Zach Thomas HOF finalist | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas HOF finalist

I've stated it on many posts in regarding ZT for the HOF ... and I'll restate them here.

1. I said two years ago that with Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher going in at the same time, that was a GOOD thing for Zach, because lets be honest ... the way the media and everyone looked at those two, those two were going in FIRST before Zach. Once those two got in, then the door would open up for Zach.

2. Once those two got in in 2018, look what happened the following year ... Zach became a semi-finalist for the first time. It was the first time he got true consideration. Zach Thomas, in regards to MLBs, SHOULD be the next one to go in ... which now leads me to point 3.

3. Whats interesting here (and it was honestly one of the things I was worried about) ... is that Zach made the finalists list OVER Patrick Willis. That tells me, the committee is not going to put Willis in, until Zach gets in. Their careers were similar "credential wise", even though Willis's was a much short career ... but I was honestly afraid that Willis would make the finalists list over Zach, but he didn't. That spells even more good news for Zach. The wildcard here is LB Sam Mills, who is in his 18th year of eligibility. Maybe the HOF finally sees that and puts him in before he goes on the senior ballot.

Even so ... the tide is slowly turning in Zach's favor. Urlacher, Peyton Manning, and especially Kevin Mawae (in his HOF speech last year) have all stated that Zach belongs in the HOF ... and now that he is finally a finalist, and gonna be in the room for once for discussion ... I think its only a matter of time. Zach has a lot of years of eligibility left (he has until 2033 to get in as a modern-era candidate), so the odds are good.

I've stated it on many posts in regarding ZT for the HOF ... and I'll restate them here.

1. I said two years ago that with Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher going in at the same time, that was a GOOD thing for Zach, because lets be honest ... the way the media and everyone looked at those two, those two were going in FIRST before Zach. Once those two got in, then the door would open up for Zach.

2. Once those two got in in 2018, look what happened the following year ... Zach became a semi-finalist for the first time. It was the first time he got true consideration. Zach Thomas, in regards to MLBs, SHOULD be the next one to go in ... which now leads me to point 3.

3. Whats interesting here (and it was honestly one of the things I was worried about) ... is that Zach made the finalists list OVER Patrick Willis. That tells me, the committee is not going to put Willis in, until Zach gets in. Their careers were similar "credential wise", even though Willis's was a much short career ... but I was honestly afraid that Willis would make the finalists list over Zach, but he didn't. That spells even more good news for Zach. The wildcard here is LB Sam Mills, who is in his 18th year of eligibility. Maybe the HOF finally sees that and puts him in before he goes on the senior ballot.

Even so ... the tide is slowly turning in Zach's favor. Urlacher, Peyton Manning, and especially Kevin Mawae (in his HOF speech last year) have all stated that Zach belongs in the HOF ... and now that he is finally a finalist, and gonna be in the room for once for discussion ... I think its only a matter of time. Zach has a lot of years of eligibility left (he has until 2033 to get in as a modern-era candidate), so the odds are good.

I think this is very good analysis of how this works and how Zach is viewed.

Umm... there have been other boards my friend. Many here posted at the Herald... and then World Crossing. I've known some of these people for 25 years.

I’m going to let you in on a little secret.

Fanbases and message boards can be a group of complete ***holes.

Prime example: Who’s the best third baseman to ever play in baseball?

That can be debated...lightly. If the name Mike Schmidt doesn’t come out of your mouth in the first two or three tries, you’ve lost your mind.

Mike Schmidt was roasted. Loathed at times. Raked over the coals in Philly. Michael Jack ******* Schmidt. Fan bases, fan boards, and any group of people in general when they decide to set their foot in the ground on a topic, are ***holes.

Now...it’s not like those you’re debating with are rookies, or lacking in multi-board presence. But here’s what’s more important; being around longer has zero impact on how important or valuable your opinion is. Was Zach perfect? No. Dan Marino couldn’t sell a play-action to save his ass. He’s still one of the best to ever do it. Zach Thomas could get caught up in the wash in a power run game.

Here’s the thing: Often times when that happened, offenses were keying on him as the focal point in blocking schemes. It’s a team sport, so someone else should be freed up when that happened. Like Mawae said, quoting Belichick, “If you don’t block 54, we’re not going to win.”

I’m going to take the word of one of the best centers and one of the best coaches in the history of the sport over any message board opinion.

Umm... there have been other boards my friend. Many here posted at the Herald... and then World Crossing. I've known some of these people for 25 years.
Good for you. Still doesn't change the fact you haven't been on this board for decades. Just like it still doesn't change the fact that most football fans believe Zach belongs in the Hall of Fame. As I said, you're barking up the wrong tree. You would be better off convincing a rock should be water.

Last edited:
I heard they were waiting for the addition before having to deal with the size of his bust. Zach's got a big noggin! But I regress, sac was a fine outstanding linebacker more than deserving this honor. Good luck, I'm definitely pulling for you.

This guy needs to not only be in the HOF but Ross needs to throw whatever money he needs to and get this guy to coach up the defense or the very least Linebackers.. Guy was a Genius and I really liked that he gave Tim Bowens a shoutout because that was one of the most underappreciated DT's ever who should be a HOF candidate but probrably won't be because DT's don't put up gawdy stats normally.

Man just watching the video you get a sense of how smart this guy is and the amount of study that made him successful.. he would make a hell of a coach,

Excellent post it was so sad that our defences were so light in the shorts by seasons end we were gassed otherwise we might have had that SB win

I loved Zach... loved him, but I guess I'm the contrarian here. He was real good for quite awhile... rather than great.

I'm not sure he ever gets in.

It's tough for a guy with no Super Bowl wins.
Everyone is due their own opinion. However, I'm through with the "no ring" junk. It doesn't work. A Superbowl ring is a team accomplishment. It has nothing to do with Zach's individual performance which was off the charts. The guy deserves to be in there mores than some that already are. The no Super Bowl ring argument is hyperbole.

Some people are big on style points

The only and I mean the only thing I can think of why people are down on ZT has nothing to do with his desire the perception by some is that he made many tackles down the field and didn’t always wrap up conventionally because the DTs couldn’t keep him clean those RBs had 7-10 yards run at him - it has nothing to do with his ability to tackle is a stat one tackle

Manning acknowledged ZT as the guy he had to be extremely careful with on that Dolphins D and in the league in particular and that trumps his style points for tackling

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom