Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 12 Edition | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 12 Edition

10 wins and we will be in. I’ll agree it’s a huge game but if we are 8-6 going into the Christmas game we need to win 2 out of 3. And honestly if the 2 were the Jets and Pats we will be in. The Jets and Pats play tough schedules yet too. Good thing Dolphins have going for them is we have tiebreakers over Browns, Patriots for now, Ravens, Steelers, and Bills for now. Also we have a good conference record. If we win this game we are all but a lock but even if we lose we are in a good spot going forward. We need to keep winning though because if we don’t win division that 5 seed would be important to grab to play Tennessee who will be the 4 seed and are definitely the least scariest team that will make the postseason in the AFC

Any tackle in the NFL is a dangerous play ffs! It's a mental sport.

But that wasn't a foul. Were there bad calls on the night? Yeah. Was that one? No. I mean, at the end of the day, unless you want flag football, they have to tackle the QB. They tackled him at the arse. That's not a foul. Is it dangerous? course it is.
73B69208-F7AB-4FC1-9152-7961B35CC4C6.jpeg
Helmet hit his butt first, sure. That looks like a laid out dive with hands on his knees and shoulder pads going into the back of his knees to me. Tua is short; hit a guy like Allen or Herbert at that height and there would be a sea of yellow.

I'm not sure if Boyer is the man for the DC job, but we'd better damn well upgrade those ILB positions.

Why the hell would we run so much zone when Purdy boy got in there? We're not very good at it. Cover 0, baby. Cover 0.
LB and tackle need updrading

In spit4e of the refs, this was a winnable game. I blame the players/coaches FAR MORE than the refs.
I agree. It's much more the coaching and the players. But the refs were a factor and they shouldn't be. I'm pretty annoyed with the defense yesterday as well because we must be the easiest team to move the ball on in the world. A 7th round pick feasts all day on our pathetic defense and runs up 33 points and time of possession was insane in their favor. It's because our offense goes 3 and out and then we get driven on for an hour. This defense can't get off the field on 3rd down and in do or die situations they always seem to die. Tua's brilliance has elevated the team to many victories but on a day where he is less than brilliant it's a loser. Meanwhile Tua had 295 yards with 2/2, not an awful stat line on an awful day.

View attachment 124643
Helmet hit his butt first, sure. That looks like a laid out dive with hands on his knees and shoulder pads going into the back of his knees to me. Tua is short; hit a guy like Allen or Herbert at that height and there would be a sea of yellow.
It clearly should have been a flag on the play.

i wouldnt bump the RBs down its not their fault.SF is a fraud i said this elsewhere.IF Tua was at a minimum decent we win.
**** SF.
Boyer and our ST coach blows

I believe we have B to B plus talent on this defense and a B minus coach.
That was a forward pass that was called a strip sack but we still would have lost at that point.
Tua was off until the last quarter so yep he owned much of this loss.
That bad call on Hunt on holding was a huge momentum swing.
Same on a Kadou on PI on 3rd down.
I don't blame MM on the 4 the down play in the 4 th qtr because at that time points were at a huge premium. The 49 ers should have punted on 4th down but went for it for the same reason. The 49ers played hard on defense in a different game may have been called out by the refs but even with that this was a winnable game. Tua late showing up for this game and Boyer not being able to stop the runs all season is are a issue

My grades. As a disclaimer if I criticize Tua or McDaniel, it does not mean I think they are structurally awful, it just means they had a bad day. However, the discussion of the defense and Josh Boyer I think is a structural issue and goes beyond having just a bad day. I will also say it is not that we lost that pisses me off (I thought we might lose), it is the how and why we lost that pisses me off. Makes me wonder if the team has what it takes to win big high pressure games against better teams. If they don't, the better record and the fun offense is just lipstick on a pig. Granted a much better product than the last 20 years, but still not good enough. I want championships!

McDaniel: F. Despite his comments that the game was not about him, McDaniel sure coached like it was. Seemed like a terribly narcissistic gameplan designed to show his old boss how smart he was with regard to all the fancy plays in the passing game. Interesting that the old run game coordinator didn't even try to commit to the run. Especially when Tua was struggling and was all sped up. Mike, this is the NFL and not a video game. Sometimes it is OK to try and control the ball and win ugly. Especially when the other team has a 7th round rookie playing. Found the playcalling terrible, the decision making terrible (going for it on 4th), and game management terrible. There is a difference between being an OC and a head coach. Great OC, but the head coach has to act like a head coach as well and manage the game, and also involve yourself with the defense.

Josh Boyer and the Defense: F minus minus. That was embarrassing. 7th round rookie with no reps. Just take away Deebo and McCaffrey, not complicated. And teach your players to tackle. McDaniel going for it on 4th down from our own 19 with a lot of time left on the clock tells you McDaniel had zero confidence in the defense to stop the 49ers. That decision was asinine. You miss the conversion, the game is over. You punt, all you have to do is stop the rookie 7th round QB, and you get the ball back. If we have this little confidence in the defense, why did we trade for Bradley Chubb (quite the contrast between him and Bosa), why does Boyer have a job, and why does McDaniel absolve himself of all responsibility for the defense and leave Boyer to scheme the whole game plan by himself as well as handle all of the adjustments? I put this on McDaniel too for ignoring that side of the ball. Again, you are now a head coach, and not just an OC. As the head coach, you need to involve yourself with the defense.

Tua: F. It is not that he was bad that bothers me. It happens. It was the why he was bad that has me concerned. He seemed scared and nervous. It was a choke in the big moment. All the high and in-accurate throws are the giveaway. High balls are what happen when you are nervous. I think he was all sped up. Armstead was out, and he probably got into his own head all week thinking he was going to be under constant duress, and psyched himself out. Had good protection, and was missing throws and making bad reads. Granted I am speculating, but it just feels that way. Tua just choked in the moment. The elite QBs do it under pressure, and under adversity. Look at Burrow for example (thanks Flores). That is what it takes to win Super Bowls. Does Tua have it or not? We will find out down the stretch, especially against Buffalo in the cold.
Tua and McDaniel were not fearful/nervous so much as too excited and "amped up". The entire team was. They never "settled down" as a unit. I've seen this before in sports, business and far more stressful situations.
No doubt this was a wasted opportunity, but I also never thought we would win out this season. Simple odds are against it. Now is the time to refocus, regroup and go on another long victory run.

To my fellow Finheaven brothers (not the lemmings), please remember that Tua typically comes back from a bad game (and bad throws) with a good one. I expect him to rise to the occasion against the Bolts (who make us look healthy).

The next game will show if we have evolved in the mental toughness aspect which is crucial in taking that next step to playoff success.

I'm not sure if Boyer is the man for the DC job, but we'd better damn well upgrade those ILB positions.

Why the hell would we run so much zone when Purdy boy got in there? We're not very good at it. Cover 0, baby. Cover 0.
Maybe we don't have the man coverage skills for the RB's? Also pretty sure they ran either cover 0 or heavy blitz and Purdy showed he could defeat it with a quick screen...book is out on how to defeat that blitz

I agree. It's much more the coaching and the players. But the refs were a factor and they shouldn't be. I'm pretty annoyed with the defense yesterday as well because we must be the easiest team to move the ball on in the world. A 7th round pick feasts all day on our pathetic defense and runs up 33 points and time of possession was insane in their favor. It's because our offense goes 3 and out and then we get driven on for an hour. This defense can't get off the field on 3rd down and in do or die situations they always seem to die. Tua's brilliance has elevated the team to many victories but on a day where he is less than brilliant it's a loser. Meanwhile Tua had 295 yards with 2/2, not an awful stat line on an awful day.

A few of us have mentioned SF's use of flat (outlet) passes to beat Miami's D. From hour to hour I swing from Boyer making no adjustments to coverage being abysmal. It wasn't just missed tackles. It was no one within 20 yds of the receiver.
I'm more forgiving of the D. Yes, they played bad. Yes, tackling was a problem. But, having played a LOT of D, AND having been on the field a lot because of an inept D, I emphasize with the D being tired in 4Q. And on one SF FG, they took over ~Miami's 25 and the D held them to 3. Can't completely blame the D for that, And Boyer's lack of attacking an unprepared backup was inexcusable. As poorly as they played, the O scoring 17 was a significant contributing factor.

They lost a big opportunity. The refs really screwed over the dolphins with some insane one sided calls. I don’t give Tua a F tho he had a solid second half….probably a D+\C-.

I am pretty sad they called that incomplete catch on Gesicki catch really wanted to see more in that drive…
I’m never confident throwing to geseicki on 4th down, he’s good for spectacular catches but I’ve seen the ball bounce off of his face mask too many times

Back
Top Bottom