Zach Thomas nominated for Hall Of Fame | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas nominated for Hall Of Fame

Agreed but I've got the same question for you that I posed to Wannyheimer above... Does JT get in on the first nomination based off his resume. Particularly the DPOY award?

he shouldn't...guy was a ghost in games that mattered for us...talked like tarzan played like jane in the clutch

he shouldn't...guy was a ghost in games that mattered for us...talked like tarzan played like jane in the clutch

True, but some would make the same argument against Zach. In fact, the entire defense of that time had a habit of laying an egg when it mattered most.

True, but some would make the same argument against Zach. In fact, the entire defense of that time had a habit of laying an egg when it mattered most.

yes they did...zach struggled when centers could get to him specifically kevin mawae...who ate him up with the jets...but yeah that whole "desert swarm" if i remember my posters back then correctly defense was awful in big games

yes they did...zach struggled when centers could get to him specifically kevin mawae...who ate him up with the jets...but yeah that whole "desert swarm" if i remember my posters back then correctly defense was awful in big games

Very good point. His biggest area of struggle I would argue though, was covering the TE. Just about any TE it seemed. I'm not sure why but it seemed like Capers never had an alternate gameplan for covering TE's. I mean, I LOVE Zach Thomas, more so than any other Dolphin player, but the dude struggled at covering even the most pedestrian of TE's. Don't get me started on his few matchups against the Chiefs and the GOAT, Tony G. I can't tell you the number of times I had to take one on the chin from my Chiefs fan buddies when Tony would march up and down the field on us.

But I digress. This thread shouldn't be about ZT's shortcomings, regardless of how few there were.

Zach Thomas may suffer because he played during the same era as a few other really great linebackers (Brooks, Seau, Lewis).

But... his individual career accomplishments are worthy. 7x Pro Bowler, 5x first team All Pro. That's a 5 time first team All-Pro playing the same position as Ray Lewis and Junior Seau when they were still on the field, something that's pretty impressive. IMO that resume easily stands up against recent inductees like Rickey Jackson and Andre Tippett.

I think there will be room for Zach. They found room for Andre freaking Reed.

I don't have many good memories of that era of Dolphins football, but Zach Thomas was a great player. He's worthy.

yknow JD, when you bring up Andre Reed it makes sense... if he got in Zach shud DEF get in! I still don't get Reed in the Hall.. smh

Zach Thomas is my second favorite Dolphin of all time, right behind Dan, and the only Dolphin player i ever met and talked to, shook hands with, a real humble country boy from Texas.

Seau will get in....I don't think Zach or Vincent will.

Then that would be a true and sad travesty. Seau was a very good player, one of the best of his time, up the middle he was one of the best, but sideline to sideline Zach seemed to always be two steps ahead of everyone, and he never, ever quit.

While players like Seau, Lewis, Brooks were very talented, and complimented his teammates well, none of those guys even came close to making the players around him better as much as Zach did, he was the true team player.

As Peyton Manning was quoted to say: "Of all the defensive players I went against, there was nobody I hated seeing more then Zach Thomas, he seemed to always know what the play was about to be."

No way Troy Vincent gets in IMO.

Troy Vincent is actually a possible future successor to Roger Goodell as NFL Commissioner. If that eventuates, he will have the rare distinction of excelling as a player making it to the Pro Bowl, then as a player representative on the NFLPA reaching the position of President, he currently holds a very senior position at the NFL (Senior VP NFL Player Engagement), reporting to the Commissioner. If (and it's a very big if) he ends up as Commissioner, he will have done it all and will probably make it to the HOF.
It might take another 6 - 10 years but it is possible. He is the one senior NFL employee with a top NFL pedigree as a player and player representative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Troy Vincent is actually a possible future successor to Roger Goodell as NFL Commissioner. If that eventuates, he will have the rare distinction of excelling as a player making it to the Pro Bowl, then as a player representative on the NFLPA, he currently holds a very senior position at the NFL, reporting to the Commissioner. If (and it's a verty big if) he ends up as Commissioner, he will have done it all and will probably make it to the HOF.
It might take another 6 - 10 years but it is possible.
If I am not mistaken he got the job Aponte was up for before she opted out.

Back
Top Bottom