1st Day of Free Agency Review | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of Free Agency Review

View attachment 163172On Spotrac, these contracts aren't accounted for yet and they have us at 4 mil under without them.
I used Over The Cap’s website to get the cap number of 3.6 mil but forgot to include Needham, Jones and Campbell when crunching my numbers for Brooks, Walker Jr. and Brewer. Should be close to 20mil with those 3 if they backload Brooks and Walker.

So how will extending Tua fit under the cap?
Because his new deal will be back loaded like all the QB cap hits. He's down as $23M right now, with a new extension that first year would come down to maybe in the $10-$13M range I would guess.

Josh Allen is now into year 4 of his 6 year, $258M extension and his cap hits so far have been $10M, $16M, $18M and now $30M this season after the restructure.

He'll be 32 then and you would need to give him the $18M owed plus more. That $18M is counting against the cap in 2026 no matter what the Dolphins do.
You don't think Ramsey has 3 more good years left in him? Why would we have to give him more, if thats the money he is due from his contract?

You don't think Ramsey has 3 more good years left in him? Why would we have to give him more, if thats the money he is due from his contract?
He's not due it, it's a void year. We will have already have paid him the $18M (we just did with the restructure) so it's dead cap. He will be a free agent but the Dolphins will still have an $18M cap hit for him.

Young is a stud? Since when? :lol:

Not interested in him at all to be honest.
Since always. He was Bosa-level elite in college and has been very good as a pro, too—he just hasn’t been healthy. He has graded out as a top edge defender and pass rusher every year per PFF. He’s basically just played half seasons.

I don’t blame anyone for not being interested in him, but he’s an extraordinary talent who would normally never be available at this kind of price tag. Dollars to donuts he is going to have a gangbusters 2024 and sign a $150 million contract next offseason.

Since always. He was Bosa-level elite in college and has been very good as a pro, too—he just hasn’t been healthy. He has graded out as a top edge defender and pass rusher every year per PFF. He’s basically just played half seasons.

I don’t blame anyone for not being interested in him, but he’s an extraordinary talent who would normally never be available at this kind of price tag. Dollars to donuts he is going to have a gangbusters 2024 and sign a $150 million contract next offseason.
I just don't see it in the pro's. All I've seen is a bull rush move that isn't that successful. He lacks the explosion/speed of someone like Bosa or Watt.

My wish list would be a DJ Reader or Rankins DT, Zeitler G and grab a WR 3 maybe Boyd from Cincy. Wilie Gay LB would be nice and throw in Clowney or Young as the edge. That would be a nice 2nd day 😀
I think most of those guys would count against the comp pick formula so I'll be surprised if they sign any of them.

Losses:

Avg - Vikings - $20 million, 2 years, $14 million guaranteed. This one hurts, I feel like we could’ve paid him that, and he reunites with Flores.

Wilkins - Raiders - $110 million, 4 years, $82 million Guaranteed. Guaranteed money is $20.5 per year. He’s going to wreck havoc playing with Crosby. I wish him well, he got his bag, but honestly I’m okay with it. Too much to pay for a Defensive Tackle. You can’t pay everybody.

Hunt - Panthers - 5 years, $100 million, first two years $44 million guaranteed. Once again, good for him. $22 million per year (which is the guaranteed money) per is too much to pay for a guard. Got his bag, wish him well.

Brandon Jones - Broncos - 3 years, $22.5 million, $12 million Guaranteed. That’s $4 million per guaranteed, he’ll replace Simmons who would’ve cost the Broncos a lot more. Lots of Safties on the market, good for Brandon Jones, but he wouldn’t be worth that to the Dolphins.

Projected compensatory Picks:

Wilkins - 3rd Rounder
Hunt - 3rd Rounder
Jones - 5th Rounder ???

Cuts to save Cap space:

Ogbah, DT - Cap Savings: $13.7 million, Dead Cap Space $4 Million
Howard CB - Cap Savings: $18.5 MIllion (after June 1st) Dead Cap Space $7.4 Million
Baker Inside Linebacker - Cap Savings: $9.8 Million, Dead Cap Space: $4.9 Million
Keon Crossen CB - Cap Savings: $2.99 Million, Dead Cap Space: $0

Restructures to Save Cap Space:

Terron Armstead: $8.4 Million in cap savings (estimated) From $20.8 million to estimated $12.4 million
Jalen Ramsey : $19.9 Million Cap Savings with $25 million bonus to be spread out over the next 5 years.
Zack Sieler, Durham Smythe, & Alec Ingold: $8.9 million in cap savings Ingold and Sieler are signed through 2026 and Smythe through 2025. All three players now have two void years at the end of their contracts.

Total of $37 Million in cap savings due to restructures with up to another $12.54 million available if you restructure Tyreek Hills contract without extending him, more if you did extend him.

Free Agency Signings:

Jonnu Smith - TE - $10 million, 2 years. An excellent pass catching tight end who will improve the passing game and allow Miami to actually pass out of 12 personnel package.

Aaron Brewer - Center - $21 Million, 3 years. Replacement for Conner Williams. $27 years old, good center, very mobile will fit well in this system. We probably won’t end up drafting JPJ now. Still have 2 more holes to fill on the interior offensive line and we need a swing tackle if Kendall Lamm isn’t going to return.

Jordyn Brooks - LB - $30 Million, 3 years. good productive player, can rush the passer a bit. Excellent in coverage. Upgrade over Baker!

Anthony Walker - LB - ? 1 year - Nice Rotational player for our linebacking corps.

Daviyon Nixon - DT - $985k 1 year, Competition for the rotation at D Tackle

Isaiah Mack - DT $1 million, 1 year, Competition for the Rotation at D Tackle

Re-signs:
-Nik Needham CB - Competion for Kohou in the slot
-Elijah Campbell S - Meh
-Robert Jones - G - Competition & Depth
-Jake Bailey - P - Meh

Projected 1st & second round picks:

OT & DT Or WR OT, or Edge OT with the idea that the OT will kick inside to play left guard to learn from Armstead as understudy to replace him in 2025. They can really go BPA here or even trade back if they can find someone who wants to trade up, But, who knows?

Projected cap space for 2025 - $71 million. (Note, this doesn't take in the can kicking down the road from 2024 restructures, but we should be in reasonable shape in any case)

Some losses and some additions & replacements. Team will also have a bump in cap space post June 1st when the X cut kicks in. Future not as glum as it may seem, lots more work to do, this was only the first day of legal tampering as they call it. 2025 looks like we will have plenty of money to spend/cap space available as well as a good number of draft picks, (1, 2, & 3 3rd round picks including compensatory picks a 4th, 3 5ths, & 2 7ths) 11 picks in total, so that’s interesting information.
Nice review for the day, thank you!

He's not due it, it's a void year. We will have already have paid him the $18M (we just did with the restructure) so it's dead cap. He will be a free agent but the Dolphins will still have an $18M cap hit for him.
According to overthecap.com he will still be under contract in 2026. He won't be due any guaranteed money but his cap hit will indeed be $18.4M. The Dolphins can release him and take that dead cap hit or keep him and he will play for the Dolphins for $18.4M.

According to overthecap.com he will still be under contract in 2026. He won't be due any guaranteed money but his cap hit will indeed be $18.4M. The Dolphins can release him and take that dead cap hit or keep him and he will play for the Dolphins for $18.4M.
No, 2026 is a void year. He is not under contract but he does have an $18M cap hit. That is the point of void years, makes this year and next year cheaper but we have to take the hit at some point.

Read the contract again, 2026, 2027 and 2028 are void years with hits of $6.75M, $6.75M and $4.9M which all accelerate into 2026 when his contract expires after the 2025 season. They put 3 void years on his contract to bring his cap hit this year down to $7.955M. Next year he is $26M with really no way out of it now unless it's a post June 1st cut.

What about Tua? Is he signed? Can they sign him?
I assume his $24 or $22 million 5 year option is part of the salary cap. More cap space for this year can probably be claimed in a new contract for him, or an extension, or however it is structured.

I would still draft jpj if he is available.

Yes absolutely.

He can play guard also. So can Brewer.
We can rotate the 2 if Brewer doesn't do well at Center.

But yes, JPJ is still the #1 guy if available.

But I have a feeling, they are eyeing a guy like Barton and a trade down.

Maybe knowing they have a couple extra 3rds next year, they may choose to trade some 3rd or later picks to move up and grab Mahogany or that tackle from Yale

Back
Top Bottom