2011 Overrated/Underrated Prospects | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2011 Overrated/Underrated Prospects

Two more WR's strike me as underrated prospects in this senior class just over halfway through the season... Chris Matthews of Kentucky, and Kealoha Pilares of Hawaii...

Pilares just shows up and produces every. Single. Week. I think he's a better pro prospect than teammate Greg Salas, who gets most of the hype. Pilares looks a lot like a bigger Davone Bess..

Matthews is a tall, rangy, sure handed target that projects more as a possession type receiver in the NFL... but he understands how to run routes and set up defenders... and take advantage of all the attention that gets paid to Randall Cobb.

Wow. So we pretty much agree on the WVU prospects. We both like Neild as a potential 3-4 NT in the NFL and think Tavon Austin is the offensive player who could be the real deal, as opposed to Devine, who some like more than they should.

I know you watch a lot of Bama games Slimm. Ive watched a few this year myself. Personally, I like all 4 of their WRs. Maze is very underrated IMHO and could be excellent in the NFL, especially out of the slot. I think that kid has Percy Harvin type potential. We all know Julio Jones is an NFL talent, but those 2 kids they have aside from those guys look like they could be special too. Im not sure what class they are, so I dont know if and when they will be graduating, but I dont see Bama stepping down in talent a whole lot after Maze and Jones leave.

What are those kids' names again and what do you think of them. The one kid is a big boy isnt he? For a WR. He made a very impressive play for a score a couple of weeks ago in a game I was watching, but cant recall which one.

Two more WR's strike me as underrated prospects in this senior class just over halfway through the season... Chris Matthews of Kentucky, and Kealoha Pilares of Hawaii...

Pilares just shows up and produces every. Single. Week. I think he's a better pro prospect than teammate Greg Salas, who gets most of the hype. Pilares looks a lot like a bigger Davone Bess..

Matthews is a tall, rangy, sure handed target that projects more as a possession type receiver in the NFL... but he understands how to run routes and set up defenders... and take advantage of all the attention that gets paid to Randall Cobb.

I don't think it's just hype on Salas. His quickness and ability to get off the line help him project at the next level. He's like another Austin Collie.

I would like to see Damien Berry get drafted by the Dolphins. Think this kid could be a solid RB.

I know you watch a lot of Bama games Slimm. Ive watched a few this year myself. Personally, I like all 4 of their WRs. Maze is very underrated IMHO and could be excellent in the NFL, especially out of the slot. I think that kid has Percy Harvin type potential. We all know Julio Jones is an NFL talent, but those 2 kids they have aside from those guys look like they could be special too. Im not sure what class they are, so I dont know if and when they will be graduating, but I dont see Bama stepping down in talent a whole lot after Maze and Jones leave.

What are those kids' names again and what do you think of them. The one kid is a big boy isnt he? For a WR. He made a very impressive play for a score a couple of weeks ago in a game I was watching, but cant recall which one.

Other than Julio, the two main weapons at the WR position the past 2 years have been Maze and Darius Hanks...

Maze is one of the better blocking WR's in college football despite being undersized... he'll throw one or two de-cleaters a game that spring long runs for Ingram/Richardson.. but he's also a burner with 4.4 speed that knows how to get behind them.. I don't think he's quite on Percy Harvin's level as an athlete or prospect, but I understand what you're trying to say.. Maze is a bigger Jerrel Jernigan.. He's the trigger man in Bama's "Wildcat" when they want the threat of the pass...

I'm not sure Maze declares early though... I think he comes back next year to be the leader of Bama's receiving core..

Darius Hanks is a crisp route runner, dependable hands, and a tough competitor, but he needs a little more weight on his frame to get it done consistently in the NFL... always seems to pop up and make clutch plays in Bama's big games...

I will say this though, Tennessee has the two most underrated Senior WR's in the SEC with Denarius Moore and Gerald Jones (who I already mentioned to begin this thread)... Moore is showing up and dominating SEC secondaries virtually every week.. and he's done it for the majority of the season while Gerald Jones was out with injury...

Moore is a tough kid too... Alabama freshman cornerback DeMarcus Milliner almost decapitated Moore on Tennessee's first offensive series a little over a week ago... he bounced back to have a huge game against S. Carolina...

lol...slow your roll with maze as a percy harvin like level prospect...slow your roll

I'm an extremely firm believer in Matt Barkley.... he's got "it" coming out of his ears. Mel Kiper once said that Matthew Stafford would be the #1 overall pick in the draft before he ever took a snap for Georgia...

I've always felt the same way about Barkley coming out of high school.... Seriously, NFL quarterback should be the first thing that pops into Ray Charles' mind when he watches Matt Barkley for ****'s sake...

I've never really thought of Jacory Harris as an NFL QB prospect... he'd have to put about 25 pounds on his frame before I'd even let him take an NFL snap... He's got some issues with arm strength and delivery that will cause him all kinds of havoc against NFL DB's...

What he does do though is he plays the game with no memory... he forgets his mistakes before he even makes it to the sideline.. He has composure and swagger in spades... He's borderline NFL material IMO... but has a lot of intangibles you like to see.

i agree with the matt barkley take...he sure looks the nfl franchise qb part to me...really like him

how bout that freshman wr for usc...i think he's #11...i really liked what i saw from him in the oregon game...i like the other wr ronald johnson i think his name is also as a #2 wr in the pros...reminds me of jerricho cotchery with better wheels...

but matt barkley i don't even see in a college uni anymore...i just see nfl when i watch him...he's got the total makeup

and i can get used to some lamichael james also at rb...tougher than i expected and cat quick with explosive burst...good vision also

only thing i worry about there is how he'd fare in a nfl base offense...

how bout that freshman wr for usc...i think he's #11...i really liked what i saw from him in the oregon game...i like the other wr ronald johnson i think his name is also as a #2 wr in the pros...reminds me of jerricho cotchery with better wheels...

but matt barkley i don't even see in a college uni anymore...i just see nfl when i watch him...he's got the total makeup

and i can get used to some lamichael james also at rb...tougher than i expected and cat quick with explosive burst...good vision also

only thing i worry about there is how he'd fare in a nfl base offense...

I think you're referring to #13 Robert Woods. Kid is REAL good. Many thought he would have more competition from Kyle Prater and Markeith Ambles, but Woods is showing he is the real deal.

Just got through watching some film on two more VERY underrated Senior WR's....particularly deep threats that would look good lined up opposite any true #1 WR in the NFL...

The first is Kris Adams of UTEP... 6'3", 195 pounds.. and a burner. Looks like he has it all to me... absolutely scorched a talented, and underrated SEC secondary (Arkansas) that consists of some pretty good prospects back there in Rudell Crim, Tramain Thomas, etc...

The other is A.J. Green's wingman at Georgia, Kris Durham... 6'5", 210-215 pounds... and looks like a helluva possession receiver with deceptive wheels... He makes the most of his opportunities with teams focusing on A.J... Uses his tremendous size well, times his jumps, and excellent and judging the football.. high pointing it, and coming down with it matched up against DB's... he's got a little Demaryious Thomas in him when it comes to that... although not nearly that caliber of prospect otherwise...

I've really enjoyed scouting this receiver class... hidden gems everywhere..

i'll pass...not a fan at all as a pro

I wouldn't want him unless it was late in the draft. He isn't going to wow with anything but is just very solid. If he was available around the 5th round or so I would love to see the Dolphins pick him up.

Only guy I disagree about is Von Miller. The guy flat out produces. And if anything I hear analysts playing down his production and physical skills. He might struggle playing the run early in his career but I think he'll have a great career.

Otherwise I like your list.

Back
Top Bottom