2014 Combine measurements: OL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Combine measurements: OL

Tony Pauline (Longtime NFL Draft Analyst & Publisher of DraftInsider.net)
‏@TonyPauline
Back from combine workout. Bills scout commented earlier, "Cyrus Kouandjio say goodbye to round one"...sluggish, slow & totally unprepared.

lol ya. Just funny reading it the way you put it. More than likely he solidified himself as a top 10 pick. Wasn't picking on your post man.

I don't disagree that he should be a top-10 pick. All I was saying is that if anyone had reservations about his first round worthiness, those are probably gone now.

I never liked the mocks that had Cyrus Kouandijo going to us, always thought he was a bit overrated, and now after today there's no way we can take him. He's slow, stiff and not a fit. 5.5 40-yard and a 1.87 10-yard split...no thanks.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”

I think what you might consider is that this probably means that neither Taylor Lewan no Zack Martin fall to 19. If we want one of them we may have to trade up. About a year ago Lane Johnson was considered a 3rd round pick ... and that all changed once people started getting his measurables at the combine.

I was vehemently against the Dallas Thomas pick ... he didn't look like someone who wanted it or understood it to me. That proved to be correct. Similarly, I don't want any OL from Tennessee in this draft either. But, after the awesome measurables that Antonio Richardson put up, it's probably more likely that we pick him (blech) at 19 instead of Zack Martin. Also, Ju'Wuan James is probably in the mix for us after the first round. Frankly, I don't like either as a prospect ... they remind me too much of John Jerry coming out. The University of Tennessee puts out some fantastic prospects every year. It's a truly amazing school. But, somewhere, someone associated with their OL just didn't instill the right stuff in their OL.

So, when these measurements come out, just remember, everyone else is drawing the same information out of them. Beware the workout warrior ... if their tape wasn't dazzling in college, chances are it will not be dazzling in the pros. Zack Martin's was dazzling, and now without the worry of his arm length being dinosaur-like, he will move up draft boards.

Agreed, if we want Martin we probably need to move ahead of bmore at least.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”

I forgot which thread it was, but I speculated in another thread recently that there was someone wrong with him that we didn't know about, so that makes a lot sense.

Really to bad, this guy could been a top 5 draft pick, you could tell season something wasn't right.

I forgot which thread it was, but I speculated in another thread recently that there was someone wrong with him that we didn't know about, so that makes a lot sense.

Really to bad, this guy could been a top 5 draft pick, you could tell season something wasn't right.

apparently it's genetics as well, his brother has bad knees.

apparently it's genetics as well, his brother has bad knees.

I bet Saban would lf destroyed him if he tried to rest and let it heal.

There's a serious problem when college players are being pushed harder than the NFL guys.

I'm surprised that OG Trai Turner ran a 4.84. I almost wish he didn't, he was my sleeper OG and now he'll probably climb up the boards a bit. That's surprising speed for a road grader, Brandon Thomas as well. Greg Robinson is just a physical stud, plain and simple. Taylor Lewan sure tested well, but he's still somewhat on the stiff side. I'd still like to get him, though.

Edit: Also it seemed to me that Ireland would try to force Philbin's hand in who to play by either not addressing positions in free agency (he made almost no effort to fix the O-line after the first season Philbin was here knowing most of the O-line didn't fit the ZBS) or the draft (trades away Brandon Marshall and made no effort to replace him cause he though his "diamonds in the rough" undrafted free agent WRs would rise to the occasion). So Philbin was forced to play Martin at LT, Philbin was forced to have to play below average talent at WR and Philbin has been forced to play linebackers that don't fit the scheme plus a number of other positions.

If you think Philbin wasn't responsible for the Marshall trade you need to give your head a shake...didn't fit the Philbin model and got kicked to the curb for nothing once he arrived.

My thoughts on the OL...
- Taylor Lewan made some money today, he'd fit our system. I thought he was a little fringy for a ZBS but was airing on the side he would fit, now it's a no brainer.
- I'm intrigued by Brandon Thomas...big strong man.
- Greg Robinson is a MAN, he's been my top tackle since he declared and he isn't disappointing. That guy is an animal, and that 40 was shocking.
- Su'a Filo is a guy I think we could target at 19, but more realistically if we trade down into the late 1st. Haven't watched enough of him yet but his movement is fantastic.
- Cyrus oh Cyrus...it shouldn't take this genetic knee issue to move him down draft boards, on tape he's more of a 3rd round prospect, I just never got it and now he's likely to freefall.

I want Antonio Richardson and Brandon linder

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I originally was interested in Richardson too, but this new info today - I'm not touching him

Charles Davis said today as soon as NFL ppl get digging into his medicals, he's going to plummet on draft boards.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327903/article/davis-antonio-richardsons-knee-issues-could-hurt-draft-stock

Davis, a former Volunteers defensive back, told College Football 24/7 that this was his opinion, not what he was hearing from either the college or NFL community. But if NFL teams discover medical issues with Richardson here this week, he might have one of the most historical drop-offs in stock we've ever seen, going from one of the nation's top tackles just a year ago to one that might be on the bubble of getting drafted.

If you think Philbin wasn't responsible for the Marshall trade you need to give your head a shake...didn't fit the Philbin model and got kicked to the curb for nothing once he arrived.

My thoughts on the OL...
- Taylor Lewan made some money today, he'd fit our system. I thought he was a little fringy for a ZBS but was airing on the side he would fit, now it's a no brainer.
- I'm intrigued by Brandon Thomas...big strong man.
- Greg Robinson is a MAN, he's been my top tackle since he declared and he isn't disappointing. That guy is an animal, and that 40 was shocking.
- Su'a Filo is a guy I think we could target at 19, but more realistically if we trade down into the late 1st. Haven't watched enough of him yet but his movement is fantastic.
- Cyrus oh Cyrus...it shouldn't take this genetic knee issue to move him down draft boards, on tape he's more of a 3rd round prospect, I just never got it and now he's likely to freefall.

I like the point on Su'a Filo. If Martin is gone by 19 trade down if possible get that extra pick and Get Su'a Filo. As well Lewan is definitely out of the conversation at 19 he will most likely be gone by 15 at the latest.

Oh I know Philbin had everything to do with the Marshall trade and truthfully I had no problem with it. He had a big mouth and pairing him with a rookie QB could have been a disaster. My issue was with the fact that Ireland traded him before the draft and never replaced him. I wanted us to draft Chris Givens and Marvin Jones that year...Jones went in the 5th round and had a breakout season last year. Would have been nice to have had him in Tannehill's rookie year. Draft some skill positions instead of having to sign these high priced free agents all the time but Ireland was mister play it safe and I think he hated the idea of taking skill positions early in the draft.

What does everyone think of OL Brandon Thomas of Clemson?? I've seen him projected anywhere between the late 2nd and early 4th. Lots of people think he's gonna have to move to guard from LT but I'm not one of them. He's got quality feet, great strength (as proven by his bench #'s) and some people are starting to think he might be able to stick on the left side. He had a great senior bowl and I've now scouted 3 of his games and feel comfortable saying he may be my #5 OT in this draft and a guy who's stock may begin to rise throughout the process. His best position may be RT, but I really think he can handle the leftside long-term if not right away. He plays with a great anchor and moves well for a man his size. Lined up against Clowney (on the video I've posted) he gets pinned with 1 sack which was actually on Boyd for bailing out of the pocket and he was beat bad inside on another play for a QB hit. Aside from that he kept the potential #1 pick at bay throughout the game. He's a tiny bit stiff in pass pro which leads to some guys beating him inside, but on the whole to me this guy is a fringe 1st rounder and would be a steal in round 2 and start day 1. I think he can play both guard and tackle spots.

Full game: Matched up against Clowney most of the night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlZlmj_AvnA

Syracuse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f07_9YPj06g

Ohio St.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_JBv1fsM4

Edit: Apparently he only measured in at 6-3...so maybe I was a little quick to bill him a tackle, but he has great length. Whether it's guard or tackle I think he's being overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom