160 million reasons to be a Miami Fan | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

160 million reasons to be a Miami Fan

This is all of our faults for paying $100 for jerseys, $150 for crappy tickets and 9 bucks for crappy beer. Everyone is overpaid.

Now back to reality. There's one thing to expect 16 million this year, but to expect 16 ten years from now is so beyond unrealistic it blows my mind. Even great QB's have contracts that give them less as the contract goes on.

Honestly, the jets defense is probably good enough without him. Not taking anything away from Revis, he's good. And I don't compliment the Jets if I don't have to. But I hope the Jets don't end up completely giving in to him. I know they (think) they are smelling that ring and don't want to have that ole' 20/20 hindsight and think it would have been nice to have Revis when they look back and see us wearing it.
Their defense works because they can overload players on blitzes since Revis could single cover his guy. Without Revis you need alot more Safety support, which means less guys coming.
Is this not the case?
Chubbs

My opinion on this topic regardless of the player or skill is the same: You are getting paid millions to PLAY a GAME. They are making more money than the vast majority of us make in a year, yet they demand more and more. I can understand wanted to get paid more than a million per year, but holding out to be the richest cornerback and refusing to play until you get it is just ridiculous.

He should just take the money and play. I have no doubt he will sign by the time the jets open the season though.
If I were the best at my position I would just take the 120 million. I mean whats so important between having 120 and 160 million?

He should just take the money and play. I have no doubt he will sign by the time the jets open the season though.
If I were the best at my position I would just take the 120 million. I mean whats so important between having 120 and 160 million?
$40 Million :)

I rather have $1,600.00 rather then $1,200.00 or 160,000 rather then $120,000 or $1.6 millon rather then $1.2Millon etc.. its never enough.
Chubbs

Wow, what an a-hole Revis is. In this economy, he is complaining about 120 million dollars... little *****

Typical greedy move by a selfish player, the TEAM has offered to re-do his contract so he repays them by holding out and demanding more money then a player that has been the best CB in football for YEARS. To top it off he also was a FA not under contract like Revis, Revis has had one year under his belt where you could say he was one of the best CB's in football.

I hope he gets every penny so they can be screwed over when the cap comes back and have no room for what N.Mangold wants let alone, D.Harris, and B.Edwards.

When 120 million isn't good enough for a player who's scheduled to make around 1 million it's very difficult to back these guys but makes it easy to root against them. Revis should look at what happened to L.Washington when he didn't except their contract for around 35 million then got hurt. One fluke play and Revis may not ever see a huge pay day, sign the contract loser.

Woody Johnson should hold his ground and rescind his offer forcing Revis to play out the rest of his contract. If he sits then he gets nothing and if he plays and struggles at all he'll be wishing he signed it. If they pay him what would stop M.Sanchez to do the same thing if he has a great year, he'll demand more money then Manning and Brady,lol and why not.

This has to be one of the biggest things I hate about some pro athletes, getting offered more money then you ever know what to do with but it's still not enough. What a joke!

If you want to jmute rex then you aren't getting Rex. The man likes to talk and speaks from the heart, that is part of what makes him a good coach. He says some dumb things now and then but we can live w/ it.

Their defense works because they can overload players on blitzes since Revis could single cover his guy. Without Revis you need alot more Safety support, which means less guys coming.
Is this not the case?
Chubbs

He makes their defense better, but I don't think he's the key that unlocks their abilities. They're strong all around, one could say that their line work getting to the QB makes him seem better than he really is. Granted he's always on the #1, and like I said earlier I'm not trying to take anything away from him cause he's good. But they have a strong enough defense to overcome him not being there.

It really is a catch 22 for all parties. In a league where a team can cut a player anytime they want, and the extremely high risk of injuries, players need to get all that they can when they can. Even guaranteed money doesn't help that fully. At the same time, a player doesn't "deserve" that kind of money. That money could easily be spent better on teachers or cops.

The truth is football is entertainment and its value greatly depends on the the demand. We especially are the reason these players get this much money, its simple. We pay all of this money to watch games and buy stuff that we easily pay their salaries. And since their value goes up as their play does. He is the best at his position so he SHOULD get paid comparable to what the best currently does period. We all know CEO's of companies get paid too much, but their value stands based on the companies profits and the trickle down. Incentive laden contracts are ideal obviously because you get paid only based on how you perform, but with such hard contact every week and injuries every second, that clearly cannot happen or players wouldnt play.

The jets are doing a really great job. If they give in they set an INSANE precedent for all teams including ours for future transactions. But they put themselves in the hole by offering to restructure so early in his current contract. I am curious to see how to lays out because this could change football contracts. He should honor his current contract if they dont come to an agreement, if he doesnt then what is there to stop any player from doing the same 2 years into a 5 year deal which would happen every year... inflating every contract... until we are at square one again.

Example:
year 1CB A is best CB in league, demands money with many years left and gets it
Year 2. CB B performs best follows suit and demands more money early, but gets paid more than CB A
Year 3: either CB C or CB A steps up as number one, who is to deny them the same money as CB B for their performance?
Year 4 NFL screams oh **** because this is exactly what happened with the draft situation.

$120 million sounds great but in the NFl thast is window dressing, all that really matters is the true guaranteed money and we don't know what the Jets have offered and what Revis has asked for. He could sign a 10 year $120 mil deal w/ $15 mil guaranteed and get hurt in October, all he will see is the $15 mil if he never plays again. $15 mil is nice but it's not $120 mil.

Back
Top Bottom