1st Day of Free Agency Review | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of Free Agency Review

No, 2026 is a void year. He is not under contract but he does have an $18M cap hit. That is the point of void years, makes this year and next year cheaper but we have to take the hit at some point.

Read the contract again, 2026, 2027 and 2028 are void years with hits of $6.75M, $6.75M and $4.9M which all accelerate into 2026 when his contract expires after the 2025 season. They put 3 void years on his contract to bring his cap hit this year down to $7.955M. Next year he is $26M with really no way out of it now unless it's a post June 1st cut.

So no matter what, Ramsey will count 18 million against the cap in 2026?

If im understanding correctly. If Ramsey is on the roster in 2026, we are pretty much paying twice, against the cap to keep him?

Could they cancel it out, by extending Ramsey after this season and taking out the void years?

So, let's see where our cap stands after we see how these contracts are structured. I wondered if we are still under
We had to be under by COB yesterday. After that, not sure how it works honestly.

No, 2026 is a void year. He is not under contract but he does have an $18M cap hit. That is the point of void years, makes this year and next year cheaper but we have to take the hit at some point.

Read the contract again, 2026, 2027 and 2028 are void years with hits of $6.75M, $6.75M and $4.9M which all accelerate into 2026 when his contract expires after the 2025 season. They put 3 void years on his contract to bring his cap hit this year down to $7.955M. Next year he is $26M with really no way out of it now unless it's a post June 1st cut.
Well we had to convert his contract in order to be under the cap by tomorrow anyway. So he basically is under contract for 2 more years. He should have 2 more good years in him then we will have to bite the bullet and take the $18.4M cap hit in 2026. We already have $22M in dead cap space this year so $18M in dead cap space in 2026 is not unprecedented.

They are still going to need to do some more restructures to get cap compliant. They currently sit at 3.6 under and that is without Armsteads 8.4 restructure, leaving them about 12 mil under. This 12 mil in excess cap $$ is without yesterday’s signings of Brewer $7 mil, Brooks $10mil and Walker Jr. possibly $4 mil, that’s another roughly 20mil added to their cap number. By my math they need to come up with another roughly 8 mil to be cap compliant.

There is another $26 mil in restructures that could become available if Hill and Chubb are restructured, leaving about $16 mil left to finish up free agency. If the Dolphins do this they are kicking about $63 mil into future years.
Don’t forget the $18 mil we recoup post June 1st for X. So we don’t have to worry about our draft class and will be in a position to make some moves in the summer/early fall.

If im understanding correctly. If Ramsey is on the roster in 2026, we are pretty much paying twice, against the cap to keep him?

Could they cancel it out, by extending Ramsey after this season and taking out the void years?

Great write up and recap. Thanks.

All in all, I think Miami/Grier did a heck of a lot better then many expected so far.

Upgraded the LB and TE units.

I may not like the move at C, but I am clearly in the minority. Regardless, we got a replacement at C

The sky was falling by many. However, Grier did a solid to really good job so far, without killing future cap.

It will be interesting to see how it goes today.

One of the most encouraging things is that, even right now, if we stopped this team is looking decent to pretty good.

We still have holes in O line and D line but nothing a draftbof Barton/Sweat won't suddenly make look better haha.

Just to recap.

Raiders paid more for a DT ( WILKINS) then Miami paid for their new starting TE/ LBERand center.

So while other teams are overspending, Miami did great bargain shopping to improve the team.

Grier seems to know how to find these David Long type guys in FA
That’s right!

Defense:

-Linebacker corps is upgraded from last year.

Holes to fill:
-Safety: Good crop to choose from in FA
-Boundary Corner: We have some good pieces on the roster, but we will probably make a move here in free agency. Cam Smith has the talent, but may have maturity issues which is why he didn’t see the field all that much last year. Probably be wise to bring in a good free agent here. I wouldn’t burn a high draft pick on this position though.
-Edge. We need at least one edge player. @j-off-her-doll came up with a nice list of good FA who won’t break the bank here earlier in this thread, sign one and maybe draft one, or sign two and we’ll be in great shape and have enough depth the type of Rotation that the Ravens use once Chubb and Phillips return.
-Defensive Tackle. I think we should resign Raekwon Davis if the numbers make sense and either draft a nose (340 pounds plus) or sign one if one is available. Maybe draft someone like Sweat? Then we could be like the ravens, at least personnel and scheme wise.

All of those are doable.

Offense:
-A guard to compete with Eichenberg for the starting Right Guard Position
-left Guard (hopefully a tackle) who can learn from Terron Armstead and take over LT next year
-swing Tackle who can also play guard, just to fill in for Terron for at least 1/3 of the season which he will likely miss due to injury
-WR. Someone big who can get open & create separation, who will also be a bigger target to compliment our new tight end in the red zone.

That’s about it. Derick Henry would be nice, but we’ll be fine without him too.

Center position is now filed, with a good young free agent who is a scheme fit and who is locked up for a couple of years.
Passing game is already improved with our new tight end.
Linebacker is actually upgraded.

Lots of draft picks next year, and seems like we will be in reasonable shape cap wise.

All in all, a playoff victory or more is still achievable, so no sense in panicking until we see what the FO does. :)

I really want Chase Young. He’s a stud, a 3-man rotation of Phillips/Chubb/Young would be insane, and he wouldn’t impact comp picks since he’s likely a one-year deal.

But assuming he’s out of our price range, which he likely is, I’d go with both Carl Lawson and Derek Barnett. They will both come cheap, but both are good players and good pass rushers. Honorable mention to Dante Fowler.
Chase Young, Maybe. Definitely worth kicking the tires on.

Because his new deal will be back loaded like all the QB cap hits. He's down as $23M right now, with a new extension that first year would come down to maybe in the $10-$13M range I would guess.

Josh Allen is now into year 4 of his 6 year, $258M extension and his cap hits so far have been $10M, $16M, $18M and now $30M this season after the restructure.
Plus, it can be done after June 1st, which is when we’ll have $18m more new cap space from the Xavien Howard cut. But yes, he can be restructured to count less this year if required.

At least. Consider void years credit card debt that will have to be reckoned with one day.

I wasn't aware Smith was named starter over Smythe. Source?

Despite what some are purporting, Smith is not a great blocker. Smythe is clearly superior in that area. He is more dynamic as a pass catcher, but unless we move away from our WR crossing patterns at varying depths, there won't be high volume seam opportunities.

I guess what I'm saying is I think some are overstating the effect Smythe is likely going to have.

I could be wrong, but I had the exact same feeling last year when everyone was touting Berrios as some kind of a top level slot receiver.
I would imagine that Smith will start in 12 personal packages which we really couldn’t pass out of very effectively last year. That will be a package that we can run more. (Two tight ends)

I would also imagine that you will be able to move him around some if you wanted to, line him up as a straight up WR in certain packages. Smythe will still get plenty of snaps though I’m sure as he is the superior blocker.

There is no "canceling" it out, and it isn't paying him twice.

I think you are failing to understand the concept.

That 18m has already been paid. It was part of the original contract. All the void years does is defer the charge against the cap. That $ is not "owed" in any sense of the word. It has already been paid. It just hasn't been charged against the cap.

Yes, it sucks. Doing business this way on a regular basis is a recipe for eventual disaster.

Now, if one's philosophy is to make a run and resolve yourself to a couple down years later to reload, it makes sense.

If one wants consistency over a long period, not so much.

There is no "canceling" it out, and it isn't paying him twice.

I think you are failing to understand the concept.

That 18m has already been paid. It was part of the original contract. All the void years does is defer the charge against the cap. That $ is not "owed" in any sense of the word. It has already been paid. It just hasn't been charged against the cap.

Yes, it sucks. Doing business this way on a regular basis is a recipe for eventual disaster.

Now, if one's philosophy is to make a run and resolve yourself to a couple down years later to reload, it makes sense.

If one wants consistency over a long period, not so much.

You are correct. GRYPHONK is confused and didn't understand it.

Thanks for taking the time as well as others trying to explain it to me.

So you can see Ramsey has a void hit of $18,468,000 in 2026 now due to the restructure. Not a fan of it at all as I doubt the Dolphins will want to extend him after the 2025 season which means they will basically be eating that as a dead cap hit.

Off memory, Tyreek has a $56M cap hit with no guaranteed left and will be 32 years old on 2026 too. He’s getting cut.

Dolphins have set themselves up for a 2 year run in 2024 & 2025 with Tyreek and Ramsey. Enjoy it while it lasts.

My response to that is it isn't a matter of designed usage.

When your QB has to make his decision at the snap, then get rid of it as soon as his back foot hits the third step, it is what it is.

Put all the TEs and Slots on the field you want, but if the QB only has 2 seconds, it isn't going to make one iota of difference.

Better off investing in a competent line than JAG skills at this juncture, IMO.

Don't misunderstand, I like the acquisition of Smith. The price was good. I just think some are overstating his likely impact, as well as his actual skill level, relative to what I consider top TEs
For like 2 mil that he’s actually getting this season, 600 yards and 6 tds is what I’m expecting. His RAC top level, and he’s not a terrible blocker akin to Gesicki.

Tyreek has a $56M cap hit with no guaranteed left and will be 32 years old on 2026 too. He’s getting cut.

It’s basically a 2 year run with Tyreek and Ramsey. Enjoy it while it lasts.
At least with Tyreek we currently stand to save $45M if we cut him in 2026. I'm expecting that to change if they do restructure him and borrow some money against it.

By that point you would be hoping that Waddle can step in for Tyreek and Cam Smith is a solid starter. The core of the team then should be Tua, Waddle, Ajax, Phillips, Holland and Smith.

No one has mentioned Ogbah as a potential returnee, and I think this is a mistake.
If he gets no real offers, and that won't surprise me, we might consider him.

His play has declined after his back issues, but he could be a cheap early season replacement.

Back
Top Bottom