Yanks in Burnett hunt... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Yanks in Burnett hunt...

It's not happening, guys. The Marlins are going to hold on to Lowell unless they get someone of equal value for him. He's getting hot now. And like I said in the article, it's looking more and more like they're just going to keep A.J., make a run, and get some draft picks. How they perform in the next 5 games will dictate that...if they go 4-1, he's a Marlin.

I think A.J. is gone no matter what because of his contract situation (The Marlins don't want to lose him over nothing). I just think the Marlins are waiting ti'll the last minute and are waiting for a team to panic out of desperation before the deadline and over pay for Burnett. The Marlins have the best young pitcher with good stuff on the market before the deadline. The ball is in their court!

Yes, the ball is in our court, but when you consider that trading Burnett will lower the attendance by about 3,000 people per game, the team has to think about keeping him and making a run. The NL East is wide open.

I understand your point of view but I think their going to dump him for something in return rather then lose him in free agency for nothing. Their not going to re-sign him so the smart thing to do is get some young talent from another team and let Burnett go!

By the way, I agree the division is wide open and if I was the Marlins I would keep Burnett. I just think he's gone because of his upcoming free agency!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I understand your point of view but I think their going to dump him for something in return rather then lose him in free agency for nothing. Their not going to re-sign him so the smart thing to do is get some young talent from another team and let Burnett go!

By the way, I agree the division is wide open and if I was the Marlins I would keep Burnett. I just think he's gone because of his upcoming free agency!

You're speaking to the choir, my man. I think we should trade him if we get a good offer, but at the same time I know this market and I know we have to win.

And believe me, I want to win. Badly.

I think the whole "we'll lose him for nothing" talk is overrated. The Marlins would get a first round pick as compensation for losing Burnett. That should amount to a really good prospect.

Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't trade him, just that it's not the end of the world if they don't.

phunwin said:
I think the whole "we'll lose him for nothing" talk is overrated. The Marlins would get a first round pick as compensation for losing Burnett. That should amount to a really good prospect.

Now, I'm not saying that they shouldn't trade him, just that it's not the end of the world if they don't.

Actually, we'd get two. He's a type A free agent. We get the signing team's 1st rounder and a 1st round sandwich pick. Which is why I wouldn't be too mad if we don't trade him. In fact, I'll be happy, but not because we get the picks. I'll be happy because it means we're going for it, and I can't ask for anything more from my team.

RWhitney014 said:
Actually, we'd get two. He's a type A free agent. We get the signing team's 1st rounder and a 1st round sandwich pick. Which is why I wouldn't be too mad if we don't trade him. In fact, I'll be happy, but not because we get the picks. I'll be happy because it means we're going for it, and I can't ask for anything more from my team.

You're right, my mistake. So basically, they'd get two top prospects by just letting him walk.

Well, you never know in the baseball draft, but two chances at pretty good prospects. I'd love to add Damaso Marte to our pen and I do think Brandon McCarthy will be a very good pitcher in the future. However, for this particular year, A.J. Burnett helps the Florida Marlins compete. The second we trade him, we are looking for someone to replace him. That's when you know it's a bad trade.

EDIT: And your hope, if you're the Marlins and you don't trade him, is that a Craig Hansen-type player falls down to that sandwich pick. In that case, you don't mind overpaying a guy a little bit if he's MLB-ready. I'm not that much into college baseball to know who could be coming out, but a Huston Street or Ryan Wagner that can come almost straight to the big club would be a great asset to have.

Burnett shouldnt go, they are offering crappy thing for him. The yankees arent after him much anymore but they are after Encarnacion.

RWhitney014 said:
Well, you never know in the baseball draft, but two chances at pretty good prospects. I'd love to add Damaso Marte to our pen and I do think Brandon McCarthy will be a very good pitcher in the future. However, for this particular year, A.J. Burnett helps the Florida Marlins compete. The second we trade him, we are looking for someone to replace him. That's when you know it's a bad trade.

EDIT: And your hope, if you're the Marlins and you don't trade him, is that a Craig Hansen-type player falls down to that sandwich pick. In that case, you don't mind overpaying a guy a little bit if he's MLB-ready. I'm not that much into college baseball to know who could be coming out, but a Huston Street or Ryan Wagner that can come almost straight to the big club would be a great asset to have.

Eyes off him please. ;)

Seriously, AJ should just stay with the Marlins. That's the club he fits best with. He's not going to put the Red Sox, Yankees or even White Sox over the top. And he's not worth those teams top prospects. (Well maybe the Yankees. :lol: ) It just doesn't make sense for the Marlins to trade him when they are right there in the NL East with arguably the most talented roster in the division. (In my opinion, they do, without question have the most talent.)

FaninPatsyLand said:
Eyes off him please. ;)

Seriously, AJ should just stay with the Marlins. That's the club he fits best with. He's not going to put the Red Sox, Yankees or even White Sox over the top. And he's not worth those teams top prospects. (Well maybe the Yankees. :lol: ) It just doesn't make sense for the Marlins to trade him when they are right there in the NL East with arguably the most talented roster in the division. (In my opinion, they do, without question have the most talent.)

My eyes are squarely off him. We had 3 first-round picks before Hansen was taken. We could have taken him at any point, but we didn't. That's enough for me.

Like I've said, A.J. Burnett can help the Marlins more than he can help any other team.

Hey, FiPL, congrats on your 1000th post!

RWhitney014 said:
My eyes are squarely off him. We had 3 first-round picks before Hansen was taken. We could have taken him at any point, but we didn't. That's enough for me.

Like I've said, A.J. Burnett can help the Marlins more than he can help any other team.

Hey, FiPL, congrats on your 1000th post!

Somehow I don't believe the Marlins would have passed on him 3 times if Scott Boras isn't the agent. I mean give me a break, there was talk of him going number 1 overall in the draft. It was an unbelievable pick by the Red Sox to snag him where they did.

And thanks for the congrats, this site is unbelievable. I was just listening to FSN New England, and the talk was on Ricky's return. And like the usual Patriot homers, they don't say anything positive about this team. All the talk was how he was "Fat" and "Useless". I can't wait till we beat them down again in Miami. I don't know what I'd do for Dolphins talk and sports talk in general without this site.

An update on the Burnett trade talks. Listening to WEEI on my drive home from work, apparently the Red Sox like AJ alot more than I do personally. One Red Sox official was quoted as saying "there's a 25% chance that he will be one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball." Seeing as how that quote sounded extremely familiar, I got home and went on ESPN, and sure enough that EXACT quote was in one of Gammons Insider articles that I read previous.

I still don't like Burnett, but to be honest, with all the conflicting reports flying around I don't know what to expect by the time Monday rolls around. If the Red Sox really are that high on the kid, they definitely have the talent in the minors to bring him in. I just hope Theo doesn't do anything stupid when our future is on the line.

I'll tell you what, FiPL. If the Fish go 5-0, 4-1, or 3-2 in the next three games and are within 4 of the WC, Burnett's not going anywhere. Anything else, and his Sox will be white. Bank on it.

Back
Top Bottom