1st Day of Free Agency Review | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

1st Day of Free Agency Review

There is no way the 3 new guys will be counting for $20M this year. It's much more like that Brooks is around $4.5M, Brewer around $3.5M and Walker vet min?

Just look at how the restructures they did to Sieler, Smythe and Ingold went, they started using void years. Jonnu Smith was 2 years, $8M but is only counting $2.5M this year.

Also, not a huge fan of Ramsey having an $18M void year hit now.

OK, so mind my ignorance.

How does void years work . How do they help the team cap wise.

I know i know. GRYPHONK should just use Google lol

OK I used Google. Bit it's still confusing.

Does void years eliminate dead cap once the player is released? I understand it accelerates the cap.

So for instance, if they did it to Armstead. Does that mean when he's released, we would not still have Cap tied to him the following season/ seasons?

OK, so mind my ignorance.

How does void years work . How do they help the team cap wise.

I know i know. GRYPHONK should just use Google lol
They add extra years onto the contract so you can prorate the signing bonus out over more time but when the contract is done you are left with the dead money.

So you give someone a 3 year deal with 2 void years and a $30M signing bonus. That bonus can be spread as $6M per year rather than the $10M per year so the 3 years are cheaper but you then get hit with a $12M dead cap hit in year 4 when the contract is already done.

They add extra years onto the contract so you can prorate the signing bonus out over more time but when the contract is done you are left with the dead money.

So you give someone a 3 year deal with 2 void years and a $30M signing bonus. That bonus can be spread as $6M per year rather than the $10M per year so the 3 years are cheaper but you then get hit with an $12M dead cap hit in year 4 when the contract is already done.

Oh man, I totally misunderstood what I read on Google lol.

Thanks for explaining

There is no way the 3 new guys will be counting for $20M this year. It's much more like that Brooks is around $4.5M, Brewer around $3.5M and Walker vet min?

Just look at how the restructures they did to Sieler, Smythe and Ingold went, they started using void years. Jonnu Smith was 2 years, $8M but is only counting $2.5M this year.

Also, not a huge fan of Ramsey having an $18M void year hit now.
If you read down further in this post, I said the Brewer and Brooks contracts could be backloaded. As for Walker Jr., he had a 1 year contract with the Browns last season at 4.2 or 4.3, I doubt he will be making the vet minimum.

Just realized I forgot about Van Noy, who is similar to AVG size/how he plays.

I do hope they attack DT and Edge with numbers, rather than prioritizing one or two guys. Here's a list of Edge FA's that are fits based on body type and physical tools. Some of the names will immediately draw a, Eww he sucks. But, Clowney and Oweh would have drawn similar reactions prior to 2023.

Jadeveon Clowney - 1y/9m
Marcus Davenport - 1y/5m
Tyquan Lewis - 2y/12m
Rasheem Green - ?
Dante Fowler Jr - 1y/2.5M
Clelin Ferrell - 1y/2.75M
Yetur Gross-Matos - ?
I really want Chase Young. He’s a stud, a 3-man rotation of Phillips/Chubb/Young would be insane, and he wouldn’t impact comp picks since he’s likely a one-year deal.

But assuming he’s out of our price range, which he likely is, I’d go with both Carl Lawson and Derek Barnett. They will both come cheap, but both are good players and good pass rushers. Honorable mention to Dante Fowler.

Does anybody else think it's curious that X and Baker didn't get a contract with another team? I know it's very early and only the top FA's are seemingly in play.

Oh man, I totally misunderstood what I read on Google lol.

Thanks for explaining
So you can see Ramsey has a void hit of $18,468,000 in 2026 now due to the restructure. Not a fan of it at all as I doubt the Dolphins will want to extend him after the 2025 season which means they will basically be eating that as a dead cap hit.

The Vikings have a $28M hit from Cousins for this season due to them not getting the extension done and him leaving.

The most hilarious one I've seen so far is the Eagles with the Hurts contract. He has a cap hit of $97M in 2029 which is the first void year. I wonder what they are actually going to do with his contract, they are either geniuses or the next Saints.

I really want Chase Young. He’s a stud, a 3-man rotation of Phillips/Chubb/Young would be insane, and he wouldn’t impact comp picks since he’s likely a one-year deal.

But assuming he’s out of our price range, which he likely is, I’d go with both Carl Lawson and Derek Barnett. They will both come cheap, but both are good players and good pass rushers. Honorable mention to Dante Fowler.
Young is a stud? Since when? :lol:

Not interested in him at all to be honest.

I had a premonition, a dream you may say.

Today we learn of a Tua extension and sign Ashawn Robinson.

I am currently sick. So not sure if it was a premonition or a hallucination lol

OK I used Google. Bit it's still confusing.

Does void years eliminate dead cap once the player is released? I understand it accelerates the cap.

So for instance, if they did it to Armstead. Does that mean when he's released, we would not still have Cap tied to him the following season/ seasons?
It doesn't eliminate it. In fact, it guarantees there will be dead money even if the player plays out the entire length of the contract. The only value is in minimizes the cap hit(s) early. You end up paying for it later.

So you can see Ramsey has a void hit of $18,468,000 in 2026 now due to the restructure. Not a fan of it at all as I doubt the Dolphins will want to extend him after the 2025 season which means they will basically be eating that as a dead cap hit.

The Vikings have a $28M hit from Cousins for this season due to them not getting the extension done and him leaving.

The most hilarious one I've seen so far is the Eagles with the Hurts contract. He has a cap hit of $97M in 2029 which is the first void year. I wonder what they are actually going to do with his contract, they are either geniuses or the next Saints.
Why cant Ramsey still be our starting DB in 2026? $18.4M is not a bad cap hit for a starting DB.

My wish list would be a DJ Reader or Rankins DT, Zeitler G and grab a WR 3 maybe Boyd from Cincy. Wilie Gay LB would be nice and throw in Clowney or Young as the edge. That would be a nice 2nd day 😀

I had a premonition, a dream you may say.

Today we learn of a Tua extension and sign Ashawn Robinson.

I am currently sick. So not sure if it was a premonition or a hallucination lol
So how will extending Tua fit under the cap?

Back
Top Bottom