Your Division Alignments | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your Division Alignments

Yeah... never really made sense geographically.... probably has more to do with big market television deals
Why were the Dolphins put in that division when they first entered the league.Im sure other franchises we're not happy with that.so why wouldn't teams with higher clout not try to get into the leagues commissioner ear and convince him that changes are needed.

I think today the NFL is hoping everyone is primarily a TV viewer, so they can identify with multiple teams. With that in mind, all of the Florida teams are in different divisions and in deference to the OG Dolphins, we're the only one in the AFC. I'm fine with that. The NFL wants people to follow multiple teams, and I also kinda follow the Raiders, so it's worked with me. I also really enjoy NFL Red Zone, so I've grown to appreciate a lot of different teams in addition to the Dolphins. I'm interested in these division races more than just how they impact Miami. But, like you, I'd rather the geographic divisions were more closely aligned. But I'm sure Steven Ross wouldn't. The value of the Miami Dolphins is definitely effected by being in the same market as NYC and Boston (and all of New England). He's not willing to give that up.
The NFL has gotten better about their distribution rights. 10 years ago you needed certain providers to acquire Sunday ticket and red zone. The directv exclusive still applies which is frustrating for Sunday Ticket. I have the student version which is not only cheaper but available on any of my devices. I wonder if the future will include team specific packages for out of market viewers?

The strongest vote against moving us out of this division is certain to come form Steven Ross. The NYC and Boston markets are stronger than any of the southern markets, and he's not devaluing his asset by that much. In fact, I'm pretty sure any realignment talk begins with teams like Miami insisting on staying with the NYC and Boston markets, and the Cowboys staying in the NYC, DC and Philly markets. For these billionaires, it's hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, so they're going to fight to be in divisions with big markets.

This makes the most sense as to why they won’t change it. Follow the money.

The NFL has gotten better about their distribution rights. 10 years ago you needed certain providers to acquire Sunday ticket and red zone. The directv exclusive still applies which is frustrating for Sunday Ticket. I have the student version which is not only cheaper but available on any of my devices. I wonder if the future will include team specific packages for out of market viewers?
Yep, they're getting too much money from that exclusivity arrangement from DirecTV to do anything else. Without Sunday Ticket, DirecTV would go bankrupt. But eventually I'm sure the NFL will be streamable. Just not yet.

This makes the most sense as to why they won’t change it. Follow the money.
If you use that to guide you, you will be right almost every time as far as the NFL is concerned!

Yep, they're getting too much money from that exclusivity arrangement from DirecTV to do anything else. Without Sunday Ticket, DirecTV would go bankrupt. But eventually I'm sure the NFL will be streamable. Just not yet.

With ATT acquiring the company, DirectTv will only fold because of their now terrible CUSTOMER Service.

Nobody complained about us being so far removed geographically from the rest of the AFC East when we were going to the playoffs every year.

I did. I don't care that the Patriots are in our division, their run is almost over anyhow. But it would be nice if local fans had a more realistic opportunity to attend away games.

Like someone else said, nobody cared when this team was consistently winning.

Just like we are at a disadvantage in December, we have an advantage in September at home.

It is just fashionable to complain because our team has been the definition of being an afterthought since Marino retired . . .and we are looking for reasons other than the obvious one of we just haven’t been good enough.

Dallas is in a similar spot.
In principal you're right cuz the difference is nominal.. but technically the flight time from Miami or Ft Lauderdale to NY is exactly 3.0 hours while the flight time from Dallas to DC is 2hrs 50 mins :)

This has been covered in another thread I think but I’m all for eliminating divisions all together.

Lol if Miami was dominating the division like New England has been no one would be thinking about realignment.

Back
Top Bottom