Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor lobbying for Jim Bates | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor lobbying for Jim Bates

Bates is 60 and in great shape - he's a former linebacker - and can certainly coach for five years. I can't see him retiring for health reasons at 63 when at 58 he was chest-bumping Arturo Freeman after an interception.

Then again, we've had such great success with our recent young coaches...

Sorry...60 is too old. I'm tired of headcoaches that change every couple years...and then it's rebuild over time...we need a young headcoach like Shula was in the in early 70's....so he can take his shoes off and have more than one cup of coffee.

Sorry...60 is too old. I'm tired of headcoaches that change every couple years...and then it's rebuild over time...we need a young headcoach like Shula was in the in early 70's....so he can take his shoes off and have more than one cup of coffee.

I agree with you but I honestly don't think that's realistic any more. These days coaches come and go with few exceptions (Bill Cowher, for one) so it seems. You're lucky to get somebody to stay for three years whether they're 30 or 60.

No way!

Horrible idea. Does anyone honestly think Bates can outcoach the rest of the teams in the AFC? He's very vanilla and plain. Great guy, but doesn't have what it takes for success in the modern NFL.

I agree, Jim Bates = Kippy Brown...too plain, too stale, just average nice guys.

Bates is 60 and in great shape - he's a former linebacker - and can certainly coach for five years. I can't see him retiring for health reasons at 63 when at 58 he was chest-bumping Arturo Freeman after an interception.

Then again, we've had such great success with our recent young coaches...

I totally agree jim bates is not old....tom coughlin is like 67 or sumthing and parcells in nealry 70 gibbs i forget how old he is but hes old...if gates were to be successful he would need to be here for at least 4-5 years which is a normal couch contract unless he comes in and brings us to superbowl first season (MORALE IS A DANGEROUS THING TO MESS WITH) so i stay stick to bates....not only that bates doesnt want much money so that means we can spend money on free agents or draft picks u dig

As much as I love Zach and JT, they are not the future, and while they're input should be respected, it should not be listened to. This team needs a full re-build. Zach and JT are not a part of that re-build. We have to do what's best for the organization looking 3-4 years down the road. Neither one of them will be here in 3 or 4 more years.

Great post....

Also, isn't JT conteplating retirement??? Why would he be lobbying for a coach???

Then let me clarify the comment. By offensive-minded, I mean a guy that knows offense, that understands it, a guy that has coached it. To cite Tony Dungy as a counter-example is inane. When Dungy was hired, he was hired with a mandate not to mess with the offense. It was already in place. Tom Moore was the OC in Indy before Dungy got there. All of the prominent players on offense were already there. A better example would be Dungy's offenses in Tampa, which were consistently terrible (5 out of 6-years they ranked in the bottom half of the league.) Seifert is another horrible example, since he was promoted from within and inherited players and a system from his predecessor. Marvin Lewis inherited his offense too. Bob Bratkowski was the OC two years before Lewis got there. Palmer was drafted the year Lewis arrived. Houshmanzadeh, Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, etc. predated Lewis.

Nick Saban, Dave Wannstadt, and Jimmy Johnson were defensive coaches and we see what wonders they did with the Dolphins offense. The Bears offense is terrible, so if the Cover Two defense (his forte) and its inherent weaknesses don't scare you away from Rivera, his lack of exposure to anything resembling a decent offense should.

Whether the offense was there before those coaches got there is completely irrelavant. You just need a defensive coach who understands that he is not an offensive genius and is willing to hire someone as OC who is. The fact that Saban, Wanny and JJ didn't have great offenses here is not because they were defensive coaches originally. Saban brought in Linehan and let him be pretty aggressive -- the fact that the offense's success was limited by the fact that Gus Frerotte was the QB had nothing to do with the fact that Saban was a defensive coach. There have been plenty of supposed offensive gurus who did not have good offenses when they became head coaches. Brian Billick has had some good teams, but not because of his offenses.

The coaches you cited all had the good sense to realize that their teams already had good offenses (or good offensive systems) and left them alone. They all had the power to scale down those offenses or make them more conservative, but did not.

I'd love to see Jim Bates come back and coach. He was a players coach and rallied the team to a huge win against those darn Pats on Monday night football!

I like Bates and if Capers leaves for another job, I'd be happy to see Bates back as DC if he wants to. As for HC, he'd probably be 7th or 8th on the short list. I hope the fact that JT is lobbying for him means he's willing to stay and not retire. If signing Bates means JT stays, that might change things. But he did a good job while he was here anyways.

I think Taylor said he might retire because he knew Saban was leaving and wants to see who the new coach is before he decides

No I don't see it like you, we didn't have a starting QB last year do you think that makes a difference in the outcome of games? Our D was said to be aging going into the 2006 season, they finished 4th overall and were as high as #2 this year. Sub-par Oline??? How about completely decimated with injury Oline??? Saban shuffled the line ten ways to Sunday this year. I don't think Wes had a problem holding onto the ball, and Marty has a solid season. Chris needs to go. Our secondary finshed the season in the top 5 overall, sure we could use a ball hog in the secondary, but we didn't finish top five in the league because we suck. We also finished top 7 in run D, so teams didn't simply run the ball on us all day giving us a top passing D by default, like the Bills. No we don't have a HC, but we could start next year with a better HC then the one we had. Did I forget to metion how easy WH makes it to coach in Miami???

Sweep...that is all

would jason taylor please be quite if it were up to him wanny would still be the coach . jason probally isnt as interested in going to the superbowl as he is in having a country club atmosphere . although ilove jason i kind of think randy mcmichael may have given jason knot upon his head .
i have mixed feelings about bates and i like him but i just dont think he would address the problems and we cant keep patching the team .

Back
Top Bottom