Zach Thomas vs. Brian Urlacher | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas vs. Brian Urlacher

Who would you rather have and/or the best player?

• Zach Thomas

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • Brian Urlacher

Votes: 76 53.9%

• Total voters
JBOND

"come on justa....teams have no problems running at Zach? How many times does Zach whiff on blocks, get run over, dragged around like a doll? Not very often. Zach stops them dead in their tracks most of the time. Even then, we've had one of the best run defenses time and time again over the decade Zach was playing, with Timbo and Chester up front and Zach plugging the holes. There was a reason for that and Zach was a LARGE part of that reason. Everyone used Zach's size against him and said he'd never make it in the NFL....he proved them all wrong and became a multi-probowl LB....then they said he couldn't play in a 3-4 because of his size....proved them all wrong again. I'm tired of hearing people continually bring up his size as a negative when he has proven over a decade in the NFL that his size is more then adequte for being an execptionally talented LB and he's been a part of some of the most consistently talented defense in the league during that time. If we didn't have so many pro bowlers on Defense over the last decade I bet people would give Zach more props. It's always easier to find the single shining light amongst the darkness. "

Teams DO NOT gameplan around Zach but they do Urlacher. Seriously, you can't compare. Urlacher dominates while Zachs does not. Zach can tackle but he does not make gamebreaking HUGE plays like Urlacher does . If you can't see that, you guys are being homers about this.

If Urlacher continues doing what he's doing barring injuries, he may eventually surpass Seau. Zach is not even in the same league as Seau in his prime.

Having a bunch of tackles is overrated. The LB with less tackles overall, but more plays behind the line of scrimmage is better IMO.
Big plays are what define a damn good linebacker....that is why Brian is better than Zach.

brian is 6'4 has more range, makes plays in terms of strpiing the ball or making blocks anyway brian is a great leader and a beast,

Think about this. Brian has the sizes needed at LB and still doesn't have the numbers zach has. Give zach that size and no doubt his #'s would be even better. He's putting up great #'s for an undersized LB. Thats why he's a better player.:dolphins:

Anyone notice that in 6 years Urlacher has twice as many sacks as Zack has in 11 years...

Those are "BIG PLAYS"... the kinds that get you out on "third downs"...

Both had a tough time when there was no blockers. But in run situations, I'd pick Zach and his nose for the ball. But in pass situations, I'd go with Urlacher for his size. Of course, put Zach in Spragan's body and he'll be my choice hands down.

Id Take Zach, He Gives It EVERYTHING He Has Every Game... Played With I Think It Was A Fractured Bone In His Neck... And Someone Said That Da Bears Have 6 Other Pro Bowlers Makin Tackles.. Well...

Pat Surtain
Sammy Knight
Kevin Carter
Jason Taylor
Junior Seau
Keith Traylor

I Believe They Were All Playin At The Same Time Right??

And Zach STILL Made All Those Tackles...
4 Of Those Players Are Front Seven... Meaning Zach And Two Other Players A Remaining In The First Line Of Defense Against The Run...

All That BU Has On ZT Is Speed, Period.

Funny how everyone jumps on the guy with team that is winning. Up until last week. Zack was still leading the league in tackles. EVEN with all his missed tackles. Cmon people, I know things are bad... lets not rain on guys with heart, and play hard.

I am a bears fan and my opinion might be a little biased. Of course I would take Brian. BTW, he was a #1 draft choice. Converted from Safety in college to LB. He didn't play LB, let alone MLB until he was a rookie in camp. Pretty remarkable adjustment if you think about it. MLB is the field general. He had no experience at all before playing that position at the highest level (NFL).

Zach is one hell of a LB. Great heart. Tenacious! Smart! Seems to be a true professional as well. I think the one thing that separates the 2 is Urlachers speed. You cannot compensate for it. Both are strong, love the game, study hard and are leaders of their respective teams. I think the world of Zach, but the speed of Urlacher tips the scales for me. If I couldn't have Urlacher, I would certainly be happy with Zach on my side.

Disnardo said:
Anyone notice that in 6 years Urlacher has twice as many sacks as Zack has in 11 years...

Those are "BIG PLAYS"... the kinds that get you out on "third downs"...

I don't suppose you noticed that Zach has 4 TD's to his credit in 11 years......Urlacher has....ZERO. That 6 pts (7 w/the kick) is a HELL of a lot better then making a 3rd down stop in the middle of a long 70+ yard drive.

Both have, avg., about 1.5 interceptions a year....so even...but both productive in turning the ball over.....Zach's just happened to not only turn it over but also grab a few TDs along the way. Not too shabby on Zach's part eh?

In 7 seasons (including this one)...Urlacher's been involved (solo & assists) to about 107 tackles a year on avg. In Zach's "11" years (let's see how everyone's recent favorite stud is doing 4 years from now).....in ELEVEN years ZT is averaging been in on (solo & assists) 134 tackles a year. Want to talk about stopping people on 3rd downs? Tackling helps :)

Sacks...? Sure I'll give Urlacher that category....but did you forget that historically we didn't blitz very much until recently?

Now serving number..... :)

btw...they're both GREAT LBs so not knocking either one. I'd like to have either guy on my team but after having ZT for the past decade....I wouldn't trade those years for a future with another one (hypothetically speaking).

hey bear fan here, just throwin a couple facts up, urlacher does infact have 2 tds in his career, he caught a 27 yard td pass and returned a fumble 80 somthing yards in 2001 both for tds.

they werent ints so they didnt show up in def stats but they are there so you cant say he had 0 :p but ya lach hasnt taken one to the house in the regular season "yet" but thats not to say he wont ever, i may be kind of a homer but urlacher is on pace for the hall with his play making ability.

and zach is a very good lb, he has had numerous great seasons and very little credit for them cause he hasnt had his name attached to big plays or such. hes a very dependable lb.

cant ya just go 3-4 and have both? -_-

well, then I (and the stats listed) stand corrected, lol. They're both great. I've enjoyed ZT for 11 years and counting. Would BU be the better choice "today" moving forward? Yes, logically. Would I trade the past 11+ years and counting of ZT for 7+ who knows for BU? No. Zach, JT, Timbo, Pat & Sam...those are my guys who ran the show for a long time and I love them all for it naturally :)

Thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom