160 million reasons to be a Miami Fan | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

160 million reasons to be a Miami Fan

Revis is being very greedy if theres a $120M offer on the table. Who can't live with that? These athletes can be pathetic at times. Unemplyment rates are at its highest, and these guys ****** because $120M isn't enough....gimme a break! And don't even get me started on Haynesworth! lol

Oh no, 10 years and 120 million dollars isn't good enough. Greedy ****.

$120 million sounds great but in the NFl thast is window dressing, all that really matters is the true guaranteed money and we don't know what the Jets have offered and what Revis has asked for. He could sign a 10 year $120 mil deal w/ $15 mil guaranteed and get hurt in October, all he will see is the $15 mil if he never plays again. $15 mil is nice but it's not $120 mil.

I 99% agree with you on this situation but the thing is, if he never plays again, whether it's a blow out knee on the field or a car accident, that's all he should be getting. These guys want so much guaranteed money now it's insane. Why should he expect more than that if something were to happen? Because he outperformed his first contract? Because he plays a dangerous sport? I know the teams hold the upper hand on the players for the most part, but these players don't deserve to be paid for services yet rendered. And they dont deserve to be paid for 'out performing' previous contracts. They get paid plenty when the underperform all the time.

I 99% agree with you on this situation but the thing is, if he never plays again, whether it's a blow out knee on the field or a car accident, that's all he should be getting. These guys want so much guaranteed money now it's insane. Why should he expect more than that if something were to happen? Because he outperformed his first contract? Because he plays a dangerous sport? I know the teams hold the upper hand on the players for the most part, but these players don't deserve to be paid for services yet rendered. And they dont deserve to be paid for 'out performing' previous contracts. They get paid plenty when the underperform all the time.

Baseball and basketball players get fully guaranteed contracts and they don't put their lives ont he line every play. I'm all for football players getting as much as they can.

It should be fairly simple: a player signs a contract with a guaranteed portion he can be happy with, and the team gets the services of that player for the length of the agreed contract. What's blowing this all to hell is the "I've out-performed my contract" stuff. The only time I want to hear from a player before his contract is up, is if he's knocking on the door of management to offer them additional years of service in exchange for another guaranteed chunk of coin. If they say "no", he needs to honor the contract that still exists and get back out on the field. Hold-outs for players under contract nauseate me.

This is my opinion whether we are talking about Revis or Henne in a few years, it makes no difference to me.

Baseball and basketball players get fully guaranteed contracts and they don't put their lives ont he line every play. I'm all for football players getting as much as they can.

Three wrongs don't make a right. The fact they play a dangerous sport (barely could say their lives are on the line) means they should be paid well, but is actually a better reason for non guaranteed money. The guy gets hurt in game 6 of this year and is never the same player should not get paid 40-50 million dollars.

Three wrongs don't make a right. The fact they play a dangerous sport (barely could say their lives are on the line) means they should be paid well, but is actually a better reason for non guaranteed money. The guy gets hurt in game 6 of this year and is never the same player should not get paid 40-50 million dollars.

Why are the others wrongs? The players perform for us and are the reason we waste so much of our money going to games, buying merchandise and generating TV ratings which lead to the owners making a killing. No one complains when an actor spends a few months on a film and makes $20-30 mil, why is it we always complain about athletes?

Why are the others wrongs? The players perform for us and are the reason we waste so much of our money going to games, buying merchandise and generating TV ratings which lead to the owners making a killing. No one complains when an actor spends a few months on a film and makes $20-30 mil, why is it we always complain about athletes?

I think they are wrongs mainly in that too often the players get paid for underperformances and/or no performance at all. And believe me, I think the owners are just as greedy and get paid too much too. But the owners are the ones taking the bigger risk overall. Obviously not the physical risks the players face but the MAJOR financial risks. If Woody blows out his knee he won't skip a beat as far as making a living, but the football players chose this profession. As far as the movie stars go, they are more times than not paid by the success of the movie. And when they are paid a large lump sum, and can't deliver, I'm pretty sure they don't continue to get paychecks (but honestly don't know how that works for sure) And I complain about them too. :) Just like Friends and Seinfeld situations, they wanted a million or something like that an episode. They didn't want 10 episodes guaranteed.

I think they are wrongs mainly in that too often the players get paid for underperformances and/or no performance at all. And believe me, I think the owners are just as greedy and get paid too much too. But the owners are the ones taking the bigger risk overall. Obviously not the physical risks the players face but the MAJOR financial risks. If Woody blows out his knee he won't skip a beat as far as making a living, but the football players chose this profession. As far as the movie stars go, they are more times than not paid by the success of the movie. And when they are paid a large lump sum, and can't deliver, I'm pretty sure they don't continue to get paychecks (but honestly don't know how that works for sure) And I complain about them too. :) Just like Friends and Seinfeld situations, they wanted a million or something like that an episode. They didn't want 10 episodes guaranteed.

Owners can cut guys immediately if they aren't performing but players can't ask for more money when they outplay their deal?

Owners can cut guys immediately if they aren't performing but players can't ask for more money when they outplay their deal?

In my opinion, and in short, they can ask and expect it but they can't demand it.

I know it's sorta apples and oranges, but if a guy gets fired/laid off for not working up to his salary he'll usually get some kind of severance pay or something of that nature. Players usually have some type of payment upon getting cut. But if the employee ends up making the company tons of money and he goes to his boss and asks for a 15 fold raise he'll probably have to compromise at best. The boss can say I'm gonna keep paying you the same for whatever reason. That guy can say fine or quit. Now of course players sign multi year deals and 'regular dudes like us' don't.

I side with the business man usually though. He is the one with the most to lose. They both sign the contract though and they both should make sure they know what their options are.

A good business man knows the value of a good employee and vice versa. If a good employee has a bad employer than he should remember it when other opportunities arise. (Not a jab at the Jets, just talking about the contract situation.)

Back
Top Bottom