Xavier Rhodes at 12? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavier Rhodes at 12?

The conclusion I have come to as I work through this #MockTwo thing is that there are corners you can roll the dice on at every level of the Draft. And some that will be taken on the 3rd day could turn out to be the very best corners in the whole Draft.
You sure? I only see 2-3 corners MAYBE. Leon McFadden for sure, Robert Alford, and Bildi Wreh-Wilson.

You sure? I only see 2-3 corners MAYBE. Leon McFadden for sure, Robert Alford, and Bildi Wreh-Wilson.

Terry Hawthorne (CBSSports has a 5th round grade) is the one that comes to my mind. I was actually surprised to see CBSSports give him such a low grade , I was thinking he was a 3rd-4th round selection. If I remember correctly, he did well in the East-West Shrine game with an interceptions/ fumble recovery, so I'm not sure if he's just getting pushed down because others are moving up or what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry Hawthorne (CBSSports has a 5th round grade) is the one that comes to my mind. I was actually surprised to see CBSSports give him such a low grade , I was thinking he was a 3rd-4th round selection. If I remember correctly, he did well in the East-West Shrine game with an interceptions/ fumble recovery, so I'm not sure if he's just getting pushed down because others are moving up or what.
You think he's going to be one of the very best corners in the draft? He's getting pushed down because other players are moving up.

You think he's going to be one of the very best corners in the draft? He's getting pushed down because other players are moving up.

There were some that were talking about him as a 2nd round pick in the middle of the year. At best that would put him at top 5 in this class. I don't think he'll be Revis or anything, but I could see him doing well. My feelings about players are subject to change as I watch more games/ evaluate more stats, so we'll see. I'm really just getting around to the corner class now and I don't like to make any hard judgments without having done some serious work on each player.

I like Terry Hawthorne a lot.

But there's a corner currently rated in the lower edges that could be one of the three best corners in this class.

I like Terry Hawthorne a lot.

But there's a corner currently rated in the lower edges that could be one of the three best corners in this class.

And who, pray tell would that be? (I'm not particularly acquainted with the lower rated CBs in this draft yet)

On an unrelated note, Xavier Rhodes would be nice and all, but I'm going for Xavier Grimble in two years. As a name, "Xavier Grimble" is first round talent right there. Maybe not a top 5 selection like "Barkevious Mingo" but definitely up there on the big board of names. Can't deny the combination of an X name with Grimble, which could be either an alien or an adjective describing an old man. (this sort of mental deterioration occurs from watching Tyler Bray play football too often)

Reminds of me Cromartie physically but a better tackler and I would assume a better football IQ.

Well, he's a big, explosive CB. And he plays with great balance. He didn't have the quickest feet at the combine, but he did a nice job of staying low. He does a great job of using his body to box-out (legally) receivers. Also, he has a big recovery zone - thanks to his speed (4.41) and leaping ability (40.5" vert, 11' broad).

He sucks at tackling, and he obviously hates tacking. But he's a great cover corner.

A lot of people were surprised by Milliner's 40 time. Didn't think he was an especially fast guy. Not saying they're right or wrong, but there were those people. I don't think anyone was surprised that Rhodes ran a 4.41 or put up any of the explosive numbers that he did. In the way he moves and covers, he reminds me of Pat Surtain - if he were bigger and more explosive, and I am a huge Surtain fan.

who does that remind you of...similar big bodied corner...with terrific tools for his size but not terrific tools for the position...hmmm...tools are better than sean smiths but i don't know how this doesn't scare any miami dolphins fan and frankly...unless this kid has elite ball skills and awareness and i don't see that with rhodes...

if you're not gonna be a willing run defender and tackler on the boundary which to me seems like a requirement in coyles system you damn well better be a cover guy like revis or deion to warrant such a high pick...and i don't see that in the cards frankly...maybe if he was more physical and used his size and length more...but i swear this sounds an awful lot like what many of us have been saying bout sean smith for years now...

i do however see some similarities with patrick surtain who you mentioned...although this kids much bigger

Well, he's a big, explosive CB. And he plays with great balance. He didn't have the quickest feet at the combine, but he did a nice job of staying low. He does a great job of using his body to box-out (legally) receivers. Also, he has a big recovery zone - thanks to his speed (4.41) and leaping ability (40.5" vert, 11' broad).

He sucks at tackling, and he obviously hates tacking. But he's a great cover corner.

A lot of people were surprised by Milliner's 40 time. Didn't think he was an especially fast guy. Not saying they're right or wrong, but there were those people. I don't think anyone was surprised that Rhodes ran a 4.41 or put up any of the explosive numbers that he did. In the way he moves and covers, he reminds me of Pat Surtain - if he were bigger and more explosive, and I am a huge Surtain fan.
Where are people getting this from? I've watched a couple of FSU games (Miami fan, don't judge me) and Rhodes always seemed to tackle well. Maybe a missed tackle here and there but solid tackling nonetheless.

CBS player profile, 'Rhodes does a nice job defeating blocks to be a factor against the run and is a punishing striker, making the decleating hit if it's there'.

I like him. He fits everything Coyle looks for. He is aggressive attacking the ball and at the line of scrimmage.

I would love to take him at #12, trade up into bottom of 1st round for Robert Woods and hopefully take Kyle Long in 2nd.

I want to draft players who fit what the coaches are looking for.

Where are people getting this from? I've watched a couple of FSU games (Miami fan, don't judge me) and Rhodes always seemed to tackle well. Maybe a missed tackle here and there but solid tackling nonetheless.

I don't know, man. Often, he doesn't even put himself in position to make a tackle, and it looks to be almost on purpose. More than once, a ball carrier would outrun his lead blocker, and Rhodes would do this sideways dive thing between the the two. To me, he looks like a guy who doesn't like to tackle. Again, I like him a lot, but I see a very poor tackler.

who does that remind you of...similar big bodied corner...with terrific tools for his size but not terrific tools for the position...hmmm...tools are better than sean smiths but i don't know how this doesn't scare any miami dolphins fan and frankly...unless this kid has elite ball skills and awareness and i don't see that with rhodes...

if you're not gonna be a willing run defender and tackler on the boundary which to me seems like a requirement in coyles system you damn well better be a cover guy like revis or deion to warrant such a high pick...and i don't see that in the cards frankly...maybe if he was more physical and used his size and length more...but i swear this sounds an awful lot like what many of us have been saying bout sean smith for years now...

i do however see some similarities with patrick surtain who you mentioned...although this kids much bigger

Yeah, but comparing Smith and Rhodes is like comparing Stephen Hill to Calvin Johnson as prospects. Big, fast, raw/unproven route runner. The devil is in the details. He could be a little more physical when he presses, but to my eyes, he's the best cover corner in the draft. I'm usually not too high on big CB's either. Last year, one of my favorite players in the whole draft was J. Jenkins. Not very similar to Rhodes. Toward the end of his career with the Bulls, Michael Jordan lost a lot of quickness, but he maintained a tremendous defensive stance - very low, always on balance. He remained one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Once he got to Washington, he lost too much quickness, but that's another story. Rhodes does a great job of staying low, staying on balance, so even if a guy gets a half-step, he's able to use his balance an athleticism to make up the difference. Also, for a guy his size, he does really well in off-coverage. I've read some scouting reports that claim his play suffers a good deal when he goes to off, and while I think there's a nugget of truth to that, the implications (that he isn't good in off-coverage) are false.

I don't know, man. Often, he doesn't even put himself in position to make a tackle, and it looks to be almost on purpose. More than once, a ball carrier would outrun his lead blocker, and Rhodes would do this sideways dive thing between the the two. To me, he looks like a guy who doesn't like to tackle. Again, I like him a lot, but I see a very poor tackler.

rhodes makes as deion sanders coined "business decisions"

rhodes makes as deion sanders coined "business decisions"

Haha, yes he does. Maybe that's one of those things where he knows he's leaving FSU early and "Q. Coples" it. Anyway, it's not enough to keep me from liking him as one of the best options at 12 (assuming he lasts that long).

Back
Top Bottom