Yanks in Burnett hunt... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks in Burnett hunt...

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
according to ESPNInsider. Yanks send Pavno back to Fla in a potential deal.

Not sure if NY ends up with Lowell or not though.

Looks like B'more is out they don't want Lowell or want to pay part of his salary for him to play somewhere else (ie.. pitt)

They also said Fla is coming off their high demands now since nobody is biting.

I dont' understand how Fla can pay Pavano (if they trade for him) but not AJ.

This might just be a wild ESPNInsider rumor who knows.

I've heard that, too...Pavano and Felix Rodriguez for A.J. and Lowell. Florida is looking for young, cheap guys. I think that if they'd trade for a pitcher with $30 million remaining on his contract, wouldn't they rather spend that on A.J., who is clearly the better pitcher?

So bascially it's a swap of overrated pitchers, I don't see that trade helping either team. (Unless the Yankees can get someone to take Pavano's contract off their books, but there's no way the Marlins do that.)

Although it would be sad to see Pavano leave NY, we'll all miss the brutal 3 years he would have left trying to pitch to the Red Sox lineup.

RWhitney014 said:
I've heard that, too...Pavano and Felix Rodriguez for A.J. and Lowell. Florida is looking for young, cheap guys. I think that if they'd trade for a pitcher with $30 million remaining on his contract, wouldn't they rather spend that on A.J., who is clearly the better pitcher?

AJ clearly better? LOL, yeah he is also clearly more of a health risk as well. I see it as swap of even pitchers to be honest. And in all honesty I would rather have Pavano I think he has more potential and it usually takes a guys a year or so to adjust to playing in NY (Giambi, Tino, A-Rod,...etc).

I wouldn't give up on Pavano. He has a better build, has had no major arm injuries. And I wouldn't give up on him for AJ Burnett.

MikeO said:
according to ESPNInsider. Yanks send Pavno back to Fla in a potential deal.

Not sure if NY ends up with Lowell or not though.

Looks like B'more is out they don't want Lowell or want to pay part of his salary for him to play somewhere else (ie.. pitt)

They also said Fla is coming off their high demands now since nobody is biting.

I dont' understand how Fla can pay Pavano (if they trade for him) but not AJ.

This might just be a wild ESPNInsider rumor who knows.

The Yankees, Im assuming, would pay a large part of Pavanos contract as part of the deal

DonShula84 said:
The Yankees, Im assuming, would pay a large part of Pavanos contract as part of the deal

That's why this rumor makes no sense.

MikeO said:
AJ clearly better? LOL, yeah he is also clearly more of a health risk as well. I see it as swap of even pitchers to be honest. And in all honesty I would rather have Pavano I think he has more potential and it usually takes a guys a year or so to adjust to playing in NY (Giambi, Tino, A-Rod,...etc).

I wouldn't give up on Pavano. He has a better build, has had no major arm injuries. And I wouldn't give up on him for AJ Burnett.

You say that as Pavano is on the DL with shoulder problems...

Look, I love Pavano, he did well for us. But Burnett has much better stuff and therefore has more potential. I'm telling you, if he throws his changeup, he'll be great. But he's usually too stubborn to throw it.

Either way, Pavano has a no-trade clause. If he didn't want to be a Yankee, he wouldn't have signed there. So he's not going anywhere. And Rodriguez is no good, especially with his injury history.

RWhitney014 said:

Look, I love Pavano, he did well for us. But Burnett has much better stuff and therefore has more potential. I'm telling you, if he throws his changeup, he'll be great. But he's usually too stubborn to throw it.

Either way, Pavano has a no-trade clause. If he didn't want to be a Yankee, he wouldn't have signed there. So he's not going anywhere. And Rodriguez is no good, especially with his injury history.

Damn... :0wned: again.

RWhitney014 said:

Pavano hasn't had major arm surgery where he missed a year and a half!!!! 15 days on the DL and a year and a half......big difference.

And if AJ is too stupid to throw a change up that works, then how is he better?

Guy who miss a year and a half because of arm surgery doesn't mean that they are health risks. In fact for people like John Lieber (remember him?) and Billy Wagner the surgery actually helped them. Burnett, like I said in the post that he was in a deal for the Red Sox, has the reputation of being a health risk when in fact aside from that surgery he really has never been hurt. If you want to talk about health risk let's talk about Josh Beckett. Burnett has thrown 3 complete games this year and has thrown a ton of pitches which clear shows he's not showing any signs of wearing down.

MikeO said:
Pavano hasn't had major arm surgery where he missed a year and a half!!!! 15 days on the DL and a year and a half......big difference.

And if AJ is too stupid to throw a change up that works, then how is he better?

Because it's pretty easy, if someone convinces him to throw the changeup like he did against Tampa Bay in July, he'll win. He threw a CG shutout against them back on June 26th, by far his best game of the season. He threw 44 changeups in that game in 123 pitches. He had a rough ninth inning but managed to get out of it giving up no runs, and afterwards he said that he'd have to be a complete moron to not learn something from that game. He's had 4 starts since then and I've really only seen him use his changeup a lot once. That was Tuesday, and that was his first quality start and first win since.

Now that we have Pavano I don't want the Yankees to give up on him. Even though I've always liked Burnett better because he has stuff not many pitchers are born with, we invested in Pavano so I think we should see what he gots and not give up on him so fast like we did Vazquez. Plus the Yankees need all the bullpen help they can get and with what they have in there now, Felix is our 4th best option. With A-Rod at third for at the minimum of 5 more years, what would we do with Lowell? This trade just doesn't make sense at all IMO!

You know, it's funny. Every time Burnett used his changeup today, the Giants couldn't hit it. And he STILL won't throw the damn pitch.

I'm sorry, but this rumor just doesn't make sense any way you slice it. The only way it makes sense for the Marlins is if the Yankees are willing to take Lowell's contract, which they probably aren't, since we now know there's a limit to their spending. Irrespective of whether Pavano or Burnett is the better pitcher, Pavano just took a contract from the Yankees that the Marlins couldn't (or wouldn't) afford.

The only way this trade goes down is if the Yankees have a team waiting for them to get Lowell and then them dealing him shortly after trading for him!

Back
Top Bottom