Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 17 Edition | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 17 Edition

Pass blocking was good? Tua had a rough start but you can't give him an F when everyone around him completely sucked! The titans only rushed 4 the entire game and were still getting massive pressure. Tua had to throw into max coverage every play when recievers couldn't get any separation. There were multiple drops and guys getting interfered with like every play. Hence the 4th and 11 non call that sealed the game for ten.
Pretty much this. I didn’t watch the game, but from some of the clips I’ve seen, to say that line held up is false. When they’re fielding 7 DBs on the field and only rushing 4 and still getting pressure that’s not a good day for the line. Also from what another poster told me the WRs had to stay and help chip the rushers which would add another issue with the line. When the only receiver that can separate is waddle and you’ve game planned to throw down field more in that type of weather that’s a recipe for disaster. Should’ve kept feeding Duke and Lindsay, especially with the way Tua was playing.

I just don't understand the trick plays, putting in Brisset on 4 and 1 (or ever) and throwing deep, and running constant blitzes when they were running the ball all day, causing big runs.

This was a bad day for Tua, but a worse day for coaching all around.

jump to 4:25 how Tua grips the ball

If you think things can't get worse it is only because you lack imagination. These are the Dolphins. Next year being worse than this year is the default scenario.
In our opener next year, if that team is getting pressure rushing 3 like the Patriots did this year….Grier and Flores should be fired and executed immediately.

Well….It looks like maybe the 7 game win streak was a little fraudulent. If we’re being honest with ourselves, we were never a legitimate playoff team. It was nice to be in it near the end, but we just didn’t have the horses and that was very evident today. A slow track, cold weather and rain was not going to help our game at all. Meanwhile, Tennessee was made for a game like today. It showed. On to the grades:

QB — F : He picked the absolute worst game to have his worst game. Multiple fumbles. 18 of 38 for 205 and a pick. He had trouble handling the wet ball. I mean….Pretty much the worst day that we hoped Tua wouldn’t have. The Tua detractors are going to have a field day and rightfully so. This was troubling as a Dolphins fan. Period.

RB’s — C - : Duke Johnson ran well today and had 49 yards rushing on 7 carries. Add in 16 more yards on 2 catches and that’s not a bad day at all. My problem was that we didn’t use him enough today. Especially in that weather. Gaskin added another 23 yards in a fill in role. Overall, not too bad by this unit. Should have been used more.

TE’s — D : So…. We don’t target Gesicki at all in the first quarter, then we do and we actually move the ball. Shocking. Add in Smythe’s production and you get 7 catches for 88 yards from these guys. Again…In this weather the TE’s should have got more plays in an ideal offense. The negatives with this group was the lack of separation all day and a few drops that hurt.

WR’s — F : WTF with this group. Awful. Waddle was blanketed all day….So you think someone could get some space? Anyone? Parker had 4 catches for 46 yards but was on a different playbook than Tua all day. Waddle ended up with 3 catches for 47 yards….But he was bracketed the whole game. It’s funny how going into training camp this was looked at as a strength on this team. Nothing could be further from the truth.

OL — D + : OK…..The good news is that we are 1 game away from ending the Jessie Davis era in Miami. He got walked a few times today. Austin Jackson again was not much better. The other good news is they did open some holes today and this wasn’t their worst pass protection day today. But it still wasn’t good. Regardless, Tua cannot blame his bad day on these guys.

DL — F : If you get gashed for 198 yards on the ground, you’re not getting a passing grade from me. No way. Add to that the lack of pressure on Tannehill and this is a solid F. It was a bad field and footing wasn’t good. That played into it. No matter. A bad day all around.

LB’s — D - : Again….a 198 yard rushing performance by the Titans doesn’t look good for these guys. Baker was active and had our only sack. He basically saved these guys from an F.

DB’s — F : Our inability to cover a TE haunted us today. Typically this is the LB’s responsibility. Not for us….We left that in the hands of the DB’s. It bit us in the *** in a bad way. Brandon Jones was awful today and missed on both TE touchdowns. I love watching Holland play football….But even he couldn’t help this grade.

ST’s — F : By far the worst graded unit in my book today. Palardy had a couple clutch 36 yard punts. 😐 Awful. Holland should have fair caught the one punt that ended up at our 2. No return game today. Sanders missed a long one. Just bad everywhere by these guys.

Coaching and Front Office — F : The Special Teams guys: We’re Zim’s lowest graded unit!! The Coaches: Hold our Beer. Yep. This was a clinic on how not to coach a game your team needs in bad weather. I guess it would be less typing for me to list the good coaching decisions : ………. There were none. Blitz Zero defense? Nope. Long field goal attempt? Yep…On a horrible field. 2 stupid trick play attempts? Yep. I could go on for another hour. Let’s just say this was not Flo’s best day. As for the front office….We aren’t making the playoffs this year and I put the blame on Chris Grier. If we even had a middle of the pack OL we’re challenging for the division. It’s sad to me that he’s going to still be here next year.
agree on all excpet maybe the RB's get a better grade.. maybe the fact the our coaches can't coach shouldn't hurt the RB grade. lol
excellent write up as usual. happy new year

First time I agreed with every grade
It’s evident that the D also needs to be upgraded, not a massive upgrade but we still need more pieces
Offense, we need a complete overhaul

Well….It looks like maybe the 7 game win streak was a little fraudulent. If we’re being honest with ourselves, we were never a legitimate playoff team. It was nice to be in it near the end, but we just didn’t have the horses and that was very evident today. A slow track, cold weather and rain was not going to help our game at all. Meanwhile, Tennessee was made for a game like today. It showed. On to the grades:

QB — F : He picked the absolute worst game to have his worst game. Multiple fumbles. 18 of 38 for 205 and a pick. He had trouble handling the wet ball. I mean….Pretty much the worst day that we hoped Tua wouldn’t have. The Tua detractors are going to have a field day and rightfully so. This was troubling as a Dolphins fan. Period.

RB’s — C - : Duke Johnson ran well today and had 49 yards rushing on 7 carries. Add in 16 more yards on 2 catches and that’s not a bad day at all. My problem was that we didn’t use him enough today. Especially in that weather. Gaskin added another 23 yards in a fill in role. Overall, not too bad by this unit. Should have been used more.

TE’s — D : So…. We don’t target Gesicki at all in the first quarter, then we do and we actually move the ball. Shocking. Add in Smythe’s production and you get 7 catches for 88 yards from these guys. Again…In this weather the TE’s should have got more plays in an ideal offense. The negatives with this group was the lack of separation all day and a few drops that hurt.

WR’s — F : WTF with this group. Awful. Waddle was blanketed all day….So you think someone could get some space? Anyone? Parker had 4 catches for 46 yards but was on a different playbook than Tua all day. Waddle ended up with 3 catches for 47 yards….But he was bracketed the whole game. It’s funny how going into training camp this was looked at as a strength on this team. Nothing could be further from the truth.

OL — D + : OK…..The good news is that we are 1 game away from ending the Jessie Davis era in Miami. He got walked a few times today. Austin Jackson again was not much better. The other good news is they did open some holes today and this wasn’t their worst pass protection day today. But it still wasn’t good. Regardless, Tua cannot blame his bad day on these guys.

DL — F : If you get gashed for 198 yards on the ground, you’re not getting a passing grade from me. No way. Add to that the lack of pressure on Tannehill and this is a solid F. It was a bad field and footing wasn’t good. That played into it. No matter. A bad day all around.

LB’s — D - : Again….a 198 yard rushing performance by the Titans doesn’t look good for these guys. Baker was active and had our only sack. He basically saved these guys from an F.

DB’s — F : Our inability to cover a TE haunted us today. Typically this is the LB’s responsibility. Not for us….We left that in the hands of the DB’s. It bit us in the *** in a bad way. Brandon Jones was awful today and missed on both TE touchdowns. I love watching Holland play football….But even he couldn’t help this grade.

ST’s — F : By far the worst graded unit in my book today. Palardy had a couple clutch 36 yard punts. 😐 Awful. Holland should have fair caught the one punt that ended up at our 2. No return game today. Sanders missed a long one. Just bad everywhere by these guys.

Coaching and Front Office — F : The Special Teams guys: We’re Zim’s lowest graded unit!! The Coaches: Hold our Beer. Yep. This was a clinic on how not to coach a game your team needs in bad weather. I guess it would be less typing for me to list the good coaching decisions : ………. There were none. Blitz Zero defense? Nope. Long field goal attempt? Yep…On a horrible field. 2 stupid trick play attempts? Yep. I could go on for another hour. Let’s just say this was not Flo’s best day. As for the front office….We aren’t making the playoffs this year and I put the blame on Chris Grier. If we even had a middle of the pack OL we’re challenging for the division. It’s sad to me that he’s going to still be here next year.
I told everyone before the season started that our WRs room was still garbage. No one believed me because we drafted Waddle and brought in Fuller. Lmao.

agree on all excpet maybe the RB's get a better grade.. maybe the fact the our coaches can't coach shouldn't hurt the RB grade. lol
excellent write up as usual. happy new year
Thanks Tommy….Happy New Year Brother

Are there any Advanced Stats guys that have stats regarding Tua's accuracy and how it's impacted by his time to throw? I swear sometimes it looks like he's more accurate when he has less time, but maybe it's just my eyes that are deceiving me.

The D was overrated last year and during this run also. It was due mainly to facing crappy qbs. The D still needs lots of pieces like the O.
Yes, it was overrated. The critical statement is the one coaches repeat over and over. Be how your are!! The defense went 1-7 until the defensive players had a mini-revolt asking Boyer to go back to the cover zero. In the most important game, Boyer and Coach Flo emulated queezy Joe. They got scared of their own identity. They did not bring the zero pressure. If RT crushes you when you go zero, then you back off. Refusing to try it is a blueprint for what we all experienced. This defense plays best when it pressures the line.

I put this loss on two things: Tua’s horrible performance and the defensive game plan.

I told everyone before the season started that our WRs room was still garbage. No one believed me because we drafted Waddle and brought in Fuller. Lmao.
I was saying the same thing. Even after taking waddle, EVERY reciever on our roster needed to be replaced!

I think I was extremely disappointed with the Special Teams unit the most. Missed FG, crappy punts, returners not fielding punts, letting them roll by and pin back an already bad offense.

I didn't like any of Miami's FA signings.
  • Will Fuller, WR.
  • Jacoby Brissett, QB.
  • Matt Skura, C.
  • Justin Coleman, CB.
  • Adam Butler, DT.
  • Robert Foster, WR.
  • Adam Pankey, OT.
  • Malcolm Brown, RB.
awful awful

Back
Top Bottom