Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 1 Edition | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 1 Edition

Tua threw for 7.5 yards per attempt. This was better than most of the young QBs today.

This was the main knock on him last year, "he doesn't throw it down field." Well he did today. It's just he didn't throw it alot because of the Patriots run game/TOP.

Bingo - I won’t even read these grades after reading the opening line of this thread

I seriously want to know why it seems to be the narrative that Miami should have won by three or more touchdowns. This is always been a really good defensive team we spent a lot of money in free agency to reinforce their defense and had a number of people return from Covid restriction and sitting out. And have always had great offensive line play, Mac Jones had a ton of time to grow I bet if Tula was on the patriot he would’ve thrown for 350 yesterday.

I don’t think they’re as good as the media is saying but this patriots team is a fringe playoff team with whoever is playing at quarterback
I believe the Patriots will be a 9-10 win team this year and people will look back at this game and say the loss to the Dolphins was the reason the Patriots didn’t make the Playoffs.

The Patriots have a solid defense, an above average OL and running game and Jones will only grow in that offense. The dislike for the Patriots by many on this forum prevents them from accepting that this Patriots team is a lot better than the 2019 Patriots team.

The Dolphins obviously still have some areas of the team to continue to work on to get better. But the fact is that while it certainly wasn’t the type of blowout some on here expected. The reality is the Dolphins went in to New England and beat a good Patriots team on their own field in front of the Patriot fans. That is NEVER an easy thing to do but the Dolphins did it.

Personally I think this was a very good win over a good team but others on here have a right to view this win any way they want to.

I'm very happy with the result. We sent Belichick home a loser, at home in his own ball park, in front of 70k fans. It was a big road win for our team. They don't give style points for football. The game is measured in wins and losses. We got a win, a great start to the season.

But, there was a lot to be desired in how we played and I believe we were fortunate to come away with a win. Tua wasn't as sharp as I hoped he'd be and I'm concerned about it. The o-line, if we have the right coach and players, will come together in time. If we don't have the right coach or players we're in a lot of trouble and we'll be drafting oline again. I'm really hopeful that this group can improve and gel as time goes by. They better.

We won and that makes everything ok but I don't like the way we played defense. We were passive and got picked apart on 3rd down all day. As I feared we made Mac Jones look like a great QB. It's lucky we resigned X to cause the game winning fumble. Many of our weaknesses were exposed by the Patriots. Our front 7 on defense was so pathetic against the run. Davis goes out and we can't stop the run? The Pats oline handed us easily. The front 7 better wake up. Where were those guys? And finally, we drafted Phillips to get to the passer. That's his specialty, so why is he a LBer on this team and not a DE. He should be coming after the QB on every play imo. Let him loose to terrorize, don't neuter the kid! Stop changing positions, play these kids where they excel and stop trying to outsmart the world. It can't be done, ask Adam Gase. Same with the oline. We draft a kid that was a 3 year LT and put him at RT, then LG? At what point does cross training take away from the players natural born skills and cause him to think too much and not just react and hit with power?

I knew that we had a ton of new coaches and players coming to the team and that some patience may be required until the oline gels and the defense settles down, and of course, Tua gets more experiance. We have things to fix and things to build on but the good news is we're 1-0.

I was pleasantly surprised by the front 7 especially considering Davis was out. They put some pressure on Mac and had a couple of questionable calls go the other way. Statistically they'd be looking a whole lot better if that personal foul was a sack and the 'pass' was a strip sack. Ogbah had a few pressures and Eguavoen looked great as a blitzer. Sieler rarely flashes but is a solid end. They do need more from the outside backers....Van Ginkle and Phillips both get pushed around.

Mac is a big kid who can move around in the pocket and doesn't scare easy. Hes got a ways to go but could be a good one.

I guess I wasn't as high on this defense as some around here so it was easier to see the positives. They're going to be a solid unit.

At a glance....

Seemed to me like we were out game planned which is surprising. Not the offensive game plan I expected at all. Quick slant to Parker was unstoppable and they only ran it a couple of times. NE used to run this all day long against us with those slot receivers. Seems like we could have used this with multiple receivers (Waddle/Wilson).

And what was the point of starting Jakeem Grant? Albert Wilson and Mike Gesicki were shut down. Lets hope the addition of Fuller this week changes the dynamic of this offense and opens things up.

Defensively they seemed very vanilla against a rookie QB. Saw them rush 3 on 3rd and long and give Jones all day to throw. We also held them to 1 TD which is pretty darn good on the road. Bend don't break defense is still holding.

Seems like people are judging Eichenberg's overall performance on the one play where he gave up a sack? From what I saw he was tripped. It happens. The guy had short notice and a few days during game week to get snaps at LT after playing at LG and RT all off season. Can we not give him a season grade after week 1?

We are still struggling with physical teams on both sides of the ball. Losing Davis on the first series hurt. NE has a top 5 OL so not all that surprised. We just don't match up very well. Very good run offense.

I expect them to get better and learn from the tape but they have a lot of work to do before Buffalo comes to town. Getting a win in NE is huge. Our best chance for a sweep in a long time. We should be better at home next week and I fully expect Flo to get this team ready.

I think I am jaded after seeing NE have a QB fall in their lap and look very good.

Ummmm….It doesn’t feel like a win. Yes, we went up to Foxboro and beat the Patriots. Yes, we’re in first place in the AFC East all by ourselves. However, we should have blown this team out. On the flip side, we did get the W. That’s what really counts. On to the grades:

QB’s — C + : We still don’t really know what we have in Tua yet. That’s unfortunate. I was hoping for a WAY better performance today. What we got was a pedestrian Tua. While it was good enough today…Will it be good enough down the road? I tend to think not. As for excuses..There were drops. The OL was awful. The Defense couldn’t get off the field. All valid. I’ll say this though…The excuse making doesn’t have long before someone has to say that maybe Tua isn’t the answer. I don’t know when that will be….But unless he starts showing me more than he did today… It’s going to be rather soon. As for inserting Brissett into the short yardage situations…It worked….Until we got a little too cute.

DL — D + : Wow. The Davis injury was crushing. I’m hoping it’s not serious. As for rest of the lot… We couldn’t stop the run. We got almost no pressure. We couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down. I mean…. You didn’t have to be Nostradamus to know the Patriots game plan. We still couldn’t stop it. Where was Wilkins all day? I’m sorry….But that wasn’t good enough.

LB’s — C - : AVG was invisible. Jaelan Phillips was invisible. Baker was decent but got beat on the loft throw by Jones to the RB for a long gainer. This probably should be a D.

A win in Foxboro is a special win, I remember when the Dolphins were king of the division and we would still find a way to lose up there (snowplow anyone). So I'll take the win.

QB: Tua, as everyone knows I am not a believer in him and this game wasn't terrible but it just showed more of the same. I sat there comparing Jones and Tua and asking myself to find what the difference was between the "generational QB #5 overall" vs the "game manager overdrafted @15". There are some differences, quicker release for example but I could find "It", sorry Tua continues to show he is just another guy, nothing to write home about....period.

DL: I certainly hope Davis is ok, but he would have to have some very special knees to play next week, that bend was horrific. His absence was very much felt and he seemed poised to become something very interesting.

LB: Jaelan Phillips, young man you had better get your head out of your buttocks. I watching the line for Patriots abuse you on multiple plays, that just cannot happen. I really fear this pick may not work out in the manner we had hoped.

Question...if Tua's line performed like the Patriots, would we have any doubt that he's the man? Admittedly, the interception was a bonehead play and at a crucial moment in the game. Tua, and the team, were lucky to get away with that one.

Agree, the offensive line could be problematic. There are benefits and expected growing pains when you've got such a young unit. Can they make the leap quick enough to not hold the team back? Is it lack of talent, or just getting experience and NFL reps?

New England's offensive line is good. The ability to have balance meant the Dolphins couldn't pin their ears back and attack Jones. The Patriots may be better than expected.

Agree with you on Waddle. His explosion is going to add chunk plays.

Honestly, the victory felt very New England like. Hang in there and come up with a big play at the end.
Absolutely spot on. If the oline got a C or even a B what would the RB grade or Tua’s grade be? What about numerous drops by the WRs and the invisibility act by our TEs? Despite what some may think, Tua is subject to criticism, but he shouldn’t shoulder all the blame either. He was under pressure all night and he still managed to lead us to a big win. Things aren’t getting any easier next week vs a much more physical D. Tua will have to throw the ball 30-40+ times and the WRs/TEs will need to be much better for us to have a chance, because I don’t see us being able to effectively run the ball. Pitt had 75 yds rushing vs the Buff D.

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by the front 7 especially considering Davis was out. They put some pressure on Mac and had a couple of questionable calls go the other way. Statistically they'd be looking a whole lot better if that personal foul was a sack and the 'pass' was a strip sack. Ogbah had a few pressures and Eguavoen looked great as a blitzer. Sieler rarely flashes but is a solid end. They do need more from the outside backers....Van Ginkle and Phillips both get pushed around.

Mac is a big kid who can move around in the pocket and doesn't scare easy. Hes got a ways to go but could be a good one.

I guess I wasn't as high on this defense as some around here so it was easier to see the positives. They're going to be a solid unit.
Appreciate the perspective. It’s fair. We got pressure but couldn’t close the deal. Mac did a great job of stepping up in the pocket. We need more pressure up the middle. The rookies, Phillips and Holland got good reps and played well. Both will be factors this season. We did hold them to one TDqnd forced two TOs despite allowing them to go up and down the field on us. Making them settle for FGs is how we won.

At a glance....

Seemed to me like we were out game planned which is surprising. Not the offensive game plan I expected at all. Quick slant to Parker was unstoppable and they only ran it a couple of times. NE used to run this all day long against us with those slot receivers. Seems like we could have used this with multiple receivers (Waddle/Wilson).

And what was the point of starting Jakeem Grant? Albert Wilson and Mike Gesicki were shut down. Lets hope the addition of Fuller this week changes the dynamic of this offense and opens things up.

Defensively they seemed very vanilla against a rookie QB. Saw them rush 3 on 3rd and long and give Jones all day to throw. We also held them to 1 TD which is pretty darn good on the road. Bend don't break defense is still holding.

Seems like people are judging Eichenberg's overall performance on the one play where he gave up a sack? From what I saw he was tripped. It happens. The guy had short notice and a few days during game week to get snaps at LT after playing at LG and RT all off season. Can we not give him a season grade after week 1?

We are still struggling with physical teams on both sides of the ball. Losing Davis on the first series hurt. NE has a top 5 OL so not all that surprised. We just don't match up very well. Very good run offense.

I expect them to get better and learn from the tape but they have a lot of work to do before Buffalo comes to town. Getting a win in NE is huge. Our best chance for a sweep in a long time. We should be better at home next week and I fully expect Flo to get this team ready.

I think I am jaded after seeing NE have a QB fall in their lap and look very good.
We were “out-game-planned” in the opener last year against Cam, if I remember correctly. Looked completely unprepared for Cam using his feet.

Not sure why you’d grade Tua so harshly in the same post where you say our OL was putrid, the WRs got no separation and our TEs were invisible. I’d point out a a player people here seem to love, Josh Allen, threw the ball 51 (that is 24 more passes than Tua had) times for 270 yards today. He averaged 9 yards per completion whereas Tua averaged 12.6 yards per completion. By no means did he play a lights out game. However, there was basically no chance we were going to walk into Foxborough week 1 and just thrash the Patriots.
Yep. It’s always part of the Tua narrative to give him more than his share of the blame and not enough credit. The oline sucked which has a domino effect on everything else. I called it last wk.

Tua had good deep throws over "8 yards" as you are saying.

Waddle & Parker completions went above 30 yards and the waddle drop on 3rd down was above 10 yards.
The pass to Wison was a thing of beauty, right on the money, unfortunately the defender made even a better play.

I hate to even say this because I hate overreacting after one game, but Rousseau was around the ball A LOT yesterday against the Steelers. Whereas Phillips was…invisible.

Feels like a win to me - you haven’t been a fan very long to know all the ways the Pats have beat us the past 20 years?

Beat the home cooking BB is nothing trite
You are correct. Again it’s the anti-MD narrative. I challenge anyone to tell me that wasn’t a big time win in a tough environment. In fact no win is ever a bad win in this league. Btw Zimm, who’s leading the AFCE this morning?

The pass to Wison was a thing of beauty, right on the money, unfortunately the defender made even a better play.
Wilson did Tua no favors on that. If he adjusted, he probably would drawn a PI penalty or caught the ball. Instead, he didn’t attack the ball…which allowed the DB to attack it.

You are correct. Again it’s the anti-MD narrative. I challenge anyone to tell me that wasn’t a big time win in a tough environment. In fact no win is ever a bad win in this league. Btw Zimm, who’s leading the AFCE this morning?

I am not even going to read this threads trash grades what is the point? There FAs were fresh at home and they played close to the vest not to lose

Two teams coaches played not to lose - neither coaches took the reins off their QBs but went conservative

There is deep respect for both Coaches and it showed with all the Underneath passes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom