Your favorite 1st round Pick besides Marino? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your favorite 1st round Pick besides Marino?

allsilverdreams

Starter
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Been a fan of the Dolphins for over 30 years .I have seen some great picks and some busts.
Who was your favorite 1st round pick by the Dolphins not including Marino.
Mine is Parker.Im glad he had his breakout season last year.

I remember being ecstatic when Miami moved back into the first round of the 1989 draft to select Louis Oliver with the 25th pick after already taking Sammie Smith with the 9th pick in the first round. I was elated when Troy Vincent fell to the Miami's pick (7th) in the 1992 draft.

Sammie Smith. I remember drooling over Smith watching him play at Florida State. I thought he'd be the answer to Miami's problem at RB. But Noooooooo, he turned out to be a colossal bust. He had some good moments, but he never lived up to what I hoped he'd be. I went absolutely bonkers when Miami drafted him. Boy, was I disappointed.

Larry Csonka. Only because Minka Fitzpatrick is no longer with the team. Pouncey and Tunsil were great picks, and showed that Miami was capable of drafting well when it came to the O-Line. I'm hoping last year wasn't just a fluke with Devante Parker. If he can post a couple 1000 yards/12 TD seasons, I would move him up behind Marino.

I will only use the ones that happened when I was alive to know.
First, at the moment, and I know some will disagree with this, but Jake Long. I thought we needed a line first and foremost and I never thought Matt Ryan would be a top third QB in the league.
At the moment, most disappointing (even though you didn't ask), was Ted Ginn
In hindsight, maybe Tim Bowens or Darryl Gardner. I loved watching the two of them on the line. If Zach Thomas ever gets into the Hall of Fame, he better thank them. They held the opposing O-line and allowed him to roam free.
In hindsight, the most disappointing has to be Dion Jordan. Traded up to #3 overall and he did nothing.

Larry Csonka. Only because Minka Fitzpatrick is no longer with the team. Pouncey and Tunsil were great picks, and showed that Miami was capable of drafting well when it came to the O-Line. I'm hoping last year wasn't just a fluke with Devante Parker. If he can post a couple 1000 yards/12 TD seasons, I would move him up behind Marino.
80% of Parker's career so far is garbage. Gotta see a lot more before he even enters any consideration. Rooting for him though.

My favorite draft pick was Zach Thomas. Like the pick during the draft. When he started balling in training camp i
really really like the pick. Then after watching real games I loved the pick!

I do wish all 5th rounders were this good!

Sammie Smith - I loved his game at FSU and knew he'd play well in the pros. Miami had missed the playoffs for three straight years and everybody thought Smith was the missing piece. Shula finally had his quality RB to compliment Marino. Then Sammie posts 3.3, 3.7, 3.6 ypc in his three seasons here. A big disappointment to say the least.

Last edited:
Loved the Ronnie brown pick. I know he never lived up to the 2nd overall pick, but this was the time in my life when I really started to pay attention to the offseason. I remember all the mocks had him coming to us and I always thought he was solid. Great all around skill set for the position.

Ronnie Brown for sure was my favorite. Everybody loved Ronnie. The R&R Express was a good time. Vernon Carey gets honorable mention from me. Loved that dude. Don't care at all the Wilfork and Steven Jackson were on the board. I'm not sorry :p

Back
Top Bottom