1st Day of Free Agency Review | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of Free Agency Review

Great write up and recap. Thanks.

All in all, I think Miami/Grier did a heck of a lot better then many expected so far.

Upgraded the LB and TE units.

I may not like the move at C, but I am clearly in the minority. Regardless, we got a replacement at C

The sky was falling by many. However, Grier did a solid to really good job so far, without killing future cap.

It will be interesting to see how it goes today.

One of the most encouraging things is that, even right now, if we stopped this team is looking decent to pretty good.

We still have holes in O line and D line but nothing a draftbof Barton/Sweat won't suddenly make look better haha.

Just to recap.

Raiders paid more for a DT ( WILKINS) then Miami paid for their new starting TE/ LBERand center.

So while other teams are overspending, Miami did great bargain shopping to improve the team.

Grier seems to know how to find these David Long type guys in FA

Clowney was $2.5 million last year, you think he’d cost $9m? he did have 10 sacks I think.

I really liked Van Noy, Grier might have pissed him off when he left. I know he wasn’t happy, not sure if Flo or Grier or both were the cause.

Picking up two of those edge players you listed (not including Clowney at $9m per) might be doable and would be sweet.

The Baltimore scheme rotates heavily. they also have always had nosetackles (Siragusa, Haloti Nata, and now Michael Pierce who is a 355 pounder). I can see us bringing back Raekwon Davis and signing and or drafting a big nose tackle. Maybe Sweat? I think you need that big space eater to make that scheme really sing. Command double teams, and let your edges fly and be so stout vs the runs up the middle.
What about Tua? Is he signed? Can they sign him?

To my understanding, signing Brooks and Brewer canceled out the Jones and AVG comp picks. We should be set with the 2 of the highest 3rd comp picks for Hunt and Wilkins though. Pretty much no way we lose those as we don’t have the ability to offer a contract to a FA of that magnitude.

They are still going to need to do some more restructures to get cap compliant. They currently sit at 3.6 under and that is without Armsteads 8.4 restructure, leaving them about 12 mil under. This 12 mil in excess cap $$ is without yesterday’s signings of Brewer $7 mil, Brooks $10mil and Walker Jr. possibly $4 mil, that’s another roughly 20mil added to their cap number. By my math they need to come up with another roughly 8 mil to be cap compliant.

There is another $26 mil in restructures that could become available if Hill and Chubb are restructured, leaving about $16 mil left to finish up free agency. If the Dolphins do this they are kicking about $63 mil into future years.

Nice write up.

Do we know where our cap actually stands right now?

To my understanding, signing Brooks and Brewer canceled out the Jones and AVG comp picks. We should be set with the 2 of the highest 3rd comp picks for Hunt and Wilkins though. Pretty much no way we lose those as we don’t have the ability to offer a contract to a FA of that magnitude.

Agreed.

Also, I have no problem losing the 5th and 6th for a 25 yr old Center and a 26 year old LBER on relatively good contracts

Great write up and recap. Thanks.

All in all, I think Miami/Grier did a heck of a lot better then many expected so far.

Upgraded the LB and TE units.

I may not like the move at C, but I am clearly in the minority. Regardless, we got a replacement at C

The sky was falling by many. However, Grier did a solid to really good job so far, without killing future cap.

It will be interesting to see how it goes today.

One of the most encouraging things is that, even right now, if we stopped this team is looking decent to pretty good.

We still have holes in O line and D line but nothing a draftbof Barton/Sweat won't suddenly make look better haha.

Just to recap.

Raiders paid more for a DT ( WILKINS) then Miami paid for their new starting TE/ LBERand center.

So while other teams are overspending, Miami did great bargain shopping to improve the team.

Grier seems to know how to find these David Long type guys in FA
I wasn't aware Smith was named starter over Smythe. Source?

Despite what some are purporting, Smith is not a great blocker. Smythe is clearly superior in that area. He is more dynamic as a pass catcher, but unless we move away from our WR crossing patterns at varying depths, there won't be high volume seam opportunities.

I guess what I'm saying is I think some are overstating the effect Smythe is likely going to have.

I could be wrong, but I had the exact same feeling last year when everyone was touting Berrios as some kind of a top level slot receiver.

Last edited:

Despite what some are purporting, Smith is not a great blocker. Smythe is clearly superior in that area. He is more dynamic as a pass catcher, but unless we move away from our WR crossing patterns at varying depths, there won't be high volume seam opportunities.

I guess what I'm saying is I think some are overstating the effect Smythe is likely going to have.

I could be wrong, by I had the exact same feeling last year when everyone was touting Berrios as some kind of a top level slot receiver.
I agree that in order to get the best Smith or Berrios for that matter, you actually have to use them.....if we go to Hill and Waddle on every play then why even have a TE?......might as well play 6 OL guys all game long

The Dolphins for worse today. Can not be a homer and try and spin it. Another year without a playoff win incoming.

Nice write up.

Do we know where our cap actually stands right now?
Not until the actual terms of the contracts for Brewer, Brooks and Walker Jr. come in. The AAV for each is Brewer 7mil, Brooks 10mil and I’m assuming Walker Jr. (around 3 to 4 mil) on a 1 year deal, they did not release an amount with him, only saying it was a 1 year deal. They could back load Brewer and Brooks allowing for more money to be used this year.

I agree that in order to get the best Smith or Berrios for that matter, you actually have to use them.....if we go to Hill and Waddle on every play then why even have a TE?......might as well play 6 OL guys all game long
My response to that is it isn't a matter of designed usage.

When your QB has to make his decision at the snap, then get rid of it as soon as his back foot hits the third step, it is what it is.

Put all the TEs and Slots on the field you want, but if the QB only has 2 seconds, it isn't going to make one iota of difference.

Better off investing in a competent line than JAG skills at this juncture, IMO.

Don't misunderstand, I like the acquisition of Smith. The price was good. I just think some are overstating his likely impact, as well as his actual skill level, relative to what I consider top TEs

They are still going to need to do some more restructures to get cap compliant. They currently sit at 3.6 under and that is without Armsteads 8.4 restructure, leaving them about 12 mil under. This 12 mil in excess cap $$ is without yesterday’s signings of Brewer $7 mil, Brooks $10mil and Walker Jr. possibly $4 mil, that’s another roughly 20mil added to their cap number. By my math they need to come up with another roughly 8 mil to be cap compliant.

There is another $26 mil in restructures that could become available if Hill and Chubb are restructured, leaving about $16 mil left to finish up free agency. If the Dolphins do this they are kicking about $63 mil into future years.
There is no way the 3 new guys will be counting for $20M this year. It's much more like that Brooks is around $4.5M, Brewer around $3.5M and Walker vet min?

Just look at how the restructures they did to Sieler, Smythe and Ingold went, they started using void years. Jonnu Smith was 2 years, $8M but is only counting $2.5M this year.

Also, not a huge fan of Ramsey having an $18M void year hit now.

I could be wrong, but I had the exact same feeling last year when everyone was touting Berrios as some kind of a top level slot receiver.

Good point.

I may have spoke too soon in regards to Smith being a starter.

Should have stopped with upgraded TE unit lol.

But you are correct. The upgrade will only matter if he's able to be utilized.

My response to that is it isn't a matter of designed usage.

When your QB has to make his decision at the snap, then get rid of it as soon as his back foot hits the third step, it is what it is.

Put all the TEs and Slots on the field you want, but if the QB only has 2 seconds, it isn't going to make one iota of difference.

Better off investing in a competent line than JAG skills at this juncture, IMO.

Don't misunderstand, I like the acquisition of Smith. The price was good. I just think some are overstating his likely impact, as well as his actual skill level, relative to what I consider top TEs

You may be right here.

Plus, I think we all know, I was and am currently a big cry baby over o line.

I believe if we get a good O line, with this QB and WRS, Miami will be competitive regardless.

Fix the line or Smith as a 3rd option won't matter.

I may not be saying it the same way, but I am 100% in agreement with your post Mach

Back
Top Bottom