Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 5 Edition | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 5 Edition

I was super disappointed with the defense especially the Secondary. But after a few hours and calming down a bit I noticed.

Davis - 2 catches 38 yards
Wilson - 3 catches 27 yards
Uzomah - 2 catches 12 yards.

The majority of their passing offense was

Hall - 2 catches 100 yards. Our problem was more missed tackles and Iggy taking out Baker that led to the majority of their offense rather than overall bad secondary play.

I was super disappointed with the defense especially the Secondary. But after a few hours and calming down a bit I noticed.

Davis - 2 catches 38 yards
Wilson - 3 catches 27 yards
Uzomah - 2 catches 12 yards.

The majority of their passing offense was

Hall - 2 catches 100 yards. Our problem was more missed tackles and Iggy taking out Baker that led to the majority of their offense rather than overall bad secondary play.
Miami has had problems covering the flats and RB's coming out of the backfield. The Jets simply took advantage.

Thompson does deserve a better grade. His pass protection wasn’t great and he was victimized by some flat out drops by open receivers. His pre snap reads were bad and he does hold onto the ball too long. He is also our only QB that can take a hit and not leave injured. I mean that hit on Bridgewater was a clean shot by a CB but didn’t look like a knock out punch.
Our D is terribly over rated and the lack of athleticism from our LB combined with zero pressure from our front four does not bode well as the season rolls along.
It wasn`t a knockout hit , if not for this stupid new concussion protocol rule he would have been back in .

IMHO the fact that we had so many penalties showed that we were nervous and ill-prepared coming in. There were many factors in play, but it doesn't matter. The result was an undisciplined team who couldn't overcome the adversities of the day regardless of who was on the field.

I still have faith in our coach and team. This is an opportunity to show what we are really made of.

Crowd teams just don't fare well as road favorites. That would be my summary. I realize the All-22 types don't appreciate generalities like that, but it holds up better than their personnel and matchup obsession.

The disappointing aspect was that we allowed Zach Wilson to repeatedly thrive on the same type of throw, the line drives toward the intermediate sideline. Those are poor designs and really should be taken away with ease. Notice that Wilson even defaulted to an intermediate to semi-deep sideline throw on the 4th and 1 call. It failed.

The Jets obviously anticipated that our cornerback injuries would make those throws available. Credit to them but I was not impressed with Zach Wilson. He is now using the same trajectory almost every time, a harsh trajectory. That is very familiar among young quarterbacks who have experienced turnover adversity early in their careers. They enter the league relaxed but once their college-type loop throws are being picked off in the NFL, they rationalize to turn into dart throwers.

That is Zach Wilson now. He has nowhere near the variety of pace and loft that he displayed at BYU. The line drives worked for him today but unless he relaxes and expands his repertoire he's going to have one third down failure after another and lots of stretches like the first 3 quarters against the Steelers.

The good news for the Dolphins is that they catch Minnesota in a very vulnerable spot. That's a Crowd team with an extremely mediocre YPPA Differential and now traveling amidst a winning streak. They have won 3 straight despite allowing 22+ each time.

Stopped reading after you said inferior opponent. They have more talent and are a better team. They have depth and they are a better team. Just admit it, I did. It is what it is
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think they are better.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't think they are better.
I’m not going to crown any team as better when they’re beating a Dolphins team playing their third string QB. Good for them, but that doesn’t make them world beaters.

Last edited:
This team loses next week and they go from top of the league to middle of the pack in virtually no time. Just like that they go from potentially being the first Dolphins team to win 12 in a season in over thirty years to just another September flash in the pan. It’s happened quite often.

This team loses next week and they go from top of the league to middle of the pack in virtually no time. Just like that they go from potentially being the first Dolphins team to win 12 in a season in over thirty years to just another September flash in the pan. It’s happened quite often.
We go to the bottom tier of teams. We need to get healthy now.

Miami has had problems covering the flats and RB's coming out of the backfield. The Jets simply took advantage.

That's because Miami has a bottom 5 LB unit in the NFL. They are terrible and have been for years. I don't know what the staff expected when they re-signed the EXACT same guys that couldn't cover last year.

This was a big loss to an inferior division opponent. The disappointment is complete. I can’t name one unit on this team that played even decent today and the grades will reflect that. On to the grades:

QB — The Good: Thompson had a couple nice throws. I mean….He’s a rookie making his first start. He did OK.

The Bad: Thompson looked like a rookie today. He looked confused pre-snap on a ton of plays. While he did OK for a rookie. He wasn’t good by any stretch of the imagination. Teddy Bridgewater played one play and had zero pre-snap awareness on that play. I guess he didn’t think that Gardner might blitz there? Regardless, another bad start for this team and an early hole we had to try to overcome because of a poor pre-snap read by a below average QB.

The Grade: F. Awful performance led by a horrible day by our QB’s.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had 113 Yards on 18 carries. That’s a 6.4 yard average. Not bad.

The Bad: Tyreek Hill was our 2nd most productive rusher with 2 rushes for 13 yards. Pathetic. Mostert isn’t that good in Pass protection. That cost us.

The Grade: D +. You know it’s a bad day when you have a RB run for 113 yards and the grade is only a D +.

WR’s — The Good: Hill looked determined today. He had 7 catches. Waddle had 3 catches.

The Bad: 10 catches for 70 yards by Hill and Waddle is a sure sign we had a rookie QB playing 98% of the game.

The Grade: C - . I was hoping for more…..But the QB situation hurt.

TE’s — The Good: Smythe had a nice TD on a trick play.

The Bad: Are you kidding me? Gesicki’ s blocking is beyond pathetic. He had 1 catch in garbage time for 30 yards. We need to trade him for something. He does not fit on this offense. Period.

The Grade: F. You would think a rookie QB would be looking for his TE’s….BUT….They we’re invisible today. Terrible performance.

OL — The Good: This unit opened up enough holes for Mostert to get 113 yards. That a positive.

The Bad: The pass blocking was awful all day. Eichenberg is a total joke and is now rivaling Iggy as our worst draft pick in recent years. Little was not good today. We lost Armstead early…,But when you sign injury prone players….You shouldn’t be shocked when they get injured. A lot.

The Grade: D -. This is really disappointing. I was hoping the improvement we had seen with this unit was permanent. That hope was thoroughly dashed.

DL — The Good: Early on we had VERY good pressure on Wilson. We had a 4th down stop. They stuffed a few runs.

The Bad: This might be the worst tackling defense in the NFL and it showed today. The DL was OK but we couldn’t get the stops we really needed.

The Grade: D. Just not good enough today.

LB’s — The Good: Baker had a nice tackle or 2. Early pressure by Ingram and even 1 by Phillips had us in the game in the first half.

The Bad: NOWHERE near good enough for these guys. The tackling is terrible. Phillips is a HUGE disappointment right now. HUGE. I’m sorry…..But something has to change with this unit or we’re not going anywhere this year.

The Grade: F. Enough said there.

DB’s — The Good: Not Much at all.

The Bad: Missed tackles. Blown assignments. The Iggy experiment should finally be over. Holland has been invisible the past 2 games. Depressing.

The Grade: F. X and Jones are hopefully back next week.

ST’s — The Good: Not much. A FG…. A 47 yard punt. That’s it.

The Bad: A 35 yard punt. A Huge return allowed because of poor tackling. A missed FG. Just an awful return game.

The Grade: F. Need I say more?

Coaching — The Good: I guess we were in the game until halftime….. That was about it.

The Bad: Costly Penalties. Horrible defensive play calls. Boyer sucks. McDaniel calling multiple pre snap motion calls with a Rookie QB that wasn’t prepared.

The Grade: F. Boyer is not a good DC. Period. His feeling for the flow of the game is pathetic. I thought the team just didn’t look good overall and I blame coaching for a big part of it.

Conclusion: This was a VERY bad loss. Period. Again, I felt like we could have and should have won it. Right now, my admiration for McDaniel is fading and I’m definitely off the Josh Boyer bandwagon. Phillips has been far below average all year. Holland was invisible today. Gesicki needs to be traded immediately. A very disheartening loss to say the least.

More bad. I see no evidence Mcd cares about penalties. That's probably too strong and he did have starters out, but penalties are an on-going problem.

Did Edmonds get benched for Gaskin yesterday? After another easy drop, I never saw him again.

This was a big loss to an inferior division opponent. The disappointment is complete. I can’t name one unit on this team that played even decent today and the grades will reflect that. On to the grades:

QB — The Good: Thompson had a couple nice throws. I mean….He’s a rookie making his first start. He did OK.

The Bad: Thompson looked like a rookie today. He looked confused pre-snap on a ton of plays. While he did OK for a rookie. He wasn’t good by any stretch of the imagination. Teddy Bridgewater played one play and had zero pre-snap awareness on that play. I guess he didn’t think that Gardner might blitz there? Regardless, another bad start for this team and an early hole we had to try to overcome because of a poor pre-snap read by a below average QB.

The Grade: F. Awful performance led by a horrible day by our QB’s.

RB’s — The Good: Mostert had 113 Yards on 18 carries. That’s a 6.4 yard average. Not bad.

The Bad: Tyreek Hill was our 2nd most productive rusher with 2 rushes for 13 yards. Pathetic. Mostert isn’t that good in Pass protection. That cost us.

The Grade: D +. You know it’s a bad day when you have a RB run for 113 yards and the grade is only a D +.

WR’s — The Good: Hill looked determined today. He had 7 catches. Waddle had 3 catches.

The Bad: 10 catches for 70 yards by Hill and Waddle is a sure sign we had a rookie QB playing 98% of the game.

The Grade: C - . I was hoping for more…..But the QB situation hurt.

TE’s — The Good: Smythe had a nice TD on a trick play.

The Bad: Are you kidding me? Gesicki’ s blocking is beyond pathetic. He had 1 catch in garbage time for 30 yards. We need to trade him for something. He does not fit on this offense. Period.

The Grade: F. You would think a rookie QB would be looking for his TE’s….BUT….They we’re invisible today. Terrible performance.

OL — The Good: This unit opened up enough holes for Mostert to get 113 yards. That a positive.

The Bad: The pass blocking was awful all day. Eichenberg is a total joke and is now rivaling Iggy as our worst draft pick in recent years. Little was not good today. We lost Armstead early…,But when you sign injury prone players….You shouldn’t be shocked when they get injured. A lot.

The Grade: D -. This is really disappointing. I was hoping the improvement we had seen with this unit was permanent. That hope was thoroughly dashed.

DL — The Good: Early on we had VERY good pressure on Wilson. We had a 4th down stop. They stuffed a few runs.

The Bad: This might be the worst tackling defense in the NFL and it showed today. The DL was OK but we couldn’t get the stops we really needed.

The Grade: D. Just not good enough today.

LB’s — The Good: Baker had a nice tackle or 2. Early pressure by Ingram and even 1 by Phillips had us in the game in the first half.

The Bad: NOWHERE near good enough for these guys. The tackling is terrible. Phillips is a HUGE disappointment right now. HUGE. I’m sorry…..But something has to change with this unit or we’re not going anywhere this year.

The Grade: F. Enough said there.

DB’s — The Good: Not Much at all.

The Bad: Missed tackles. Blown assignments. The Iggy experiment should finally be over. Holland has been invisible the past 2 games. Depressing.

The Grade: F. X and Jones are hopefully back next week.

ST’s — The Good: Not much. A FG…. A 47 yard punt. That’s it.

The Bad: A 35 yard punt. A Huge return allowed because of poor tackling. A missed FG. Just an awful return game.

The Grade: F. Need I say more?

Coaching — The Good: I guess we were in the game until halftime….. That was about it.

The Bad: Costly Penalties. Horrible defensive play calls. Boyer sucks. McDaniel calling multiple pre snap motion calls with a Rookie QB that wasn’t prepared.

The Grade: F. Boyer is not a good DC. Period. His feeling for the flow of the game is pathetic. I thought the team just didn’t look good overall and I blame coaching for a big part of it.

Conclusion: This was a VERY bad loss. Period. Again, I felt like we could have and should have won it. Right now, my admiration for McDaniel is fading and I’m definitely off the Josh Boyer bandwagon. Phillips has been far below average all year. Holland was invisible today. Gesicki needs to be traded immediately. A very disheartening loss to say the least.
Depressing but accurate
Thanks for the post

Back
Top Bottom