.41 or put up any of the explosive numbers that he did. In the way he moves and covers, he reminds me of Pat Surtain - if he were bigger and more explosive, and I am a huge Surtain fan.

[h=4]WEAKNESSES[/h]
Coming off of a knee injury in 2011. Very inconsistent on runs to the empty side, loses contain, does not react quickly enough. Misses tackles when lunging at ball carriers and when leaving his feet. Hands are by his waist at the snap instead of higher to punch more quickly. Can be disinterested when play goes to different receiver he is not responsible for in man coverage, closing speed lacks urgency. Does not have experience inside as a slot corner in nickel. Performance takes a step back in zone coverage, struggles to pass off and close on receivers entering or leaving his area. Looks sluggish or tight hipped when not asked to mirror movements. Not a blitzer when path is impeded.

Do we really want another CB that can't tackle?

Saw him play for 3 years @ fsu. If he's their guy i wouldn't be upset, but i think they should trade down and draft him if that's the case.

I have come to the conclusion that we can get a CB or two in round two and three or even later for the second guy. Poyer is prime time to me and is as good as anyone.

So I dont see why Eifert is a reach at 12 if people think Patterson is not or Rhodes or anyone else for that matter. There are only Lane Johnson and Ansah and maybe Werner at 12 is no brainer but if they are gone just take Eifert. Then get WR and CB. This draft is the best draft to have many picks in.

The conclusion I have come to as I work through this #MockTwo thing is that there are corners you can roll the dice on at every level of the Draft. And some that will be taken on the 3rd day could turn out to be the very best corners in the whole Draft.

Anybody that is like Surtain i'm defintley for.

Back
Top Bottom