2011 Overrated/Underrated Prospects | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2011 Overrated/Underrated Prospects

Only guy I disagree about is Von Miller. The guy flat out produces. And if anything I hear analysts playing down his production and physical skills. He might struggle playing the run early in his career but I think he'll have a great career.

Otherwise I like your list.

I've actually come around on a couple of these guys.. Von Miller being one of them. I find myself building more of a case for him now than I used to.

He's still quite one dimensional, and a little raw at certain things. Ironically, he's shown me more on film during this injury plagued Senior season than he did last year racking up all those sacks.

I think the knock on his PHYSICALITY is legitimate.... but anyone questioning his physical skills and/or talent should be on the lookout for the search party initiated by the village...

Von Miller is overflowing with the talent and upside to become an even better football player... the things that he does do well, he does better than any prospect in the country that he'll be competing with.

Obi Ezeh on the overrated list? Don't have you have to be considered at least average to be on an overrated list. Not sure that anyone would consider Ozeh even average, and that was the concesous weeks before his benching. If anyone actually does consider Ezeh anything close to average, then he would be the most overrated player on that list and it wouldn't be close.

not sure where to put this but i've been looking at von miller pretty hard and while i see an explosive off the ball athlete with exceptional acceleration i don't see much hand usage off the edge...primarily just beating tackles running around them on the outside...sometimes guys barely getting out of their stances before he's by them...but i also think he takes some really wide angles on some plays also to try and gain the corner taking him out of some plays...all things being equal i don't think he's as polished a pass rusher as jerry hughes was last year or displays the same hand usage i'd still prefer hughes over miller...although miller may well be more explosive with those first few steps off the snap...

i bet he's gonna time well in the short shuttle and in the 10 yard split and he looks pretty fluid in the hips to me also...very explosive...do like that he plays so much in a 2 point stance...

not sure where to put this but i've been looking at von miller pretty hard and while i see an explosive off the ball athlete with exceptional acceleration i don't see much hand usage off the edge...primarily just beating tackles running around them on the outside...sometimes guys barely getting out of their stances before he's by them...but i also think he takes some really wide angles on some plays also to try and gain the corner taking him out of some plays...all things being equal i don't think he's as polished a pass rusher as jerry hughes was last year or displays the same hand usage i'd still prefer hughes over miller...although miller may well be more explosive with those first few steps off the snap...

i bet he's gonna time well in the short shuttle and in the 10 yard split and he looks pretty fluid in the hips to me also...very explosive...do like that he plays so much in a 2 point stance...

Which games are you watching hoops? If you're watching the games from earlier this season when he was hobbled by that bad ankle they aren't showing you what he's capable of... which is why he wasn't generating the sack numbers early in the season...

Miller can bend the arc 2 feet off the ground when he's healthy... I also disagree with with the hands, he has a very surprising strike with his hands...

He'd start for Miami yesterday...

I like him better than Hughes, especially as a rush linebacker.... what's strange is that I've heard Bill Polian already admits drafting Hughes was a mistake...

Which games are you watching hoops? If you're watching the games from earlier this season when he was hobbled by that bad ankle they aren't showing you what he's capable of... which is why he wasn't generating the sack numbers early in the season...

Miller can bend the arc 2 feet off the ground when he's healthy... I also disagree with with the hands, he has a very surprising strike with his hands...

He'd start for Miami yesterday...

I like him better than Hughes, especially as a rush linebacker.... what's strange is that I've heard Bill Polian already admits drafting Hughes was a mistake...

i think hughes is a better 3-4 olb prospect than 4-3 end...but thats just me...mighty mighty fluid in lb drills at the combine...like poetry in motion with the feet and planting and coming forward...good looking hips

anyways what i see with miller is an initial burst thats eye popping but if you stone him on the outside he doesn't disengage all that well...most impressive thing for me by far is the initial quickness and burst...dudes flying off the ball and rounding the corner...way more impressive than that chris carter stuff i saw the other night in the bowl game...he left me meh as an edge rush lb

where you starting miller in miami??? looks like a wolb only guy to me...not very strong as to be expected vs the run

Only in the context of the fact that, in retrospect, they had bigger needs. I don't think he was trying to make an indictment of Hughes the player.

Miller uses his hands alright, I think. He's so goddamn talented he hasn't had to get really polished with them yet. Hughes had terribly inconsistent hand usage, too. At the end of the day you can learn how to use your hands, but first step quickness and elite ankle flexion can't be taught. At least, I've never seen anyone taught them.

Jerry Hughes can't touch Von Miller as a rush linebacker.... Miller is already playing it, Hughes never has and probably never will... that doesn't even make much sense to me...

Anyway hoops what I mean by start for Miami yesterday is snap count wise rushing the passer... he'd be rushing the passer a lot more than Misi and producing...

This kid will be in the mix for the DROY Award if he goes to the right 3-4 team just like Clay Matthews did... in fact, I think Green Bay might just be a team that gets after him...

i thought in the games i looked at last year of jerry hughes that the hand usage was pretty damn good...plus he could redirect inside and had a very good first step off the ball which showed in his very fast 10 yard split at the combine...

i think miller hasn't had to use the hands all that much with that freakish edge explosion he has but in the pros i think he's gonna have to use them more...not just gonna run around guys at the next level

but i'll be keying him hard in that bowl game...

oh and slimm i get the he'd be taking pass rush snaps..miller's WAY MORE EXPLOSIVE off the edge than misi could ever dream of being...lol

i understand that hughes was never asked to play lb in college or the pros so far...i just stand by my feelings that to me hughes was more explosive as a standup rusher off the stuff i saw at tcu and that he'd make a seamless transition to 3-4 wolb...i'm convinced of it

Hughes had a great first couple steps, very smooth... he also had a good 10 yard split...

But wait until you see Von Miller's split and shuttle time... Hell, it even shows up on the field a lot better than Hughes did...

Hughes had a great first couple steps, very smooth... he also had a good 10 yard split...

But wait until you see Von Miller's split and shuttle time... Hell, it even shows up on the field a lot better than Hughes did...

yeah i agree...even said so earlier in this thread about miller...i expect to see some rediculous numbers in both those drills

i know i'd like to have that guy coming off the edge opposite cam wake...with that kind of burst and explosion...wow

Hoops you need to watch some film of Von Miller against Oklahoma from early November... He absolutely dominated that game on defense single handedly... Landry Jones can't even hardly finish his 3 step drop from the SHOTGUN before Von Miller is all over him...

I'm dead serious folks, I've been studying the draft for a long time, and I've never seen anything like this kid's snap anticipation, explosion, and raw speed to leave a tackle virtually helpless.... and he did the same thing to Russell Okung last year, who was the #6 overall pick in the draft...

It's not just a speed rush either, he sets tackles up and has a sick dip-and-rip back to the inside as soon as the tackle opens up his hips...

You want to see him strike with his hands, shed and play the run? Watch him make his presence felt on TWO goalline stands in that game where he sheds the TE so fast he doesn't even know which way Miller went... and stuffs DeMarco Murray in the backfield on 4th and 1....

He did it TWICE on goalline stands in that game... this is a special athlete... Jerry Hughes can't touch this kid... not even close.

Honestly, this is as good as I've seen..

You've pretty much got this covered which is why I'm not bothering to comment on it, you're on a roll, but I should add that I do agree with you and also really like Von Miller a lot and think a team will be very happy with him.

Not necessarily Miami, though.

You've pretty much got this covered which is why I'm not bothering to comment on it, you're on a roll, but I should add that I do agree with you and also really like Von Miller a lot and think a team will be very happy with him.

Not necessarily Miami, though.

Of course not... get ready for the 947275839th defensive lineman is probably more likely...

i wonder if espn 3 has that oklahoma game where i can see miller look like the best slimms ever seen...have to check

that's some praise

If you youtube Von Miller + Oklahoma, various highlight clips pop up - none that I saw were exclusively Miller, but he's in there!

Back
Top Bottom