Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 12 Edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 12 Edition

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Wow. Not the way I thought that one would go. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But…It did. The nightmare is real. Jimmy G breaks his foot in the first quarter? We should win that game 99% of the time. Not a good loss and the grades will reflect that. On to the grades:

QB’s — The Good: A great opening play to Sherfield. A long bomb to Hill. That’s it.

The Bad: Tua’s worst day as a pro IMO. 18 of 33 for 2 TD’s and 2 Picks. Not to mention the meaningless fumble for a TD. Not good enough. Period. I’m not sure what was going on, but Tua was missing throws he normally makes in his sleep. Awful today. I’m guessing the MVP talk is over for awhile. Almost forgot to add Thompson’s Int. Bad.

The Grade: F . A VERY winnable game fell into Tua’s lap…..And he was awful.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had 7 rushes for 30 yards.

The Bad: Horribly under utilized. I’m not sure why we didn’t use these guys more. Especially if your QB is struggling. Regardless, our rushing attack was only good for 33 yards on the ground. Ingold had 15 yards receiving on 3 catches.

The Grade: F . Were they under utilized? Yes….But neither back looked great anyway. Especially in pass blocking.

TE’s: — The Good: Smythe had 2 catches for 21 yards.

The Bad: Gesicki was invisible. Dropped a 4th and 2 Pass. No real help over the middle. Nothing. I’m at the point where, as much as I think he has so much talent, I’m not going to miss Gesicki next year.

The Grade: F . Nowhere near a good enough effort.

WR’s — The Good: Hill was a beast out there. Waddle….Even when hurt scares teams. Sherfield with the 75 yd TD. Good effort by these guys.

The Bad: Not much really. They were the victims of poor QB play.

The Grade: B . They deserved better from the guy under center.

OL — Tua was NOT under pressure all game like in our losses last year. They actually played a decent game

The Bad — Joey Bosa got 3 sacks. No running lanes. While not a horrible game….It definitely wasn’t a good one.

The Grade: D + . This unit needs to be better next week or we’re in Barney. Barney Rubble!! Trouble!!! (Name that movie)

DL — The Good: Well…Christian Wilkins is a monster. Great game by him.

The Bad: We, in general, kept them bottled up for most of the game. Until it came to critical downs. Then we got pushed off the ball. I’ll say this though….There was no complimentary football from our offense today.

The Grade: C . The grade goes mostly to Christian Wilkins.

LB’s — The Good: A lot of pressure on the 7th round backup QB that beat us. However, as with the DL, not when we needed it most.

The Grade : C . What I wouldn’t give to have had a 24 year old Zach Thomas in the middle today.

DB’s — The Good: X with his first pick of the season. Some good pass break ups.

The Bad: Just like the rest of our D, This unit folded like a WalMart lawn chair when we needed a big play.

The Grade: D +. If Rowe just takes 3 steps forward, we stop them on 4th and 1. Ugh.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders didn’t miss. Morstead had 1 63 yarder.

The Bad: Morstead wasn’t great today. Our coverage teams still suck.

Coaching — The Good: The play calling was OK today. The defense had 3 sacks.

The Bad: Again, if your QB is struggling, go to the running game. Nope. Not Mike McD. Not so good. Your Defense can’t stop a 7th round backup QB with almost no NFL experience? Play bump and run?? Nope. Not Boyer. Press and bail again

The Grade: D . In a game we should have had….. Coaching wasn’t that great.

Conclusion: Next week is now a MUST WIN. You might not like that….But it’s the case. I’m not sure 11 - 6 gets you in. It might….But you definitely won’t control your destiny. So….We have to win against the Chargers or we really are in deep Barney.

Gonna be a tough week living here in the Bay Area. I will likely not listen or tune into much sports media here.

Haven't seen the entire game yet either as I had family plans. But sounds like an awful game by Tua. I think we can chalk it up to an aberration, but agree the Chargers game is now a must. Don't want to be 8-5 going to Buffalo.

Something no one has really mentioned. McDaniel is now 0-2 against his former coaching mates, Robert Saleh with the Jets and now Kyle Shanahan. Hope that trend ends quickly.

Wow. Not the way I thought that one would go. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But…It did. The nightmare is real. Jimmy G breaks his foot in the first quarter? We should win that game 99% of the time. Not a good loss and the grades will reflect that. On to the grades:

QB’s — The Good: A great opening play to Sherfield. A long bomb to Hill. That’s it.

The Bad: Tua’s worst day as a pro IMO. 18 of 33 for 2 TD’s and 2 Picks. Not to mention the meaningless fumble for a TD. Not good enough. Period. I’m not sure what was going on, but Tua was missing throws he normally makes in his sleep. Awful today. I’m guessing the MVP talk is over for awhile. Almost forgot to add Thompson’s Int. Bad.

The Bad: Horribly under utilized. I’m not sure why we didn’t use these guys more. Especially if your QB is struggling. Regardless, our rushing attack was only good for 33 yards on the ground. Ingold had 15 yards receiving on 3 catches.

The Grade: F . Were they under utilized? Yes….But neither back looked great anyway. Especially in pass blocking.

The Bad: Gesicki was invisible. Dropped a 4th and 2 Pass. No real help over the middle. Nothing. I’m at the point where, as much as I think he has so much talent, I’m not going to miss Gesicki next year.

WR’s — The Good: Hill was a beast out there. Waddle….Even when hurt scares teams. Sherfield with the 75 yd TD. Good effort by these guys.

OL — Tua was NOT under pressure all game like in our losses last year. They actually played a decent game

The Bad — Joey Bosa got 3 sacks. No running lanes. While not a horrible game….It definitely wasn’t a good one.

The Grade: D + . This unit needs to be better next week or we’re in Barney. Barney Rubble!! Trouble!!! (Name that movie)

The Bad: We, in general, kept them bottled up for most of the game. Until it came to critical downs. Then we got pushed off the ball. I’ll say this though….There was no complimentary football from our offense today.

LB’s — The Good: A lot of pressure on the 7th round backup QB that beat us. However, as with the DL, not when we needed it most.

The Grade : C . What I wouldn’t give to have had a 24 year old Zach Thomas in the middle today.

The Bad: Just like the rest of our D, This unit folded like a WalMart lawn chair when we needed a big play.

The Grade: D +. If Rowe just takes 3 steps forward, we stop them on 4th and 1. Ugh.

The Bad: Again, if your QB is struggling, go to the running game. Nope. Not Mike McD. Not so good. Your Defense can’t stop a 7th round backup QB with almost no NFL experience? Play bump and run?? Nope. Not Boyer. Press and bail again

Conclusion: Next week is now a MUST WIN. You might not like that….But it’s the case. I’m not sure 11 - 6 gets you in. It might….But you definitely won’t control your destiny. So….We have to win against the Chargers or we really are in deep Barney.
Too harsh on tua and too nice on WRs...how many key drops were there? I give Tua a D+ and WRs a C+

There are VERY few scenarios where we don’t make the Playoffs at 10-7 let alone 11-6.

We need 11 wins just to make sure

Make it happen guys
I agree. 10-7 with wins over Chargers and Pats is 100% a berth though. Would have to be those two teams if we were to only win two more.

Gotta disagree with a few points.

Tua got it together at the end, I know, small consolation, but he had better play than just those 2 plays. He had several passes dropped, including some very clutch throws late in the game. I'd still give him a low grade too, he had a bad game. One pick was due to the receiver falling down with the ball on the way, the other was all Tua (unless it was one of those cut-point misunderstandings, see below). I didn't recognize today's Tua for most of the game, and I didn't like it...but it's just one game.

And the receivers, a B? Come on now. They messed up as many plays as Tua did...and yes they deserved better from their QB, but their QB deserved better from them as well. Fairness would be grading both QB and WRs with the same grade. It was pointed out after the game as well, by Tua, there were some confusion on cut-points by the WRs, which also made things worse.

And X's first pick should've been a PBU for 20 yards better field position. Players with a "team" mentality do that.

Agreed on everything else. Was just a BAD game by what looked like an over-confident team and coaching staff, coupled with players (several) not being up to the moment. Lots of lessons to be learned...coaching staff on down.

So wait, Zim, you think the Chargers and Patriots are both going to win out and finish 11-6? Otherwise, I have a hard time seeing how 11-6 doesn’t get the Dolphins a playoff spot.

I don’t agree with many of your grades today.

Just to be clear, the Dolphins only need 2 more wins to make the playoffs

Chargers game to me is 50/50. It's primetime Sunday night in LA and I'm PRAYING Armstead is back. Tua looks so much more comfortable with Armstead.

Every game outside the Bills game is winnable (Probability would dictate we would split with the Bills, hard to beat them twice in the same year)

Packers, Jets, and Patriots are all very winnable games

We own the Patriots. As for the Jets, Mike White is not good (don't let his stats fool you, he played two of the worst pass defenses in football)

They lost a big opportunity. The refs really screwed over the dolphins with some insane one sided calls. I don’t give Tua a F tho he had a solid second half….probably a D+\C-.

I am pretty sad they called that incomplete catch on Gesicki catch really wanted to see more in that drive…

It didn't really look like that was a drop by Gesicki. Ball hit the defnenders elbow or something, didn't it? Gesiciki never really had it until it was on the ground.

People are being way too chicken little on here. This was the #1 D in the NFL and Tua was driving for the win with three minutes left despite his error field first half. Gesicki catches that 4th down pass and Miami was scoring. I had no doubt in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom