Zach Thomas nominated for Hall Of Fame | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas nominated for Hall Of Fame

I'd love for ZT to get in. He probably wont get in until one of the weaker HOF classes comes up, but I believe he will get in one day. What hurts him most is that he was a quiet guy who didnt make a lot of noise off the field. He didnt want to be in the spotlight or be on TV. If this were a vote just on football merit, he would easily get in imo.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure Zach ever makes it into the HOF. He was a great player and certainly an all-time Dolphins great, but I don't know if he did enough in terms of the post-season and accolades to get into the hall from national voters. He was a victim of playing for a perennially disappointing Dolphin team that never achieved anything memorable in the playoffs. Will the 7 pro bowls be enough? Not so sure...

JT will eventually get in based on his defensive MVP, media savvy and more memorable impact on the game, but he won't be a first ballot guy either.

JT most likely will be in on the first ballot top 10 in sacks all time. No way he isnt in but Kevin Greene is 3rd and he still isnt in.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure Zach ever makes it into the HOF. He was a great player and certainly an all-time Dolphins great, but I don't know if he did enough in terms of the post-season and accolades to get into the hall from national voters. He was a victim of playing for a perennially disappointing Dolphin team that never achieved anything memorable in the playoffs. Will the 7 pro bowls be enough? Not so sure...

JT will eventually get in based on his defensive MVP, media savvy and more memorable impact on the game, but he won't be a first ballot guy either.

I agree with everything above. Looking at the numbers, the impact he had on the team, and the leadership skills he deserves to be in. He was never a media darling like Jason Taylor was. I hope Zach makes it in, but I think he probably won't. JT gets in for sure.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

JT most likely will be in on the first ballot top 10 in sacks all time. No way he isnt in but Kevin Greene is 3rd and he still isnt in.

Kevin Greene was a beast. Dude deserves to be there!

Michael Strahan didn't even make it on the first ballot, I can't see JT doing that unless it's an unbelievably weak class.

Zach Thomas may suffer because he played during the same era as a few other really great linebackers (Brooks, Seau, Lewis).

But... his individual career accomplishments are worthy. 7x Pro Bowler, 5x first team All Pro. That's a 5 time first team All-Pro playing the same position as Ray Lewis and Junior Seau when they were still on the field, something that's pretty impressive. IMO that resume easily stands up against recent inductees like Rickey Jackson and Andre Tippett.

I think there will be room for Zach. They found room for Andre freaking Reed.

I don't have many good memories of that era of Dolphins football, but Zach Thomas was a great player. He's worthy.

Small in stature, huge in heart. Zach was a true football junkie and one of the most humble and soft spoken as well. Most of the time I'm pretty sure he knew the oppositions offense better than they did. It was a pleasure watching him, that's for damn sure. And hope I get to root for him one more time in Canton.

I don’t play the “compared to so and so” game. Based off his own merits, Zach belongs in the HOF. Period.

I don’t play the “compared to so and so” game. Based off his own merits, Zach belongs in the HOF. Period.

If you look solely at Zach's individual resume in terms of accolades, he belongs. He doesn't have a championship or a DPOY award, and that absolutely hurts him, but for a long time in these Hall of Fame arguments (not necessarily on this board) I've seen "first team All Pro" bandied about as the accolade that defines a player as elite in his era.

Well, Zach's got plenty of those.

Zach will get in eventually, but matched up against Seau, not this year.

If you look solely at Zach's individual resume in terms of accolades, he belongs. He doesn't have a championship or a DPOY award, and that absolutely hurts him, but for a long time in these Hall of Fame arguments (not necessarily on this board) I've seen "first team All Pro" bandied about as the accolade that defines a player as elite in his era.

The whole "needing a championship to get in the Hall of Fame" argument is hogwash. 5/7 of those elected to the Hall of Fame this year never got a championship. Obviously they weren't first ballot hall of famers (especially Claude Humphreys and Ray Guy) but at the end of the day they got in.

Plus Zach made the 2000s All-Decade team. That's a huge accolade.

Absolutely the point I was trying to make. Since you brought it up, do you think that the the DPOY, the pro bowls and the first team all pro's on JT's resume guarentee him a first ballot HOF induction?

in over jason taylor if i had any say...

Agreed but I've got the same question for you that I posed to Wannyheimer above... Does JT get in on the first nomination based off his resume. Particularly the DPOY award?

Back
Top Bottom