Zach Thomas and his Tackles. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas and his Tackles.

tay0365 said:
Well, tackles are really not that important, right nyjunc? ;)

I didn't say they weren't important I said they can be misleading, I don't think Vilma is the best LB just b/c he is leading in tackles. he has not had as good a year so far as he did last year.

It's ok if you undervalue Zach...

I don't undervalue Zach, dolphin fans overvalue him. he's a real good player but you guys act like he's a HOFer which he clearly is not.

fitskin said:
Zach has 56 totals tackles after 4 games. He is on pace for 224. (4x56)

Is this a record for a season? and if not what is?

they dont keep a record for seasonal tackles. they do keep one for rookies and he holds it

nyjunc said:
I didn't say they weren't important I said they can be misleading, I don't think Vilma is the best LB just b/c he is leading in tackles. he has not had as good a year so far as he did last year.

I don't undervalue Zach, dolphin fans overvalue him. he's a real good player but you guys act like he's a HOFer which he clearly is not.

I think for the most part we don't treat him like a HOFer. But we certainly treat him like one of the best in the league, which I think he is.

PhinsPhan said:
I think for the most part we don't treat him like a HOFer. But we certainly treat him like one of the best in the league, which I think he is.

he's a very good player and to be honest he's one of the few dolphins I actually like. How can you not love the way he plays the game? but I think he's been a tad overrated.

nyjunc said:
he's a very good player and to be honest he's one of the few dolphins I actually like. How can you not love the way he plays the game? but I think he's been a tad overrated.

"cleary not a hall of famer"?? ... again, you speak as if you're the authority and as if your opinion is fact... which it CLEARLY isn't...

as for being overrated, you're talking about the Dolphins board... of course he's beloved... just like that fraud of a QB of yours was vastly overrated on GangGreen before last year...

nyjunc said:
You like Zach's way of playing? Geez, you sure go out of your way to knock some people of their high horses. :lol:

nyjunc said:
Like in the Jet gam where at leats half of his tackles were downfield or when the jets were running out the clock. The stat is misleading, alot depends on the O you are playing and how good yor team si. A bad team will have teams running against them alot and therefore be bale to rack up tackle #s which is exactly what used to happen to us w/ Kyle Clifton. he'd routinely put up near 200 tale seasons but he wasn't great.- it can be a misleading stat.

Once again, you don't know your JET @ss from a whole in the ground. Zach is doing his job and part of his job is to go out and stop the offense. Regardless of where the tackle is made, be it from a lineman making a good block on a D-lineman or someone making a play, he is generally the first guy there on the play. Regardless of the Defensive system he's put in as he has proved already... Tackles are as misleading as the RB's making long runs in the 4th quarter or WR's making big catches in the 4th when there team is down.. No such thing... He's a playmaker that Vilma wishes he was.

nyjunc said:

I wonder how overrated teh Broncos think he may be after he pretty much was responsible for keeping them out of the endzone on 4 consecutive plays.

Also, as far as the tackle stat being overrated....linebackers are supposed to make tackles. When Linebackers have big numbers in tackles per year that means their defense is solid against the run. Now when you see safeties with high numbers of tackles per game, then you know that RBs are running through defenses like prune juice in an old man.

i will agree with nyjunc's point that tackles are hard to gage, because it's important to note where said linebacker made the tackle... 4 yards and in? or in front of the first down point? he's doing his job... but, consistently 5 yards and back? or past the first down marker? he's not ... fine...

but this guy bases his overall opinion on ZT on the half dozen performances against the Jets, in which the effective scheme sent a mobile Hall of Fame-bound center (Mawae) after Zach, and two very capable guards occupying Gardener and/or Bowens... what that scenario is is merely a favorable matchup further aided by a hindrance on the other side of the ball due to a vastly inadequate Miami offense ... an offense led by a fading Marino, and below average Fiedler...

he goes on to suggest that Zach doesn't come through in the playoffs or late in the season... but, considering the scheme, is he not a function of what the DTs in front of him are able to do? and how often was Gardener and/or Bowens out for the stretch run? at least twice each in those playoff losses where one or both were not present...

97 playoff loss to the Patriots? not Zach's fault... a defensive game all the way...

98 loss to Denver? we had just come off a scrappy victory over Buffalo at home, then had to travel to the eventual champions' cold house in Denver on a short week, and with still an awful offense...

99 loss to Jax? you're blaming Zach for that?

2000? played awfully well to help beat Indy in overtime, and Miami's offense-less attack stayed with the Raiders the next week as long as they could...

2001? i'd say the defense did everything asked of it against Baltimore... Fiedler looked drunk again...

the point is, of course the Miami defense is going to wear down as seasons progress... yeah, when it was on the field for 35 minutes a game, and getting no help from their ephus pitch quarterback with turnstile offensive line...

but, in your opinion, Zach needed to step up and overcome those deficiencies all on his own... because that's the mark of a hall of famer... and of course, all Hall of Famers are players who won Super Bowls all by themselves...

nevermind that his numbers are better already than Hall of Fame linebackers like Dave Wilcox, Sam Huff and Ted Hendricks...

Zach Thomas may not be a first ballot inductee... but for someone to suggest he's "not even close", or flat "clearly isn't" a Hall of Famer, is kinda ignorant...

and that's why your smug New York opinions hold no merit with me, and never will.... :sleep:

nyjunc said:

So long as you are not be so delusional to think he is yet in Zach's league (If ever), no problem.

nyjunc said:

For most of his career, he has been considered one of the top 3 M-linbacker in football, always among the top in tackles, and your Jets think so highly of him, they make sure to get their best linemen on him on every play....but no he is not close to being a HOF player. You can only hope that one day Vilma will be half the Linebacker Zach has been, and still is.

nyjunc said:

:lol: You are just amazing, yet you continue to talk of Vilma, who is not fit to be spoken in the same sentence as Zach as a great player. AMAZING

nyjunc said:

i bet you something hes going to the h of fame

He's a playmaker that Vilma wishes he was.

But Vilma has more tackles, doesn't that make him better? In reality Vilma is better but on here no one would admit that but ask personnel gurus who they'd rather have now and they'd all say Vilma.

campeonaso said:
i bet you something hes going to the h of fame

I guarantee he's not going to the HOF, no chance. He's not even borderline. PC spoke of Kevin mawae as being a HOfer and mawae has beena better C than Zach a MLB but I don't believe Mawae is a HOFer YET either. Whatever you want to bet I'll g along w/ it- there is no way he gets in.

nyjunc said:
I guarantee he's not going to the HOF, no chance. He's not even borderline. PC spoke of Kevin mawae as being a HOfer and mawae has beena better C than Zach a MLB but I don't believe Mawae is a HOFer YET either. Whatever you want to bet I'll g along w/ it- there is no way he gets in.
he has more tackles than ray lewis and they start their carriers at the same time ,so why is the people talking already (not here but everiwhere )that lewis is already a hof er

Back
Top Bottom