Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 12 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 12 Edition

People are being way too chicken little on here. This was the #1 D in the NFL and Tua was driving for the win with three minutes left despite his error field first half. Gesicki catches that 4th down pass and Miami was scoring. I had no doubt in my mind.

I have no doubt if defense makes a stop Tua drives us for the win. He didn’t play well but at some point the defense needs to step up and bail him out in games like this. Can’t be 100% dependent on how Tua plays. Sure qb play makes a large part of the game but a team like the jets have been winning all year despite bad qb play, just a few times would be nice.

Wow. Not the way I thought that one would go. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But…It did. The nightmare is real. Jimmy G breaks his foot in the first quarter? We should win that game 99% of the time. Not a good loss and the grades will reflect that. On to the grades:

QB’s — The Good: A great opening play to Sherfield. A long bomb to Hill. That’s it.

The Bad: Tua’s worst day as a pro IMO. 18 of 33 for 2 TD’s and 2 Picks. Not to mention the meaningless fumble for a TD. Not good enough. Period. I’m not sure what was going on, but Tua was missing throws he normally makes in his sleep. Awful today. I’m guessing the MVP talk is over for awhile. Almost forgot to add Thompson’s Int. Bad.

The Grade: F . A VERY winnable game fell into Tua’s lap…..And he was awful.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had 7 rushes for 30 yards.

The Bad: Horribly under utilized. I’m not sure why we didn’t use these guys more. Especially if your QB is struggling. Regardless, our rushing attack was only good for 33 yards on the ground. Ingold had 15 yards receiving on 3 catches.

The Grade: F . Were they under utilized? Yes….But neither back looked great anyway. Especially in pass blocking.

TE’s: — The Good: Smythe had 2 catches for 21 yards.

The Bad: Gesicki was invisible. Dropped a 4th and 2 Pass. No real help over the middle. Nothing. I’m at the point where, as much as I think he has so much talent, I’m not going to miss Gesicki next year.

The Grade: F . Nowhere near a good enough effort.

WR’s — The Good: Hill was a beast out there. Waddle….Even when hurt scares teams. Sherfield with the 75 yd TD. Good effort by these guys.

The Bad: Not much really. They were the victims of poor QB play.

The Grade: B . They deserved better from the guy under center.

OL — Tua was NOT under pressure all game like in our losses last year. They actually played a decent game

The Bad — Joey Bosa got 3 sacks. No running lanes. While not a horrible game….It definitely wasn’t a good one.

The Grade: D + . This unit needs to be better next week or we’re in Barney. Barney Rubble!! Trouble!!! (Name that movie)

DL — The Good: Well…Christian Wilkins is a monster. Great game by him.

The Bad: We, in general, kept them bottled up for most of the game. Until it came to critical downs. Then we got pushed off the ball. I’ll say this though….There was no complimentary football from our offense today.

The Grade: C . The grade goes mostly to Christian Wilkins.

LB’s — The Good: A lot of pressure on the 7th round backup QB that beat us. However, as with the DL, not when we needed it most.

The Grade : C . What I wouldn’t give to have had a 24 year old Zach Thomas in the middle today.

DB’s — The Good: X with his first pick of the season. Some good pass break ups.

The Bad: Just like the rest of our D, This unit folded like a WalMart lawn chair when we needed a big play.

The Grade: D +. If Rowe just takes 3 steps forward, we stop them on 4th and 1. Ugh.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders didn’t miss. Morstead had 1 63 yarder.

The Bad: Morstead wasn’t great today. Our coverage teams still suck.

Coaching — The Good: The play calling was OK today. The defense had 3 sacks.

The Bad: Again, if your QB is struggling, go to the running game. Nope. Not Mike McD. Not so good. Your Defense can’t stop a 7th round backup QB with almost no NFL experience? Play bump and run?? Nope. Not Boyer. Press and bail again

The Grade: D . In a game we should have had….. Coaching wasn’t that great.

Conclusion: Next week is now a MUST WIN. You might not like that….But it’s the case. I’m not sure 11 - 6 gets you in. It might….But you definitely won’t control your destiny. So….We have to win against the Chargers or we really are in deep Barney.
I completely agree with everything you typed!!!

As usual Zimmerman offers concise and real commentary and grades. He was particularly astute on our OL, who played better than expected.
I think the entire team was so excited coming in, that we pressed the entire game and weren’t able to settle our nerves. This can be a painful but valuable learning experience, for the entire team but specifically Tua and Coach McDaniel.

It was ours for the taking and we failed. Time to regroup and unleash hell on the Bolts.

Wow. Not the way I thought that one would go. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But…It did. The nightmare is real. Jimmy G breaks his foot in the first quarter? We should win that game 99% of the time. Not a good loss and the grades will reflect that. On to the grades:

QB’s — The Good: A great opening play to Sherfield. A long bomb to Hill. That’s it.

The Bad: Tua’s worst day as a pro IMO. 18 of 33 for 2 TD’s and 2 Picks. Not to mention the meaningless fumble for a TD. Not good enough. Period. I’m not sure what was going on, but Tua was missing throws he normally makes in his sleep. Awful today. I’m guessing the MVP talk is over for awhile. Almost forgot to add Thompson’s Int. Bad.

The Grade: F . A VERY winnable game fell into Tua’s lap…..And he was awful.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had 7 rushes for 30 yards.

The Bad: Horribly under utilized. I’m not sure why we didn’t use these guys more. Especially if your QB is struggling. Regardless, our rushing attack was only good for 33 yards on the ground. Ingold had 15 yards receiving on 3 catches.

The Grade: F . Were they under utilized? Yes….But neither back looked great anyway. Especially in pass blocking.

TE’s: — The Good: Smythe had 2 catches for 21 yards.

The Bad: Gesicki was invisible. Dropped a 4th and 2 Pass. No real help over the middle. Nothing. I’m at the point where, as much as I think he has so much talent, I’m not going to miss Gesicki next year.

The Grade: F . Nowhere near a good enough effort.

WR’s — The Good: Hill was a beast out there. Waddle….Even when hurt scares teams. Sherfield with the 75 yd TD. Good effort by these guys.

The Bad: Not much really. They were the victims of poor QB play.

The Grade: B . They deserved better from the guy under center.

OL — Tua was NOT under pressure all game like in our losses last year. They actually played a decent game

The Bad — Joey Bosa got 3 sacks. No running lanes. While not a horrible game….It definitely wasn’t a good one.

The Grade: D + . This unit needs to be better next week or we’re in Barney. Barney Rubble!! Trouble!!! (Name that movie)

DL — The Good: Well…Christian Wilkins is a monster. Great game by him.

The Bad: We, in general, kept them bottled up for most of the game. Until it came to critical downs. Then we got pushed off the ball. I’ll say this though….There was no complimentary football from our offense today.

The Grade: C . The grade goes mostly to Christian Wilkins.

LB’s — The Good: A lot of pressure on the 7th round backup QB that beat us. However, as with the DL, not when we needed it most.

The Grade : C . What I wouldn’t give to have had a 24 year old Zach Thomas in the middle today.

DB’s — The Good: X with his first pick of the season. Some good pass break ups.

The Bad: Just like the rest of our D, This unit folded like a WalMart lawn chair when we needed a big play.

The Grade: D +. If Rowe just takes 3 steps forward, we stop them on 4th and 1. Ugh.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders didn’t miss. Morstead had 1 63 yarder.

The Bad: Morstead wasn’t great today. Our coverage teams still suck.

Coaching — The Good: The play calling was OK today. The defense had 3 sacks.

The Bad: Again, if your QB is struggling, go to the running game. Nope. Not Mike McD. Not so good. Your Defense can’t stop a 7th round backup QB with almost no NFL experience? Play bump and run?? Nope. Not Boyer. Press and bail again

The Grade: D . In a game we should have had….. Coaching wasn’t that great.

Conclusion: Next week is now a MUST WIN. You might not like that….But it’s the case. I’m not sure 11 - 6 gets you in. It might….But you definitely won’t control your destiny. So….We have to win against the Chargers or we really are in deep Barney.

Movie- Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

The coaching was much worse in my opinion. Boyer is just dreadful. I don't see him coaching a good game when we come up against the better teams in the league, personally. We're consistently beaten when it matters back there. A rookie 3rd string QB and he's out there looking like an experienced, comfortable pro. Always seems to happen against us. But when we send out rookie third stringers, they look like, well, Skylar Thompson.

No, for me, the coaching was much worse. Going for it on 4th down on our own 18? Dumb, dumb call. Sure, it worked out this time. But you play the odds, and that was utter stupidity. Needed to lean much more on the run game, with Tua stinking the joint up. Sure, SF were doing well against hte run, but you have to stick with it to keep them honest.

I don't agree with those who said you were too harsh on Tua. He was utterly dreadful when it mattered. Had he even been serviceable in the first half, I think we win that game. Missing on that pass to Wilson, which was a clear TD, is indefensible. He was consistently airmailing passes. Very odd.

But I'd hopefully chalk it down to one bad game. I think he'll rebound. Huge game next week.

The Luster on MM is wearing off real fast for me. The crazy ass decisions he keeps making game after game are inexcusable.
He went for it, on 4th down inside his own 20 in a one score game, playing against a 7 th rd backup with basically zero NFL game experience, just WTF???

Going for it from your own 20 was absolute stupidity. I've never seen it even tried because it makes no sense from a risk reward standpoint. You can bet your bottom dollar Don Shula would have punted. I don't care that it worked. I hope he never pulls that kind of desperate crap again.

We got destroyed on 3rd downs going 0-7 while letting the Niners stay on the field way too often. Great defenses know how to get off the field, ours does not. It ended up giving the San Fran offense 79 plays to our 41 plays..hard to win like that against good teams.

As usual Zimmerman offers concise and real commentary and grades. He was particularly astute on our OL, who played better than expected.
I think the entire team was so excited coming in, that we pressed the entire game and weren’t able to settle our nerves. This can be a painful but valuable learning experience, for the entire team but specifically Tua and Coach McDaniel.

It was ours for the taking and we failed. Time to regroup and unleash hell on the Bolts.
Yeah he’s the best at Fins commentary

Tua looked way off all game long.
I think McDaniel out thought himself today with some strange calls at key times.
Gesicki is gone for me now.
As bad as we played we were in the game until the end and now the Chargers game ahead will provide Tua the chance to rebound and show the doubters wrong.

Back
Top Bottom